Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 26, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #38,881 of 150,787
Bob Latino's ST-70s and ST-120s are a solid but expensive alternative to picking up a classic Dynamo ST-70. With the plus of they are much more likely to work and he has incorporated a number of improvements over the originals.
I am more likely to do my own rebuilding but use a pc board or two others have produced

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #38,882 of 150,787
Bob Latino's ST-70s and ST-120s are a solid but expensive alternative to picking up a classic Dynaco ST-70. With the plus of they are much more likely to work and he has incorporated a number of improvements over the originals.

Edit: My profound appologies to all offended. Auto correct changed Dynaco to Dynamo. I'm duly chastened and will go listen to Boney M for the 1st time.
I've heard the Dynaco st-70 and the BL ST-120. They sound like different amps. To me, the ST-70 has an unnatural treble. The ST-120 has slight treble roll off but overall sounds more neutral than the st-70. To me the ST-120 is clearly better but I wouldn't buy one myself as a keeper amp.

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #38,883 of 150,787
I've heard the Dynaco st-70 and the BL ST-120. They sound like different amps. To me, the ST-70 has an unnatural treble. The ST-120 has slight treble roll off but overall sounds more neutral than the st-70. To me the ST-120 is clearly better but I wouldn't buy one myself as a keeper amp.

Thank you for the insight. I desired to build an ST-120 for a couple of years before I found Schiit, but the price was so much and I had no idea what it would sound like.

Sep 26, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #38,884 of 150,787
On vintage Dynaco:

Coincidentally, a good friend of mine near Portland OR is getting ready to advertise for sale (auction) an *unassembled* original vintage 'Dynakit Stereo-70' in the original *sealed* factory shipping box!

Perhaps the last remaining unassembled ST-70 kit in existence?

Given the nostalgia factor and rarity, it's going to be interesting seeing how high the bidding goes.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #38,885 of 150,787
Do you want me to call them and ask some questions?
Thanks, no need at this point. I've had good email comms with them, it's just that a particular technical question is taking a bit longer to answer because they need to get additional info from another one of their clients who has the same DAC as I do.

Sep 27, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #38,886 of 150,787
On vintage Dynaco:

Coincidentally, a good friend of mine near Portland OR is getting ready to advertise for sale (auction) an *unassembled* original vintage 'Dynakit Stereo-70' in the original *sealed* factory shipping box!

Given the nostalgia factor and rarity, it's going to be interesting seeing how high the bidding goes.

Yes it will. Loved building all the Dynaco stuff back in the 70's. Would be interesting to compare the sound of an original with today's current amps of comparable spec and design just to see if
the sound in my memory is as good as I thought it was. Probably not but...

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #38,887 of 150,787
I had built their solid state devices, Dynaco 416, Pat 5 bi-fet, and FM 5 tuner. Late 70's or early 80's. If that ST-70 ends up on Ebay please post a link if you will @TomSix

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #38,888 of 150,787
On vintage Dynaco:

Is this the same kit?
https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/st-70-kit-120-vac/

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #38,889 of 150,787

I wonder? But if its unopened NOD (New Original Dynakit) it should have a cage. None of the resistors or caps look like I remember they should either. Looks like the stainless steel base and transformers are the same. Those RCA inputs may not accept most of the RCA barrels that come with cables today. This looks as if this is a new reboot of that venerable design with currently mfg. pieces parts.
But it looks very cool.
I could see myself getting one just as an object d'art! LOL!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #38,891 of 150,787
I had built their solid state devices, Dynaco 416, Pat 5 bi-fet, and FM 5 tuner. Late 70's or early 80's. If that ST-70 ends up on Ebay please post a link if you will @TomSix

I built those too. A lot of it for me had to do with the satisfaction of putting them together and having them actually work, especially given my complete lack of even rudimentary knowledge and practices when it came to electricity. The PAT-5 didn't fare well against my PAS-3X but the 416 and FM-5 were pretty good for the time.
I never had any problem selling or trading any of the two dozen or so kits I built over time.

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #38,892 of 150,787
I built those too. A lot of it for me had to do with the satisfaction of putting them together and having them actually work, especially given my complete lack of even rudimentary knowledge and practices when it came to electricity. The PAT-5 didn't fare well against my PAS-3X but the 416 and FM-5 were pretty good for the time.
I never had any problem selling or trading any of the two dozen or so kits I built over time.
You have built more kits than me, I will come to you for advice in the future.:)

@FLTWS I just realized your photo is from Twilight Zone the movie. I kept thinking Nightmare at 20,000 feet but the color threw me off.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #38,893 of 150,787
I'm going to compare Anticables 3.1 wires to my BJC Canare 4S11 speaker cables.
I'm was not a cable believer when I bought them. And to a certain extent I am still not. I'd never pay thousands like some.

However I have spent hundreds a pair for some, amounting to quite a bit of money. I favor silver/copper hybrid cables.
I bought, and compared with regular good stuff, and kept the better because of the improvement.
My HP cable is made of OCC copper and silver litz, it sounds wonderful compared to the stock Audeze cable.
I would have, and have returned stuff I don't hear improvement/value in.

Many rave about the Anticables, they don't advertise much, and prices are very low compared to the competition.
Base models compete with BJC, I will report my findings.

And maybe Tom @Paladin79 might have an opinion as well, I'd loan them to him.

I was looking into getting the pure silver cables from Clear Day Cables, but was saddened to learn while researching them that Paul (owner/operator) is very ill. I hope he recovers.

I've had really mixed results with silver/copper mix cables. My best luck with them has been in interconnects. At one point I was pretty sold on silver, but I recently returned my Audeze LCD-2 back to a pure copper cable (it was previously SPC) and it ended up being a very good change. This was done on recommendation and I'm glad I listened to that advice.

I'm very interested in your experience with Anticables 3.1 as they are one of the cables I've been looking at. The Supra cables from Sweden also seem very interesting. This seems like it would give similar results to the tinned Duelund wire people use for DIY without the need to actually make the cable yourself.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #38,895 of 150,787
You have built more kits than me, I will come to you for advice in the future.:)

@FLTWS I just realized your photo is from Twilight Zone the movie. I kept thinking Nightmare at 20,000 feet but the color threw me off.

Believe me, the instructions that came with those units were perfect and idiot proofed for people like me. Not at all like a lot of the "some assembly required" stuff today that come with pictures only, or line drawings only, or poorly translated into English verbiage sheets, or sometimes nothing at all. The real key is soldiering skill, given what you do for a living that shouldn't be an issue. Crimping leads and dressing wires, mechanical assembly, piece of cake. (My OCD played well to these sorts of projects; measure thrice, cut one and memorize the instructions, LOL)

Patience and focus is all that's needed. A large, well lit surface to work on so you can inventory and organize the various related types of components. With Dynakits the circuit boards were pre- assembled and tested, everything else was just mechanical assembly and point to point wiring. The few Heathkits I remember, (guitar amps I did for friends), were just the opposite, wiring harnesses and you installed the caps, resistors, etc. to the circuit board) and with some mechanical assembly.

Yep, that's the gremlin from the remake with Lithgow in 1983. The original Twilight Zone story was from 1963 with Shatner, that gremlin was laughable, a guy in a really bad looking monkey suit, looked like a left over costume from all the B movies that had gorillas in the story line. As a long time PC flight simmer the idea of the gremlin captured my imagination.

upload_2018-9-27_13-20-4.png
upload_2018-9-27_13-20-23.png

upload_2018-9-27_13-20-38.png
upload_2018-9-27_13-20-56.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back