Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 20, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #40,592 of 152,592
Yeah, Mike has mentioned a CD transport (another spinner) on his thread. Don't qoute me on this, but when Mike says spinner I believe he is referring to Sol only. Believe he refers to the CD as a transport, not a spinner.

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #40,594 of 152,592
Check out Mike's (@Baldr) posts. He is working on a CD transport. :wink:

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #40,595 of 152,592
I arrived back home from RMAF and an extended week of National Park visiting in Southern Utah over the weekend. Wow! Bryce Canyon, Arches, Capitol Reef, Zion, and Canyonlands. The capper was the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Simply stunning. Almost argues intelligent universe design.

So back here at Schiit setting up the order of the cast parts for the Sol. (Someone asked if we include a dustcover – Sorry, no. There are folks on ebay who custom fabricate them, albeit for mucho $$$.) We need to go to the foundry to work out some cosmetic aspects of said cast parts. Then we will be at the point where everything should be on order for the Sol. I stand by first quarter 2019 delivery.

Next on the horizon will be the transport, the music processor/DAC front end, and a (tease, tease) top secret apparatus for the second quarter next year. The transport needs a bit of programming from Ivana, a button/control processor which is a major imbedded step towards the Schiit Pie, and a layout of the signal processing section. Call that second/third quarter 2019.

The music processor is a bit further out. The gadget engineering/proof of concept is done. I will be soon playing with an expander to see if it feasible in a lack of sonic fuctivity sense. The key is independent unlimit/expansion params which could be a giant whet dream. The only way to judge is to do it.

The new USB is done through Beta. A major caveat is that it is our first USB section and will need quite a bit of Beta eval since I want to ensure it really will work with any equipment, any time, and anywhere. More will be revealed.

So all of this Schiit is being worked on – should come out in this order:

1. Sol.

2. Transport

3. That which cannot be uttered.

4. Music processor/Swiss Army Knife/DAC front end; Hell, I don’t know What to call it.

Stay tuned – I hope to finish the ten year plan in five! It is good to be back!

Here's the most concrete post yet from him on a CD spinner. I'm excited. Might be more likely to get into a CD player from them than a turntable. I already have two I'm happy with... For now

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #40,599 of 152,592
Yeah, Mike has mentioned a CD transport (another spinner) on his thread. Don't qoute me on this, but when Mike says spinner I believe he is referring to Sol only. Believe he refers to the CD as a transport, not a spinner.

From Mikes thread:
So all of this Schiit is being worked on – should come out in this order:

1. Sol.

2. Transport

3. That which cannot be uttered.

4. Music processor/Swiss Army Knife/DAC front end; Hell, I don’t know What to call it.

Stay tuned – I hope to finish the ten year plan in five! It is good to be back!

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #40,600 of 152,592
I cringe at the thought of those semiconductor junctions being cooked like that.
Nah, it will be OK, at least if the surrounding air temperature is not tropical.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #40,603 of 152,592
:thinking:

I'm pretty sure it's a whole number falling between the numbers 2 and 4.

:smirk:

(Sorry. Couldn't help myself.)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #40,604 of 152,592
Random question: has anyone used a modi in a car audio situation? If use will power it, it should be possible to implement it. I would imagine you would have a hard time finding a 12v processor that would have a dac of modi quality.
It has been discussed, but I don't remember the outcome. However, most car stereos aren't resolving enough that it would make a difference. If you want a clear and obvious improvement, do any or all of the usual car audio mods: upgrade the speakers, add an external amp, add a subwoofer, DSP correction.

If you did want to use a Modi in the car, it wouldn't be difficult. Modi 3 is powered by 5V USB, and there are 12V to 16V adapters you can use for the Multibit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back