Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 26, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #38,866 of 150,482
I will call him tomorrow but I think we will never see him here again indeed because of bad health.
Ok thanks for the update Pietro, that is very sad news indeed. :cry:

I hope that even though he can’t participate here, that he is ok. I would like to wish him the best if you are speaking with him (as I’m sure many others on here would as well.)

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #38,867 of 150,482
I have some thoughts related to that but finding the time is another matter. I envision two of them per speaker, stacked like pancakes in a clear plexiglass tube but that still may not be enough to push some of the Klipsch.

Fall is my time to kick back and relax and make up for working seven days a week through much of the year.
Good for you. Enjoy the fall, kick back, and do what you want to do. Life is too short---don't waste it.

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #38,869 of 150,482
I will call him tomorrow but I think we will never see him here again indeed because of bad health.
Yeah all the best to ORT! Sight problems i understood. I hope he is coping and found otherways to ramble...he is sure missed in this space

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #38,870 of 150,482
Your stuff looks lonely---buy more audio gear.

Sorry that is a Klipsch showroom near me, I get sidetracked and may not have made that clear at the time. I believe I said that I wanted to hear several types of their speakers and since the headquarters was close by it was easy for me to do so.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #38,871 of 150,482
Sorry that is a Klipsch showroom near me, I get sidetracked and may not have made that clear at the time. I believe I said that I wanted to hear several types of their speakers and since the headquarters was close by it was easy for me to do so.
Don't be sorry---buy more vintage audio gear. In my region, good, restorable vintage gear is non- existent.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #38,872 of 150,482
Yes, if I remember correctly it was vision related issues plaguing ORT.

Sep 26, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #38,874 of 150,482
Cables can be very interesting indeed and I tend to stay away from pseudo science. My company might build and send out a thousand cables at a time to be used in recording studios and they had better be right so I stick with certain brands. Headphone cables are very tricky and not everyone has an understanding of strand count, twisted pair, high conductivity copper, skin effect, etc. I know of people who cut apart star quad to get the wires to braid headphone cables. In most cases I know full well that what they started with was most likely better than their end product lol. I can talk about personal experience with cables and in 13 years in a specific field I certainly have opinions based on many factors. I help my production people when they fall behind so I have personally built and tested over 20,000 cables of various types and that is a conservative estimate.

It would be educational to pick your brain on this topic a bit someday if you are willing. I'm trying not to buy anything right now, but we know that never really lasts. :p

Sep 26, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #38,875 of 150,482
It would be educational to pick your brain on this topic a bit someday if you are willing. I'm trying not to buy anything right now, but we know that never really lasts. :p

I am always happy to help and you can always PM me if you like so I do not bore folks in here. :)

Sep 26, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #38,876 of 150,482
Don't be sorry---buy more vintage audio gear. In my region, good, restorable vintage gear is non- existent.

The La Scala's I was talking about are current production. There are plenty of old ones out there as well of course. I keep looking for certain pieces of Dynaco gear but it tends to fetch pretty high prices on Ebay. It is like vintage tubes, the price just keeps going up.

Sep 26, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #38,877 of 150,482

What a bummer :frowning2:. He is for sure one of the guys who participate here that I'd love to hang out with. I always enjoy his colorful posts (even when disagreeing with what he says).

If you talk to him again, please let him know another guy here wishes him the best.

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #38,879 of 150,482
One of the reasons I have come to love this thread is because of the random product or brand name drops. I'm one of those people who will stare at a google search box and be unsure of "how to look" for something. It's especially challenging with cables. My personal experience says there absolutely is a difference and it's worth getting good ones, but the snake oil infested waters you have to swim through in order to reach the shores of Avalon are deep sometimes. My best "finds" usually come from randomly seeing a mention from somebody else when I wasn't actively looking.

The variety of discussion is one of the things that makes this thread great on Head-fi. The people would be the other thing. :)

I'm going to compare Anticables 3.1 wires to my BJC Canare 4S11 speaker cables.
I'm was not a cable believer when I bought them. And to a certain extent I am still not. I'd never pay thousands like some.

However I have spent hundreds a pair for some, amounting to quite a bit of money. I favor silver/copper hybrid cables.
I bought, and compared with regular good stuff, and kept the better because of the improvement.
My HP cable is made of OCC copper and silver litz, it sounds wonderful compared to the stock Audeze cable.
I would have, and have returned stuff I don't hear improvement/value in.

Many rave about the Anticables, they don't advertise much, and prices are very low compared to the competition.
Base models compete with BJC, I will report my findings.

And maybe Tom @Paladin79 might have an opinion as well, I'd loan them to him.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #38,880 of 150,482
The La Scala's I was talking about are current production. There are plenty of old ones out there as well of course. I keep looking for certain pieces of Dynaco gear but it tends to fetch pretty high prices on Ebay. It is like vintage tubes, the price just keeps going up.
Bob Latino's ST-70s and ST-120s are a solid but expensive alternative to picking up a classic Dynaco ST-70. With the plus of they are much more likely to work and he has incorporated a number of improvements over the originals.

Edit: My profound appologies to all offended. Auto correct changed Dynaco to Dynamo. I'm duly chastened and will go listen to Boney M for the 1st time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back