Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 26, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #38,851 of 149,310
And the $$$$, 8K each is a little steep for my hobby budget...

I would not be paying that. You would be shocked if I told you how little I had invested in a dozen speakers in my house, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. Many of mine are Klipsh and Martin Logan plus some from companies Klipsch bought out including some made in Canada. There is a huge markup on speakers.

I have my eye on an amp that is normally $8k but on any of this stuff, I establish a target price and only go forward when I hit that. The owner of that company is someone I have worked with on a couple projects, each time I talk to him, the price goes down a bit more. I hope to retire in a couple years so I have better uses for my money while the market is still bullish.

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #38,852 of 149,310
For you 2 channel guys; I just saw this and it takes me back to my childhood. I remember hearing the original design a few times. it's a fully sealed horn design so corner placement is no longer required.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn

If I had the room...

They look nice and when I was younger I thought I liked Klipsch until I listened to them for longer than an hour and for me they were way too fatiguing... I'll stick with my Dynaudio's...

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #38,853 of 149,310
They look nice and when I was younger I thought I liked Klipsch until I listened to them for longer than an hour and for me they were way too fatiguing... I'll stick with my Dynaudio's...

I have never been a huge Klipsch fan, but the efficiency is such I bought some sweet '86 KG4s.
They will be updated to better than new. If I don't like them I can sell them for what I have in them.
Right now they are harsh, but that's to be expected with the old poly diaphragms and crossovers. With mods/updates they are supposed to be sweet sounding.
I particularly don't like the Heresys shouty mid-range. KG4s have no such issues from my reading.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #38,854 of 149,310
I have some thoughts related to that but finding the time is another matter. I envision two of them per speaker, stacked like pancakes in a clear plexiglass tube but that still may not be enough to push some of the Klipsch.

Fall is my time to kick back and relax and make up for working seven days a week through much of the year.

Wow! Snowy winters days are good for brainstorming.

Yep, fall is college and pro football and start of the concert season, and hopefully cooler temps and an end to this dam humidity for me, I've got moss growing on my north side. As of 2 days ago we've gotten our average rainfall for the full calendar year.,and we got 1 to 3 inches in our region over the past 2 days. From now till year end its all about record breaking.

Still no comparison to the Carolina's.

Sep 26, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #38,855 of 149,310
No, @Pietro Cozzi Tinin 's neighbors (Metrum Acoustics). I'm trying to connect a Metrum Ambre streamer's RJ-45 I2S output to my Holo Spring HDMI I2S input, no luck with the wiring info I got from Metrum, and it's been a pain to try to make that cable with my limited practice and tools. Several decades years since I did serious DYI really took their toll. Metrum are rechecking their info, one of their clients has made it work, when I get the correct info, I'd rather have a professionally-made cable that will last. In the meanwhile, I'll be demoing a Metrum Onyx DAC as recompense for my struggles. The danger is that I'll prefer it to the Holo Spring (I think those Dutchmen have a long tradition of crafty salesmanship...).
Do you want me to call them and ask some questions?

Sep 26, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #38,856 of 149,310
One of the reasons I have come to love this thread is because of the random product or brand name drops. I'm one of those people who will stare at a google search box and be unsure of "how to look" for something. It's especially challenging with cables. My personal experience says there absolutely is a difference and it's worth getting good ones, but the snake oil infested waters you have to swim through in order to reach the shores of Avalon are deep sometimes. My best "finds" usually come from randomly seeing a mention from somebody else when I wasn't actively looking.

The variety of discussion is one of the things that makes this thread great on Head-fi. The people would be the other thing. :)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #38,857 of 149,310
One of the reasons I have come to love this thread is because of the random product or brand name drops. I'm one of those people who will stare at a google search box and be unsure of "how to look" for something. It's especially challenging with cables. My personal experience says there absolutely is a difference and it's worth getting good ones, but the snake oil infested waters you have to swim through in order to reach the shores of Avalon are deep sometimes. My best "finds" usually come from randomly seeing a mention from somebody else when I wasn't actively looking.

The variety of discussion is one of the things that makes this thread great on Head-fi. The people would be the other thing. :)
Just listen and buy what YOU like.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #38,858 of 149,310
I would not be paying that. You would be shocked if I told you how little I had invested in a dozen speakers in my house, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. Many of mine are Klipsh and Martin Logan plus some from companies Klipsch bought out including some made in Canada. There is a huge markup on speakers.

I have my eye on an amp that is normally $8k but on any of this stuff, I establish a target price and only go forward when I hit that. The owner of that company is someone I have worked with on a couple projects, each time I talk to him, the price goes down a bit more. I hope to retire in a couple years so I have better uses for my money while the market is still bullish.

I'm mostly a DIY guy, pre/amp/phono/turntable so now I'm venturing out into speakers and except for the Fostex drivers, everything else has been budget or "common sense to me" prices. But I do have dreams...

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #38,859 of 149,310
Sep 26, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #38,860 of 149,310
Xcalibur255:
It's especially challenging with cables. My personal experience says there absolutely is a difference and it's worth getting good ones, but the snake oil infested waters you have to swim through in order to reach the shores of Avalon are deep sometimes. My best "finds" usually come from randomly seeing a mention from somebody else when I wasn't actively looking.

Cables can be very interesting indeed and I tend to stay away from pseudo science. My company might build and send out a thousand cables at a time to be used in recording studios and they had better be right so I stick with certain brands. Headphone cables are very tricky and not everyone has an understanding of strand count, twisted pair, high conductivity copper, skin effect, etc. I know of people who cut apart star quad to get the wires to braid headphone cables. In most cases I know full well that what they started with was most likely better than their end product lol. I can talk about personal experience with cables and in 13 years in a specific field I certainly have opinions based on many factors. I help my production people when they fall behind so I have personally built and tested over 20,000 cables of various types and that is a conservative estimate.

Klipsch speakers,
Some of those Klipsch speakers are huge and I doubt i would have them very long. I have already had a few offers and most likely I will make a few bucks when I sell them and not receive dirty looks from my wife because my downstairs suddenly looks like a speaker show room. It has been ages since I heard them with class A monoblocks so I just want to duplicate that experience and move on. Speakers are like headphones, you like what you like. Klipsch must be doing something right, they are still around and people still pay a high price for new or used. :)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #38,861 of 149,310
I'm mostly a DIY guy, pre/amp/phono/turntable so now I'm venturing out into speakers and except for the Fostex drivers, everything else has been budget or "common sense to me" prices. But I do have dreams...

I also watch this Youtube channel. Very big setup and some are vintage. The youtube owner/moderator responds quickly if you have any questions.

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #38,862 of 149,310
Wow! Snowy winters days are good for brainstorming.

Yep, fall is college and pro football and start of the concert season, and hopefully cooler temps and an end to this dam humidity for me, I've got moss growing on my north side. As of 2 days ago we've gotten our average rainfall for the full calendar year.,and we got 1 to 3 inches in our region over the past 2 days. From now till year end its all about record breaking.

Still no comparison to the Carolina's.

I am a pretty big sports fan and my local university does well in basketball but football is another matter. It has not helped that the big ten now has 14 teams lol.

I will be doing a Coaster amp flying saucer before Xmas and I hope to paint characters faces on the two tubes and have them standing up. I am not sure how well this will work out but that is the only part I have doubts about, everything else I can envision pretty easily.

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #38,863 of 149,310
Hey there, I only check in on this thread on occasion, but has anyone heard from @OldRoadToad (aka ORT) recently?

I know he was having some health issues, hope he’s alright.

I miss his poetic musings, ramblings and take-downs (mainly of Winders :wink:)

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #38,864 of 149,310
Hey there, I only check in on this thread on occasion, but has anyone heard from @OldRoadToad (aka ORT) recently?

I know he was having some health issues, hope he’s alright.

I miss his poetic musings, ramblings and take-downs (mainly of Winders :wink:)
I will call him tomorrow but I think we will never see him here again indeed because of bad health.

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #38,865 of 149,310
I do have an abiding fondness for classic audio equipment, including some of the larger horn-loaded loudspeakers etc.

I must say, however, when I contemplate the bulk and/or expense of much high-end gear, the compactness, convenience/simplicity and sheer value-for-performance of Schiit gear appears all the more appealing --like a refreshing oasis.

The older I get, it seems the more I'm liking to keep things simple

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back