Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 1, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #42,721 of 150,702
]I wasn't referring to "ass" when I talked about profanity laced interviews. "Sounds like ass" isn't very profane but it is juvenile. Maybe it's a California thing but most people don't drop the F word in quite so much in public interviews. He plainly doesn't care what people think of him, which is fine.

In this day and age I say thank F@:k for that. Oops sorry.

In my opinion, if you think "sounds like ass" and f--- this and f---ing that are funny, you might have an underdeveloped sense of humor.

You would be surprised at how much meaning there can be in the word 'F@:k'

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #42,722 of 150,702
Jan 1, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #42,723 of 150,702
First, Happy New Year to Jason, Mike and all the Schiitheads out there.

It's been fun to read the various posts asking for such and such a new product, which usually generate a barrage of responses along the lines of, Jason said he's never gonna do that. Then to visit the Schiit website and browse all the gear that Jason once said wasn't on the agenda. Things do change, after all. Technology evolves, as do Jason and Mike's opinions and aspirations. That's why I won't be surprised by the appearance of a Schiit Class D amp. Though probably not this quarter.

Jason especially seems to have a low boredom threshold. Some designers spend their entire careers perfecting a pet topology. Jason is more like, Huh, I built that two years ago, now I'm gonna try this. I think he's a circuit junkie - like a theologian in a bordello, he wants to sample everything. Which is why his post about umpteen new products for 2019 might be a bit concerning. Unless he and Mike have cloned themselves, how can Schiit do it all?

Well, they can't, of course. Just as Jason enjoys playing Merry Prankster to the audiophile establishment, he occasionally likes to mess with us, his devoted fans and customers. So I take his scattergun predictions with more than a grain of salt, while I enjoy my Schiit and happily anticipate the next installment.

Thanks, Jason! Thanks, Mike!

Jan 1, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #42,724 of 150,702
In my world, the "F" word is a normal part of discourse. I use it liberally every day. I see nothing particularly wrong with using it any f**king way someone likes. Indeed, it is one of the most versatile words in the English language and can be used appropriately as all parts of speech. Negatively judging people who use it tells me the judge is either humorless, has never spent a day anywhere near the active enlisted military, or is in the American Taliban.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #42,725 of 150,702
In my world, the "F" word is a normal part of discourse. I use it liberally every day. I see nothing particularly wrong with using it any f**king way someone likes. Indeed, it is one of the most versatile words in the English language and can be used appropriately as all parts of speech. Negatively judging people who use it tells me the judge is either humorous, has never spent a day anywhere near the active enlisted military, or is in the American Taliban.
I spent 10 years in the USAF and that is how everyone talked. Took me years to get out of the habit. It has nothing to do with humor. It is a matter of opinion how appropriate one thinks it is. In most usages it doesn't really have a meaning, it's just sprinkled in from habit. I don't like oatmeal and I don't f--ing ilke oatmeal mean the same thing. l spent most of my life working as an engineer and sitting in meetings with other engineers. F-bombs were rare. When someone uses profanity all the time, it loses it's meaning. I see Jason cringe at times during joint interviews. It's not just me. In every society, in every country constant foul language is considered low class. Negatively judging a person for expecting a bit more decorum from the head of a company doing a public interview isn't all that admirable. American Taliban. Give me a break. I never said it should be punished, only that it sounds adolescent.

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #42,726 of 150,702
I wasn't referring to "ass" when I talked about profanity-laced interviews. "Sounds like ass" isn't very profane but it is juvenile. Maybe it's a California thing but most people don't drop the F word in quite so much in public interviews. He plainly doesn't care what people think of him, which is fine. As far as humor goes, no one that knows me would say I was humorless. In my opinion, if you think "sounds like ass" and f--- this and f---ing that are funny, you might have an underdeveloped sense of humor.

I suppose the sense of humor is dependent upon location and setting, kind of like Music. Would a synthesizer sound better in the cavernous empty church or in a studio? Very subjective, as is humor. Richard Pryor and Jay-Z use a word, that most white folks find offensive. Within the folks who are non-white, it is a term of endearment. Some folks actually prefer headphones over speakers. Really? I wonder if you have as much concern about the Japanese designer, who Darko will never interview, who screams the English equivalent "Carp Guts" and uses it frequently in all conversations? There are some Koreans, who find Carp Guts as offensive as you do "Fornication Under Consent of the King" or is better-known acronym F%@K?

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #42,727 of 150,702
Colbert_popcorn.gif

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #42,729 of 150,702
I suppose the sense of humor is dependent upon location and setting, kind of like Music. Would a synthesizer sound better in the cavernous empty church or in a studio? Very subjective, as is humor. Richard Pryor and Jay-Z use a word, that most white folks find offensive. Within the folks who are non-white, it is a term of endearment. Some folks actually prefer headphones over speakers. Really? I wonder if you have as much concern about the Japanese designer, who Darko will never interview, who screams the English equivalent "Carp Guts" and uses it frequently in all conversations? There are some Koreans, who find Carp Guts as offensive as you do "Fornication Under Consent of the King" or is better-known acronym F%@K?
Look, I am not that offended. It is just my opinion that it is inappropriate in a public interview. That is not a minority opinion. Most companies would not stand for it. It's not standup comedy, it's a public interview about upcoming products. Some of you think that it's somehow endearing. You are entitled to that opinion as I am to mine. Quite frankly, listening to Jason makes me want to buy more Schiit. Listening to Mike makes me question whether I want to patronize a company run by someone who comes off like an arrogant jerk. I know something about arrogant jerks, having been one for a good part of my life. Time and perspective has mellowed that. This has wandered around in the weeds long enough. I am done with this topic and will unsubscribe from the thread for a while so I won't be tempted to respond to the inevitable rebuttals.

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #42,730 of 150,702
I believe a wise man once said this about one aspect of running a business.

“Be memorable—this isn’t about getting everyone to like you, this is about getting some people to love you.”

Ah yes, I remember it well. We were in the midst of becoming stewards for the UNIX trademark and I was interviewed about one company's claims that they owned the trademark. "Bulshit" I said. Chuck said "Can I quote you?" and I said yes after a moments thought.

The conversation with my boss, the CEO, was interesting starting with "Why is it always you?"

I pointed out that I could guarantee non-controversial statements (i was the head of marketing), but that also meant little or no interest in media.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #42,732 of 150,702
Personally, I like Mike and Jason's interviews and have yet to be disturbed by any language used. They seem to have a kind of a Ying and Yang thing going on between them.

Plus I would say when you reach the point Mike has in life that he has earned the right to speak the way he likes.

And I doubt he cares very much if others like it or not.

:)

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #42,733 of 150,702
So my Freya is on the way back and FEDEX just notified me of a delivery. That's the good news. The more worrying aspect is that they couldn't "reproduce the problem", so I'm going hmmmmmm. I did ask support if they seriously tried to reproduce white smoke..........

So I'm in a quandry, I'm glad it checks out OK, but where did the white smoke come from? Can valves produce smoke, they seem solid enough afterwards and they have gone off to Tom......

We shall see.......

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #42,734 of 150,702
So whilst they Freya has been on holiday in California, I've used the Modi from my office setup and have been pleasantly surprised by the SQ.

However there is one frustrating thing that has only happened since this changeout. Once in a while, maybe a couple of times in an evening, there will be a huge "pop" at the start of a track. It deosn't seem to be consistent, though have noticed it more on Diana Krall tracks. Can that be so?

Any thoughts on what is causing that? It doesn't happen with the Freya in the pipeline.

Cheers

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #42,735 of 150,702
So whilst they Freya has been on holiday in California, I've used the Modi from my office setup and have been pleasantly surprised by the SQ.

However there is one frustrating thing that has only happened since this changeout. Once in a while, maybe a couple of times in an evening, there will be a huge "pop" at the start of a track. It deosn't seem to be consistent, though have noticed it more on Diana Krall tracks. Can that be so?

Any thoughts on what is causing that? It doesn't happen with the Freya in the pipeline.

Cheers
Does the sound correspond to a sample rate change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back