Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 1, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #42,706 of 150,702
Class D is about producing a lot of power in a small footprint without melting. Are there any headphones that need 25 watts or more of power?

I hear what you are saying. Making smaller units for a given power output rating is one design imperative, making less expensive units for a given output power is another imperative, and Class-D allows for both goals to be met. Of course, such considerations are entirely aside/separate from any questions about audio quality.

I would submit there are a fair number of planar headphones which can derive some benefit from being driven with, say, 4 to 8 watt amplifiers. Class-D allows for a very compact and electrically efficient amplifier in this power range, and so if high quality audio (comparable to good quality Class-AB or Class-A amplifiers) was commonly obtainable from current Class-D amplification, then I'd think TOTL planar headphone aficionados would already be flocking to Class-D. But, is that what we actually see?

Jan 1, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #42,707 of 150,702
Jason and Mike are talented and opinionated guys who make inexpensive good quality audio gear. The fact that the gear sounds good doesn't validate all their opinions. Mike thinks streaming audio sounds terrible. That has not been my experience.

I always hope that people here are mature enough to take this kind of statements with a grain of salt and see the humor in it and not a restriction or judgement.
I am testing a music transport at the moment (Auralic Aries G2) and I never heard a CD-spinner reach that quality.
The same with my Cambridge Audio 851N Music Transport.
Of course both are linked to an Yggdrasil.

Also, while I have no doubt of Mike's qualifications as an engineer, using "sounds like ass" to describe an audio device makes him sound like a 12 year old.
Every human has a bit of Tourette's. No exceptions.
With some people one learns about it faster than with others.
I think it's kinda funny. Not that serious.

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #42,708 of 150,702
I am testing a music transport at the moment (Auralic Aries G2) and I never heard a CD-spinner reach that quality.

Will you test thr G1also? Im also interested in that

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #42,710 of 150,702
I don't think public interviews liberally laced with profanities are indicative of a sense of humor. I do, however, respect Schiit for not taking themselves too seriously. Most companies would never put an irascible old crank like him in front of a camera.

I believe a wise man once said this about one aspect of running a business.

“Be memorable—this isn’t about getting everyone to like you, this is about getting some people to love you.”

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #42,711 of 150,702
"Sounds like ass" is a very valid and descriptive audio term. It's been in use for decades, and appropriately describes the flatulence-like character of some inferior gear or technologies. Much like a person who lacks a sense of humor and thinks "ass" is "profanity", gear which "sounds like ass" is to be disregarded by music lovers and audiophiles, or improved upon by clever designers.

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #42,712 of 150,702
LOL the sense of humor part would be important.:wink:

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #42,713 of 150,702
Class D is about producing a lot of power in a small footprint without melting. Are there any headphones that need 25 watts or more of power?

Indeed, looking at the power need of headphones, I don't see the point of developing a Class D headphone amp. It would probably add complexity without any benefit.

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #42,714 of 150,702
Happy New Year to all. With all the equipment releases promised (with the usual caveats) by Jason, it will be a piece of cake to have a good year....

On my previous remark, the discussion focused completely on Class D amplification. But I also mentioned switch mode power supplies (which work really very well in Chord power amps in my experience, but also Soulution moved to switch mode power supplies because they find them BETTER than linear power supplies) versus linear power supplies. Any ideas on this?

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #42,716 of 150,702
afc84fbacbb5d8b68495c0.jpg

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #42,717 of 150,702
Nope, no second chance to make a first expression. I have over 15 pieces of Schitt gear, most I'm happy with, designing and building seem to be there forte, not customer service. As long as they bring out new pieces I like then I will be a customer, but I will add the bad experience into my decision making, my money will go to who treats me better all things being the same.
Fifteen pieces of Schiit...I think you have already made their point. Bad customer service is bad for any business, but I think the issues that Schiit has handled this past year means that their new resolve to work on improving CS will be a top priority. I know at times they have been short-handed. with one person handling three jobs. It happens. Overall, there must have been a reason to buy 15 of what you bought. And to whom will your money flow--to the "other" $99 DAC makers?

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #42,718 of 150,702
Well just checked my watch and I've got about two hours or less to go until the big 2019. Has anyone made their New Year's resolutions yet? Mine is to buy some more Schiit. I need to upgrade to a Magni 3 and a Modi 3.

Also, chewing bubblegum and kicking ass. Unfortunately I always seem to run out of bubblegum.
I own both the Magni 3 and have a Vali 2... have you experienced tubes? The Magni 3 is great HP amp but I really prefer the tube sound...just a suggestion.

Jan 1, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #42,719 of 150,702
"Sounds like ass" is a very valid and descriptive audio term. It's been in use for decades, and appropriately describes the flatulence-like character of some inferior gear or technologies. Much like a person who lacks a sense of humor and thinks "ass" is "profanity", gear which "sounds like ass" is to be disregarded by music lovers and audiophiles, or improved upon by clever designers.
I wasn't referring to "ass" when I talked about profanity laced interviews. "Sounds like ass" isn't very profane but it is juvenile. Maybe it's a California thing but most people don't drop the F word in quite so much in public interviews. He plainly doesn't care what people think of him, which is fine. As far as humor goes, no one that knows me would say I was humorless. In my opinion, if you think "sounds like ass" and f--- this and f---ing that are funny, you might have an underdeveloped sense of humor.

Jan 1, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #42,720 of 150,702
Happy New Year to all. With all the equipment releases promised (with the usual caveats) by Jason, it will be a piece of cake to have a good year....

On my previous remark, the discussion focused completely on Class D amplification. But I also mentioned switch mode power supplies (which work really very well in Chord power amps in my experience, but also Soulution moved to switch mode power supplies because they find them BETTER than linear power supplies) versus linear power supplies. Any ideas on this?

Implementation:thinking:

Bel Canto does this too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back