Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 15, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #40,171 of 153,391
BBQ, yeah. Been all over the S looking for it. I liked it best in the area from Memphis down to N. Alabama (Decatur - Big Bob Gibson). Even New England is starting to step up their game, but its still not that good - so I cook my own - low and slow baby.

You should come over to KC and try our Joe's...

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #40,172 of 153,391
My Thomas is a service dog in training to help me. He is working on social skills right now.

You should probably keep him off this forum, then. :wink:

I moved here in Dec. 1980, so I have been a Tarheel longer than a Hoosier. Weather and good people down here is the reason. 4-hours from the coast, 2-hours from oldest Mountains on earth...and they know how to cook a hog, both Vinegar or tomato-based sauce.

I hear that they are not quite that liberal in BBQ down Texas way...:)

Oh, they love their smoked beef brisket here in Texas. Moved here in 1982 and it was a while before Pork BBQ made it's way over/down here -- even longer for vinegar-based sauce. I do love a good Pulled Pork BBQ sandwich with vinegar sauce and coleslaw piled on top. That with a Cheerwine and I'm in Carolina Blue heaven.

Don't get me wrong, there's some darnn good beef BBQ here and the sauces are varied and amazing, but it ain't the same to a Carolina boy. :D

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #40,173 of 153,391
Oh, they love their smoked beef brisket here in Texas. Moved here in 1982 and it was a while before Pork BBQ made it's way over/down here -- even longer for a vinegar-based sauce. I do love a good Pulled Pork BBQ sandwich with vinegar sauce and coleslaw piled on top.

Don't get me wrong, there's some darn good beef BBQ here and the sauces are varied and amazing, but it ain't the same to a Carolina boy. :D

Well, you know BBQ is the source of the Second Civil War here in the Carolinas-- "Western NC" (Bridges-Shelby, NC) vs. "Lexington-style" (Down East).

I was born and raised in the "Porkchop Capital of the World", Tipton Co, IN-- home to a 6-sq inch Loineye Chop from JW "Ralph" and Dora Bishop's prize Hampshire Boar, named "Sid". Sid was a genetic mutant, whose loins were growing larger than other Hogs. The Loins were Huge. (The rest of the hog made good sausage)

Ralph started selling vials of Sid's seed to the Japanese, and when the old Boar passed away, leaders of the Japanese Pork Industry paid to have Sid stuffed and put on display in their Japanese Pork Hall of Fame. He was literally the Father of Japan's Pork industry. (Sid was named for the World's Most Famous Hoosier--Radio broadcaster and the Voice of the Indianapolis 500, Sid Collins.)

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #40,174 of 153,391
giphy.gif

Was watching this movie last night.

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #40,175 of 153,391
You should come over to KC and try our Joe's...

Yeah, we've finished off the pork south for now, and are ready to turn to the beef of Texas -> KC -> Chicago. The only placed I ever lived outside of New England is Chicago, which outside of the terrible weather I liked very much - so why not a few stockyard beef joints to go with the magnificent neighborhood ethnic restaurants.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #40,176 of 153,391
Yeah, we've finished off the pork south for now, and are ready to turn to the beef of Texas -> KC -> Chicago. The only placed I ever lived outside of New England is Chicago, which outside of the terrible weather I liked very much - so why not a few stockyard beef joints to go with the magnificent neighborhood ethnic restaurants.

I love a good steak-- Charolais, crossed with either Hereford or Angus.

We have a restaurant in Hickory, NC. (Cheap, good furniture outlet stores from major furniture manufacturers-- East Coast peeps, well worth the drive down for big-ticket items like dining room suites, credenzas, etc.)

"The Charolais" bring out the meat to your table and you tell them how thick a piece they can cook for you. GREAT steak restaurant.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #40,177 of 153,391
BBQ, yeah. Been all over the S looking for it. I liked it best in the area from Memphis down to N. Alabama (Decatur - Big Bob Gibson). Even New England is starting to step up their game, but its still not that good - so I cook my own - low and slow baby.

Just made some pulled pork last week. Two pork butts in a big turkey pan (with cover) wrapped in aluminum foil, filled to near top (60% cover) with water - 300F, 8 hours, flip butts half way so it doesn't dry. Bag full of spices. finish, debone, defat; magic dust, coke classic, BBQ sauce, black pepper, bit of salt; pull; reheat for :30 at 300F - covered for :20, then turn and finish open. Let rest for :20 min; serve with deep fried pickles, garlic mashed (Idaho - sorry Maine, 1/2 and 1/2 and high fat cream cheese, real garlic carmalized), acorn squash (par boiled, then baked with butter and maple syrup, snip of hand ground nutmeg, P&S). Yeah, I won't make it to 90.....

This is very cool - thanks for sharing the recipe and process.
The acorn squash sounds particularly good, to me.

My favorite BBQ is brisket - especially the burnt ends. But, I'm originally an Indiana guy.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #40,179 of 153,391
This is very cool - thanks for sharing the recipe and process.
The acorn squash sounds particularly good, to me.

My favorite BBQ is brisket - especially the burnt ends. But, I'm originally an Indiana guy.

Yeah I love brisket but don't have the right conditions to do a good job with it - so whether I order it or snag some from another diner I always manage to get some when I go out! ...snort...

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #40,180 of 153,391
My travels took me to the Netherlands 10 times back in the "oughts", and they have the tallest, per capita, height in the World.

I have never felt as welcome as when a Dutchman said, "so how Tall are you?"

"211cm"

"Oh, that is not tall, you will meet my tall friend, who is 216" (Seven-one)
confirmed by this 6 foot 6 dutchie. I am a giant in Portugal :)

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #40,182 of 153,391
Aye, the noise be thick here mateys.

Sorry mate, it is call rebounding. After a hearty spat, and Moderation, we got sidetracked to Pork& Beef BBQ, Tallness, and let's get back to Head-Fi, business as usual...any cute cats? :)

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #40,183 of 153,391
We seek solace in food after the trauma inflicted by the thread being locked. :slight_frown:

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #40,184 of 153,391
My Thomas is a service dog in training to help me. He is working on social skills right now.

That is a fine looking animal, he does have an intelligent look about him.

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #40,185 of 153,391
Hey guys,

If I get a chance to review and edit, I should have a chapter up on Aegir tomorrow.

Some pre-replies:

1. Yep, I know, this low-power amp ain't for everyone.
2. Yep, I know, not everyone will understand why we're doing it.
3. Yep, I know, this whole Class A thing is confusing.
4. Yep, I know, 10W of Class A bias doesn't sound like much.

But....if that 10W of Class A bias and a Continuity output stage gets you 150-160W into 4 ohms mono with performance very, very similar to Class A, without the several amperes of standing current and massive heat usually necessary for Class A at that level...well, that's when it starts getting a lot more interesting. At least to us. As usual, we may be crazy.

All the best,
Jason
How is this different from high bias class A? Do you have an oscilloscope reading to show the difference that continuity is supposed to give over AB? If continuity is just as good as class A, why do you have 10 watts of class A?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back