Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 22, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #40,711 of 150,715
As someone that has gone through many surgeries and talked in depth with many surgeons I can agree. Most docs need those days of appendectomies and the like. There is a tremendous amount of stress (on both sides of the knife) going into major surgeries. After all, it is a life you are messing with. In my experience, emergency procedures are the least stressful because you don’t have time to think about it. Fight or flight; the human brain is a powerful thing.

This comment is more to a post in this thread about 7-10 days back but hey....

I believe in both Western medicine and alternate types. They've both demonstrated that they work to my full satisfaction. It's not either/or, it's both, not to mention a balanced life style.

Oct 22, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #40,712 of 150,715
We're in the same camp. The Gadget would only be a novelty in my system, soon forgotten or a subject of buyer's regret. I've even ruled out Loki because I'd spend far more time adjusting than enjoying music; get it sounding great with King Crimson, then it sounds off playing Chick Corea. Heck, I even leave my tone controls flat.

Just finished "Larks Tongues in Aspic Pt 2" and "Fracture" about 20 min ago... fan of Chick, Flora and Stanley as well.. all good...

Oct 22, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #40,713 of 150,715
Just finished "Larks Tongues in Aspic Pt 2"

Dream Theater do a great cover of Larks Tongues on the bonus disc that came with the Black Clouds and Silver Linings Special Edition (as well as other great covers). It's on Spotify if you want to check it out and don't already have it.

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #40,714 of 150,715
Just finished "Larks Tongues in Aspic Pt 2" and "Fracture" about 20 min ago... fan of Chick, Flora and Stanley as well.. all good...

I've be loving this old CD I have tonight :o2smile:

s-l1600.jpg

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #40,715 of 150,715
Okay, totally on-topic question, by the rules: Asgard 2 and heat.

I get it that it dissipates 40 watts as heat. I really do. But I didn't expect even the volume control to be too hot to hold after a couple of seconds. Is that really the way it is? I didn't expect 40 watts to be THAT hot.

It sounds good, so there's no reason for it to go back. It's just a bit of a shock to me.
When I owned an Asgard 2, the volume control was never too hot to operate. But then my home office is always around 71F ~ 21C.

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #40,716 of 150,715
My point of posting musical recommendations ALSO on the music tread tends to be willingly wrongly interpreted by people who: or are not capable to read or people who want to score brownie points.
My reasoning, that such postings here are well received but misplaced if ONLY placed here in this resort, still stands.
Get a life ladies. We're all dispensable nono's with some(times) moderate ego-issues here.
Not everyone on this website is Schiit inclined but all are music lovers.
Yup, for Pete’s sake - tell me about stuff that I don’t know. Point me at music I’ve never heard. I may not love all of it, but NONE goes unappreciated. My bad for not thanking the person who posted that Prince after-gig club set (OMG!), as well as whomever told me about the tenor sax of Bob Reynolds, too.

Happy to share what I know and what makes me happy as well, and thanks to all for teaching me all kinds of schiit I don’t know, about Schiit and music. Gimme...

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #40,717 of 150,715
...whomever told me about the tenor sax of Bob Reynolds, too.

Since you liked my Bob Reynolds recommendation, here's another Jazz album to try ...

Album: Prism
Artist: Dave Holland, Eric Harland, Kevin Eubanks (yes, from the Tonight Show), and Craig Taborn

A well recorded studio album with Kevin's excellent Jazz electric guitar-work, Dave's outstanding bass, Eric's incredible drums and Craig's wonderful keyboard.

Available on Bandcamp.com, Tidal, and Spotify!!

*** And if you haven't listend to Bob Reyonlds' album 'Guitar Band' -- do it!!!

:wink:

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #40,718 of 150,715
Since you liked my Bob Reynolds recommendation, here's another Jazz album to try ...

Artist: Dave Holland, Eric Harland, Kevin Eubanks (yes, from the Tonight Show), and Craig Taborn

A well recorded studio album with Kevin's excellent Jazz electric guitar-work, Dave's outstanding bass, Eric's incredible drums and Craig's wonderful keyboard.

Ty twice, sir! And in the see one, play one category, see if you can find anything from the Essbjörn Svensson Trio (EST).

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #40,720 of 150,715

If you like Prism, try Matthew Stevens' Preverbal.

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #40,721 of 150,715
Yup, for Pete’s sake - tell me about stuff that I don’t know. Point me at music I’ve never heard. I may not love all of it, but NONE goes unappreciated. My bad for not thanking the person who posted that Prince after-gig club set (OMG!), as well as whomever told me about the tenor sax of Bob Reynolds, too.

Happy to share what I know and what makes me happy as well, and thanks to all for teaching me all kinds of schiit I don’t know, about Schiit and music. Gimme...
Since You asked, I doubt many know this one:

Unfortunately, this disc is out of print. Raga Yaman is considered one of the simplest Ragas and this performance has a stately enough pace that even a novice can follow the fractal progressions as they slowly expand and then contract during the performance.

Raga Yaman is an evening Raga and historically is not played before the disc of sun has begun to touch the horizon. So settle down, preferably where you can watch the sunset and enjoy.

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #40,722 of 150,715
I watched the Ragnarok build video on the Schiit channel this morning.
The man building the Ragnarok speaks about "devices" a few times.
Can somebody who saw it tell me what he means by that?

Perhaps output devices like transistors?

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #40,723 of 150,715
Okay, totally on-topic question, by the rules: Asgard 2 and heat.

I get it that it dissipates 40 watts as heat. I really do. But I didn't expect even the volume control to be too hot to hold after a couple of seconds. Is that really the way it is? I didn't expect 40 watts to be THAT hot.

The volume control on my Asgard 2 has never been too hot to hold. Does your amp have good ventilation?

JC

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #40,724 of 150,715

<snark>Your tastes run more into smooth Jazz than mine, so just to prove that we can take Jazz and not destroy it,</snark> I'm going to counter your recommendation with one for John Scofield.

I've been a fan of his since I ran across a couple of Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood shows earlier this year (legal audience recordings available on the intarwebs, if you look hard enough). IMHO Scofield's guitar adds a whole other rock-like dimension to MMW's avant-jazz. Really makes it more approachable and enjoyable for me.

As far as an album recommendation, I'll go with Scofield's Uberjam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Überjam which also features Medeski on keyboards on a few tracks.

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #40,725 of 150,715
<snark>Your tastes run more into smooth Jazz than mine, so just to prove that we can take Jazz and not destroy it,</snark> I'm going to counter your recommendation with one for John Scofield.

I've been a fan of his since I ran across a couple of Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood shows earlier this year (legal audience recordings available on the intarwebs, if you look hard enough). IMHO Scofield's guitar adds a whole other rock-like dimension to MMW's avant-jazz. Really makes it more approachable and enjoyable for me.

As far as an album recommendation, I'll go with Scofield's Uberjam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Überjam which also features Medeski on keyboards on a few tracks.

Yeah. Most of my listening is in the evening and at night as I try to wind down from the day. :)

No love lost for Scofield. While I do enjoy his music, I do need to explore more of his work as my exposure is limited to 'A Go Go' and 'Bump'. I do have 'Combo 66' queued up on my Tidal list, but just haven't gotten to it yet. Excellent recommendation that I'll be sure to add. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back