Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 29, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #41,177 of 155,088
Discontinuing; difficult to build and they aren't selling that well per Jason. See Jason's post a few pages back.

Nice that Jason gave us a heads up. Over on the HD800 thread it appears Sennheiser has discontinued that model (perhaps a new and improved version coming?).
A couple of posters noted that the model is no longer listed on Senns website so it appears to be the case that it is nla. But there are probably plenty around various dealerships and the
supply of used ones that will eventually go up for sale used is endless.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #41,178 of 155,088
At this point I'm really not loving the USB, optical is better in my case, as usual YMMV. :wink:

I wanted to use USB all along (with my Gumby) but the music would drop. Too unstable, likely a clock thing.

So, switched to optical. AQ Diamond toslink. Uber stable and decent SQ.

Then came the GMB + Gen 5 USB. All of a sudden, USB was solved. Stable and clear ... no drop issues.
I went back & forth for a while, and finally settled on the USB as my preference. But, they are close for sure.

I am (as others) looking forward to Mike's USB "reinvented" or whatever Schiit calls it ... bring it on, @Baldr :)

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #41,179 of 155,088
The Hd8oo must be the most discussed headphone ever.
I hope they sent some of the remaining LISST (octals for Freya) to europe.
I`ve been trying to get a hold of them but no luck so far.
(Or I`ve been looking in the wrong places but it seems we didnt get any over here.)

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #41,180 of 155,088
I wanted to use USB all along (with my Gumby) but the music would drop. Too unstable, likely a clock thing.

Just curious -- did the "get a better source" LED light up when that happened?

I've never seen mine lit up.

JC

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #41,181 of 155,088
Discontinuing; difficult to build and they aren't selling that well per Jason. See Jason's post a few pages back.

Nice that Jason gave us a heads up. Over on the HD800 thread it appears Sennheiser has discontinued that model (perhaps a new and improved version coming?).
A couple of posters noted that the model is no longer listed on Senns website so it appears to be the case that it is nla. But there are probably plenty around various dealerships and the
supply of used ones that will eventually go up for sale used is endless.

Wow - correct.
HD800 no longer listed for sale on the Sennheiser website.
OMG - the end of the titan!

The Best dynamic headphone ever made. To this day, no real competitor (bring it on).

IMO, the HD800S is not close (heard 'em).
From comments, the HD820 is a wanna be, but Schiit, it's a closed can.

Thx for the heads-up @FLTWS.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #41,182 of 155,088
Just curious -- did the "get a better source" LED light up when that happened?

I've never seen mine lit up.

JC

No ... when the USB would drop, the music would just stop and usually crash JRiver as well.
Not a nice thingy. Reboot time.

I think it was too fast an event for the "get a better source" LED to activate.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #41,183 of 155,088

So, switched to optical. AQ Diamond toslink. Uber stable and decent SQ.

Then came the GMB + Gen 5 USB. All of a sudden, USB was solved. Stable and clear ... no drop issues.
I went back & forth for a while, and finally settled on the USB as my preference. But, they are close for sure.

I am (as others) looking forward to Mike's USB "reinvented" or whatever Schiit calls it ... bring it on, @Baldr :)

I have glass toslink but I use USB for the Gumby and never had any issues. I also let several friends check it out both ways and nobody chose one over the other. The USB is certainly less fragile and I am constantly moving things around so I have a couple reasons why it is my preference.

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #41,184 of 155,088
I have glass toslink but I use USB for the Gumby and never had any issues. I also let several friends check it out both ways and nobody chose one over the other. The USB is certainly less fragile and I am constantly moving things around so I have a couple reasons why it is my preference.

Thanks for the confirmation ...

Oct 29, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #41,185 of 155,088
Thanks for the confirmation ...

It is like when I asked my daughter why she wanted to be vegetarian. It was not so much her love of animals but she hated vegetables. JK In my case, I have done some serious fiber optic training and I prefer working with copper. :)

Oct 29, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #41,186 of 155,088
Pentatonix, an A capella group out of Texas

This particular song may not be to everyone's taste but I think the singers do an amazing job getting the music across, amazingly tight harmony. I'd really like to hear them doing Renaissance music: William Byrd, Orlando di Lasso and others.

I performed with an early music in college, I miss the a capella singing.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #41,187 of 155,088
Vegetarian = good. Lots of veggies.
Fiber optic training = must be good!
Copper = good, even shiny at times.
Did I miss anything?

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #41,189 of 155,088
Robert,
I have the DigiPlus Pro and a Bifrost Multibit with Gen 5 USB. I cannot discern a difference between USB and Toslink/SPDIF coming from my Pi using Moode. That said, I could definitely tell a difference with the original Gen 2 or 3 USB card (equivalent to Mimby USB?) on the Bifrost Multibit. The Pi USB with the Gen 5 USB work very well together.
Thanks,
Barry
I have the Gen 5 on the Gungnir Multibit, and it is impressive. The toslink kills two birds with oine stone--the Sprout100 has only Toslink or USB input, I want to play with the Sprout some more. It handles USB quite well, I can't wait to try the SPDIF feed.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #41,190 of 155,088
I’m a little surpised and sad to hear about LISST. I thought a fair number of people would be into the idea of switching between SS and Tube. I’ve always planned on getting one for my Saga, but held off during my last order since I got a Tung Sol tube instead. I might pick one up now since it’s my last shot. Too bad there isn’t any clerance pricing.

Also, I noticed “Loki Mini” listed on the B-stock page even though Loki is never called that on the product page. Maybe it’s bigger brother, which Jason has talked about before, is imminent. Will the original Loki then be renammed Loki Mini and the new product named Loki Maxi or Loki Uber, or even just Loki? This would be confusing for anyone familiar with the line before the change, but wouldn’t matter much to anyone else. I can see this happening because Jason has mentioned in the past specifically liking the Loki name. After all, that’s why it’s been used twice (for the discontinued DSD DAC and the current tone control). Maybe he’s really proud of the bigger tone control and would rather shift the names around than call it something else. Or maybe someone just typed it wrong on the B-stock page. Or maybe it was done intentionally to give me something to think about while unable to sleep.

Now back to considering spending $63 on an Octal LISST (including tax and shipping) before it’s too late to throw my money away.

EDIT: I noticed they mention Loki Mini on the Faq of the product page while reading it and considering purchasing it along with LISST. So everything I said above is pointless, sorry if you read it. I still wouldn’t be surprised if the bigger tone control is close to release, but don’t wait for it on my account. Clearly, I don’t know Schiit.

Brother, you had me salivating in short order with your talk of a possibly immanent Loki Maxi. Please put a warning at the top of your post next time, I drooled on my laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back