Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 20, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #40,576 of 149,848
Just bought a B-stock Vali 2. I "upgraded" almost 5 months ago to the Jotunheim, and to be honest I've been missing the tube flavor of the Vali after I sold my previous one. Went to Tube Depot and ordered an EH 6CG7 and I'm done.

Sometimes you don't realize how good something is until it's gone.

Does the current b-stock Vali 2 have the new volume knob or old one?

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #40,578 of 149,848
YOU HAVE RUINED ME!!!!! I can't recall who pointed me at the eBay listings or the other tube recommends, but thank you - I think :)

Today I picked up two sets of Russian tubes for my Freya. I got the 6N7S and the 6N8S sets of 4. So far I put in the 6N7S / 6H7C / 6N7GT FOTON tubes and I can't believe the difference. Much more mellow, rounded and less "tinny" than the Tung Sols. I was afraid that I wouldn't hear any difference, but so far very happy.

So I have a couple of questions: How does one store all these tubes? I'd appreciate recommends for safe storage - I remember one reference to display cases, I would love a good source for those.

Second, these are all advertised as New / NOS, but have significant darkening on one lower quadrant of each tube. Is that normal for NOS?

The 6N7S tubes claim to be older than I am, and I ain't no spring checkin! Thanks for all the previous guidance.

Cheers

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #40,579 of 149,848
YOU HAVE RUINED ME!!!!! I can't recall who pointed me at the eBay listings or the other tube recommends, but thank you - I think :)

Today I picked up two sets of Russian tubes for my Freya. I got the 6N7S and the 6N8S sets of 4. So far I put in the 6N7S / 6H7C / 6N7GT FOTON tubes and I can't believe the difference. Much more mellow, rounded and less "tinny" than the Tung Sols. I was afraid that I wouldn't hear any difference, but so far very happy.

So I have a couple of questions: How does one store all these tubes? I'd appreciate recommends for safe storage - I remeember one reference to display cases, I would love a good source for those.

Second, these are all advertised as New / NOS, but have significant darkening on one lower quadrant of each tube. Is that normal for NOS?

The 6N7S tubes claim to be older than I am, and I ain't no spring checkin! Thanks for all the previous guidance.

Cheers
What goes around comes around. Ever since your recommendation of Second Spin Records, I have been nursing a $40 per week habit. I feel like a junkie!

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #40,583 of 149,848
As the infamous Mr Schofield says "Very Droll".
Mwah.. more an automatic reaction to the tube hype in audioland today.
Not at you mind...
I have my tubes stuck in a sort of black stiff neoprene.
Indeed as a sort of decoration thingy.
Tubes are not more delicate than other thin glass enclosures and they look nice (to us).
Sensible people think we're bonkers with that old "radio/tv stuff".

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #40,584 of 149,848
So I have a couple of quest How does one store all these tubes?
Cheers
I just wrap in bubble wrap, close with a mailing size label sharpied with tube info, and store in a sturdy box. Hope someone else chimes in with the display case info, as this method sux for that! And I’ll also second my thanks/chagrin fror the SeconDspin referral. Some old prince discs arriving today...

Just realised I wrote “sharpied”... Shoulda said “biroed” - that’ll only work for a few of us!
Cheers! J

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #40,587 of 149,848
You can buy blank boxes of the appropriate tube size from places like
upload_2018-10-20_18-28-42.png

My last order
upload_2018-10-20_18-31-1.png

upload_2018-10-20_18-32-20.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-20_18-29-38.png
    upload_2018-10-20_18-29-38.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread