Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 9, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #39,752 of 150,029
The same can be said about Apple fanboys, it's hard to understand that level of devotion.
In my case it's because it just works, and it works in a way I understand. Simple, really.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #39,753 of 150,029
In my case it's because it just works, and it works in a way I understand. Simple, really.

I've been using a 2015 MBP for work and it was OK, but new models are abomination. Lack of ports, horrible horrible unreliable keyboards, touchbar (groan), glossy screens.

"It just works" in a way Apple thinks it should work, not how the users think or want it to work.

I'm going back to Carbon X1 this cycle.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #39,754 of 150,029
re: iPhone lacking a headphone jack. When I got my 8 I thought it would really be a pain not having the flexibility of a headphone jack. When I'm using the iPhone as a DAP I use an external DAC/Amp so that didn't change, but for phone calls I sometimes used a hardwired set when the BT headset was charging or not handy, and that does not work through the DAC/Amp. Nor was I fond of the Apple solution of a wireless set of Bluetooth ear buds (indeed, I have thought Apple's earbuds sucked green bananas since day one, and I wasn't about to shell out extra money for something I didn't like.) Surprise, the iPhone came with a little dongle, a 1.5" long device that plugs into the lightning port and offers, wait for it, a headphone jack. I simply keep my Etymotic phone IEMs plugged into that at all times, and if I need them boom there it is. So it does come with a headphone jack after all.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #39,755 of 150,029
"It just works" in a way Apple thinks it should work, not how the users think or want it to work.
That's right, and to each his own. For me the way they think it should work is logical (and I'm an old PC guy.) But it's not what everyone wants. That's why there is plenty of CHOICE to buy something different! :)

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #39,756 of 150,029
Winter is coming:wink:

I have a 5 year warranty on my Schiit, anyone I know whos had an issue has been taken care of.
And I'd bet they'd fix your Schiit outside of warranty reasonably, not make you buy new with their policies.
Exactly. That’s the point. The warranty picks up the pieces. Apple offers an extended warranty if you want you can buy it. If you care less about the warranty you can repair your product as well. It’s entirely your choice. Again, complaining about products you don’t buy makes your argument a little more whiny. And perhaps, a bit more out of place on this thread.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #39,757 of 150,029
you can repair your product as well.

You can not, only they can repair, try to get parts. Try to have a third party repair at a reasonable price.
They have set up roadblocks for right to repair, plain and simple. And use their considerable resources to bully anyone in their way.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #39,758 of 150,029
You can not, only they can repair, try to get parts. Try to have a third party repair at a reasonable price.
They have set up roadblocks for right to repair, plain and simple. And use their considerable resources to bully anyone in their way.
This has been Apple's policy since the Mid 1980s. Personally, I have an aversion to vendor lock in. It has been a shady business practice for decades.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #39,759 of 150,029

I wasn't referring to you, just talking in a general sense.

You're right that there are folks out there that have an irrational hate for Apple, it makes you wonder if some guy from Apple ran over their cats/dogs. But at the same time, Apple has a bunch of rabid fanboys that elevate each of its products to the category of the BEST EVAH!!!, also... for them Apple was the first to implement [insert a certain tech/feature] and no matter how much evidence you show to them, proving another company did it earlier, they just don't listen and insist Apple always innovate with each new product.

So as an owner of an iPad that I use mostly to control a guitar pedalboard via Bluetooth, I agree Apple makes great products, but at the same time it just rubs me in the wrong way how pedantic they are when they present themselves as the company that always innovate and revolutionize everything (which is IMO what most contribute to the behavior of those rabid fanboys).

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #39,760 of 150,029
You’re funny. You don’t own the products but somehow have “tried” to get them repaired by a third party! Amazing. Oh and by the way, I’ve repaired both of my kids iPads twice when the digitizer cracked. YouTube. Try it!

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #39,762 of 150,029
You’re funny. You don’t own the products but somehow have “tried” to get them repaired by a third party! Amazing. Oh and by the way, I’ve repaired both of my kids iPads twice when the digitizer cracked. YouTube. Try it!

Every new generation of hardware is harder to repair, They will sue if someone posts repair manuals on the net.
Google is your friend, search and see for yourself. sarcasm

My issue is with Right to Repair, so I'm done debating Apple with you.

If you like Apple great, but love for a huge corp. is something I can never understand.
And I don't love Google either, or Intel or ...

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #39,763 of 150,029
That's why there is plenty of CHOICE to buy something different! :)

The choice is getting scarce as seemingly every manufacturer is turning into an inferior Apple copycat. That's what market wants I guess. *shrug*

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #39,764 of 150,029
The way he mentioned it, I got the impression he was working on it, but Mike is a tough read, and I was multi-tasking so I may have mis-read it.

The dynamic range expansion sounds like something that could be done technologically to me, but I have a hard time seeing it past Mike's filter of doesn't sound like arse. Mike is a vocal opponent of over-compression, so I could easily see it as in "in-joke" of his to have a pop-music de-crapifier filter.

The beat alignment/mis-alignment sounds a bit more like snake oil to me, despite Mike's anecdote about the Rolling Stones. But I wouldn't have believed pitch shifting either, so I'll be happily proven wrong if it's done with Moffat Magic.
Dynamic Range restoration is already being done by other people. The new Lyngdorf integrated amplifiers use a DSP algorithm to restore up to 10dB of range to peaks clipped by heavy compression. I think approaches like this will evolve with time and lead to totally new ways to re-produce music.

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #39,765 of 150,029
Yes more audio please, did I start this:anguished:

It is an important issue though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back