Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 16, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #36,661 of 155,168
Still on the guitar track: Miles Okazaki just released on Bandamp his solo complete Monk (70 tunes). 4h44m! Four tunes in, wow! "Brilliant Corners" was sooo edgy! Warning: don't start listening if you don't want to get stuck for the duration. You have been warned!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #36,662 of 155,168
My favorite bassist is Tony Levin. This video has both him and my favorite guitarist, Robert Fripp. Drum solo warning!

XQoTqFHJA-Y

Yep...outstanding.
It took a few years until Youtube vids started coming out that I found out what he was doing on 'Discipline'. Couldn't work it out but knew I liked it. I now know it was the 'Chapman Stick' which combines bass and electric guitar and more...

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #36,663 of 155,168
Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten have been mentioned already. They have collaborated as SMV on an album named Thunder. I take it along when I audition gear.

Thanks for the rec! I was aware of Wooten's work with Bela Fleck, but was unaware of this project. I just ran off to find a copy to buy :)

EDIT:
My favorite bassist is Tony Levin. This video has both him and my favorite guitarist, Robert Fripp. Drum solo warning!

I am aware of KC, I think I even have a box set somewhere, but I'm such a philistine that I was unaware of the line-up. Holy Schiit! 3 drummers, with the rest of the behind on a riser behind the wall of drum kits. Now wonder they have such a thick sound!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #36,664 of 155,168
One of the best technical guitarists of all time. The C2B3 "Big Eyeball" album is one of my faves..
Talking technical guitarists: Jan Akkerman (Tabernakel seems to be a favorite of many) Myself, I get itchy from guitar solos style joe satriani ...brrrrrrrrrr

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #36,666 of 155,168
We all have our own taste, But that type of music is all about technique and showing off. Where is the song? Where is the melody, the hook that captures you? He needs some lessons from Jeff Beck.
maybe this has a hook you're looking for:

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #36,667 of 155,168
Yep...outstanding.
It took a few years until Youtube vids started coming out that I found out what he was doing on 'Discipline'. Couldn't work it out but knew I liked it. I now know it was the 'Chapman Stick' which combines bass and electric guitar and more...

I saw "the stick" in that LMR video and wondered what the heck it was. This explains it very nicely. Thank you!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #36,668 of 155,168
So I have a question for the more knowledgeable folks here. I have been reading A LOT of 2 channel amp reviews and descriptions the last little while. I keep seeing companies talk about class A/B output stages that are coupled with class D, T, H power stages or gain stages. I have been trying to read up on how this works, and so far I haven't seen anything other then the marketing info given on describing each amp.

Sounds like people are trying to marry the Sound of A/B with the higher efficiency power classes. Wondering who can speak to how this works?

Just the basics, Generally the most expensive part of a power amp is the power supply, the large transformers and filter capacitors are the most expensive parts of the amp. The trend has been to use switching power supplies to power the amplifier. Saves money and removes most of the weight. No heavy transformers.

The switching supplies can be much smaller and lighter because they operate at frequencies well above the audible range of hearing and can use much smaller transformers and filter capacitors, therefore costing and weighting less. They are also much less expensive to build.

Class D amplifiers are basically a switching power supply that is modulated or controlled by the audio signal which controls the voltage output of the power supply. Thus the power supply and amp are mostly one and the same device.

This is about as short an explanation as I can give and try to make any sense of it.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more in depth info or chat on the phone.

Stled

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #36,669 of 155,168
Just the basics, Generally the most expensive part of a power amp is the power supply, the large transformers and filter capacitors are the most expensive parts of the amp. The trend has been to use switching power supplies to power the amplifier. Saves money and removes most of the weight. No heavy transformers.

The switching supplies can be much smaller and lighter because they operate at frequencies well above the audible range of hearing and can use much smaller transformers and filter capacitors, therefore costing and weighting less. They are also much less expensive to build.

Class D amplifiers are basically a switching power supply that is modulated or controlled by the audio signal which controls the voltage output of the power supply. Thus the power supply and amp are mostly one and the same device.

This is about as short an explanation as I can give and try to make any sense of it.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more in depth info or chat on the phone.

Stled
I am not an engineer (cry baby cry I should have been) but I always thought that they were all amplifiers and that the class is just the way the signal is amplified (with pro and cons plus trade-offs within the design of the different classes but all with a power supply, input and output and so on). To put it in other words: all are soup that fill the stomach but a lovely Portuguese fish soup is not the same as a Dutch veggie soup :wink:

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #36,670 of 155,168
I am not an engineer (cry baby cry I should have been) but I always thought that they were all amplifiers and that the class is just the way the signal is amplified (with pro and cons plus trade-offs within the design of the different classes but all with a power supply, input and output and so on). To put it in other words: all are soup that fill the stomach but a lovely Portuguese fish soup is not the same as a Dutch veggie soup :wink:
I class D amp works on a very different principle from class A or B. In class D, a stream of well-above-audible-frequency pulses of constant amplitude is modulated by the incoming analog waveform (there are various ways of modulating the pulse stream) and the resulting variable pulse stream then goes through some kind of low-pass filter that averages the modulated stream into an analog waveform with the same frequencies as the original waveform but much higher amplitude (thus amplification). In class A or B, the original waveform is directly amplified by active elements (transistors or tubes), although there are details I'm skipping (eg. that in class B, the positive and the negative sides of the waveform are amplified by different active elements -- and I'm simplifying a lot here too).

Portuguese caldeirada (fish soup) is of course the bestest :wink:

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #36,671 of 155,168
So I have a question for the more knowledgeable folks here. I have been reading A LOT of 2 channel amp reviews and descriptions the last little while. I keep seeing companies talk about class A/B output stages that are coupled with class D, T, H power stages or gain stages. I have been trying to read up on how this works, and so far I haven't seen anything other then the marketing info given on describing each amp.

Sounds like people are trying to marry the Sound of A/B with the higher efficiency power classes. Wondering who can speak to how this works?
You could have a look at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_amplifier_classes
and the link there to
Main article: Class-D amplifier
these articles don't require any significant electronics knowledge to follow.
There is often a class A A/B analog preamp prior to the class D amp though some are direct digital.

Probably some of the "advances" to make it more like A/B (or A) hybrid would be hype others might be real but will be proprietary.
For example It might happen that a retail (up)market amplifier manufacturer that uses Hypex modules feels the need to add "something special" so they don't look like kit amp makers.

my opinion only, of course

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #36,673 of 155,168
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #36,674 of 155,168
Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #36,675 of 155,168

In memoriam, Aretha Franklin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back