Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 3, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #42,753 of 150,788
Serious question for you: why are you looking for a Schiit transport? Don't get me wrong, I love Schiit and the way they expand the market and create new (or modernize) categories (a nice $99 DAC, affordable multi-watt class A HP amp, Multibit DACs, Continuity, etc.), but what more could they bring to a transport? Isn't that a solved problem, with many quality products at a range of prices? Again, I'm not a schiiting on your desire, I only want to understand better. Maybe I'm just out of the loop because the only time I ever spin a CD is to rip to FLAC for my NAS and Squeezebox/RPi players.

Schiit can bring out a lower cost high quality transport that is modular. They could sell it with just a transport and no DAC or you could buy it with a DS or MB DAC module. Schiit does "high value" better than anyone I can think of in the industry.

I don't need a CD transport as I rip all of my CDs to FLAC and play them via Roon/HQPe. But, not everyone does this. Some people might not even have a DAC and use the DAC built into their CD/SACD transport. Others may want to be able to play a CD without ripping it.

Jan 3, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #42,754 of 150,788
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
;;

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #42,756 of 150,788
Serious question for you: why are you looking for a Schiit transport? Don't get me wrong, I love Schiit and the way they expand the market and create new (or modernize) categories (a nice $99 DAC, affordable multi-watt class A HP amp, Multibit DACs, Continuity, etc.), but what more could they bring to a transport? Isn't that a solved problem, with many quality products at a range of prices? Again, I'm not a schiiting on your desire, I only want to understand better. Maybe I'm just out of the loop because the only time I ever spin a CD is to rip to FLAC for my NAS and Squeezebox/RPi players.
buy a cheap second hand cd player. I use my very old rotel dvd player and sound great. Regarding what they could bring to a CD transport is their new USB interface I think. Currently my own media flow changed drastically/ Discovery is streaming via internet (Spotify/Mixcloud/websites), if I like it I buy the CD (have to admit that . Lately availability is becoming an issue, especially in store ... I miss those moments of browsing media in store. Great Saturday mornings listening to unknown music with a free coffee :coffee:

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #42,762 of 150,788
Teac is a Japanese company owned by the Gibson Guitar Company. I do not know where they manufacture their CD/DVD transports.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #42,764 of 150,788
My point being of course that its not made in the US.
I don't know if there even is a US spinner manufacturer.
but at certain price levels you ve to make consensus... like they did with the power adapter for the Vali. I got a Vali2 recently and I absolutely don't hear it is a power adapter from China :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back