Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 14, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #36,617 of 155,088
Ditto, I was sure this would devolve but didn’t. Something in there to keep everyone a little busy discovering. Yay.
It stayed pretty positive and most of us like certain performers and styles and respect others who like other artists or music, I really did not think it would be a bad thing. A lot of young guitarists learned from the older ones and many of the older ones learned from people like Les Paul and Chet Adkins and B.B King and Chuck Berry. Listen to Clapton sometime and he talks about the early days of blues. Music evolves and now some of the young artists have so many more roll models to emulate. There is nothing wrong with that.

This is also a topic that allows anyone to participate.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #36,619 of 155,088
I need albums. FLAC files. :)

I own a lot of music but it is always nice when someone has a love for a certain piece or performance or performer that causes me to go in and explore things I might not have found on my own.

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #36,620 of 155,088
My guitar faves (all jazz or at least jazzy):

Older guard:

John Abercrombie (sadly departed)
Bill Frisell
John Scofield
Marc Ribot
Wolfgang Muthspiel
Nels Cline

Newer wave:

Mary Halvorson
Julian Lage
Jeff Parker

I've heard all of the above live except for Muthspiel. Frisell many times; Abercrombie, Scofield and Lage a few; Ribot, Cline, Halvorson, and Parker just once (not enough).

Listening to Parker's most mellow album I own, "Bright Light in Winter." Lovely relaxing evening music.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #36,621 of 155,088
That Lang Lang guy plays a very weird guitar, but I like the sound of it!!!

@FrivolsListener

Not Tina S, but I just remembered Jess Lewis. Look at those tiny hands playing Sisters (Steve Vai):

Another "new" exceptional player, Alex Hutchings...

Both Jess & Alex playing Larry Carlton's Room 335

I'd be interested in sources for their music, too.

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #36,622 of 155,088
Great couple of days on the thread. Thanks everyone for the contributions, I have discovered new music to listen to and variety is the spice of life :)

Let me add one more.... very hard to find this though, not on Spottily and I don't have Tidal so don't know if it's there. https://www.discogs.com/Loose-Change-Live-At-The-Grainstore/release/5237997
If you can find it anywhere, it's well worth a listen

Drummer is Virgil Donati, with some other great players. Was recorded live to 2 track at a nightclub in Melbourne. I was there, and it was a great night. Scary that it was 30 years ago...

@Oveja Negra ... the guitarist on this (Mark Domoney) is great :)

Edit: Looks like it might be on iTunes Store, at least it is for me in Australia

Mark Domoney is a new name for me, I'll check him out. Thanks for the suggestion, mate.

Annnd yeah!!!! Virgil Donati is outstanding, totally incredible. Steve Vai is by far my favorite guitar player since I discovered him more than 20 years ago, so when he had Donati (Mangini too) in his band I was exposed to all his greatness. His solo records plus his contributions with Allan Holdsworth and Planet X is beyond impressive. In fact, I re-watch this video from time to time just to not forget he is an alien :D

By the way and since you're from Australia. Are you familiar with Plini? It's a pretty young australian player, this guy...

AeuOM3S.jpg

who has impressed me a lot with an explosive and beautiful mix of progressive & fusion music. Last year I bought everything he had released on Bandcamp.

Not entirely music related, but am I the only one who look at those gorgeous cover arts and think it's done as some kind of tribute to the ones made by Roger Dean for bands like Yes? :)

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #36,623 of 155,088
I'd be interested in sources for their music, too.

I'm afraid none of them have released a "proper" album yet. Jess has some tunes on Bandcamp.com. Alex in the other hand has a good amount of tracks on YouTube, besides that, he is a session player. He is currently (AFAIK) touring with Steven Wilson, as a replacement of Guthrie Govan. I really hope he releases something soon, well... a lot of people are expecting that since he has an immense amount of talent. It's not only his chops but his perfect choice of notes, the beautiful bends with perfect intonation, etc.

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #36,625 of 155,088
Jeff Beck with Tal Wilkenfeld and Beth Hart en Lizzie Ball live
Rock and Roll!

there's also Jeff, Tal and Imogen heap around the same area of the Tube for a different taste

How's about St. Vincent, she mesmerises me.

Edit:
I remember reading a music magazine long ago where readers could write in questions, like what equipment, guitars, amps, strings, tuning and effects etc.one of the stars used on a particular track to get the SOUND, one time they asked about a Jeff Beck track and when the magazine asked him he shrugged, picked up the closest guitar, plugged into whatever amp, no effects, and reproduced the exact sound.
Wasn't the gear, was just him.

P.S. I remember Michael Hedges from Windham Hill compilations way back but never followed him up, more of a Shadowfax person at the time.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #36,626 of 155,088
By the way and since you're from Australia. Are you familiar with Plini? It's a pretty young australian player, this guy...

Oh yeah. Plini is great. He's on rotation for me. :)

Let's bang a couple more out there for everyone :
Nick Johnston
David Maxim Micic
Owane
Angel Vivaldi
Claudio Pietronik

Have fun with these ...

Hope we are not devolving into a music recommendation thread... not that it's a bad thing, but maybe we should ease up :L3000:
Unless of course everyone's happy!!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #36,627 of 155,088
... Hope we are not devolving into a music recommendation thread... not that it's a bad thing, but maybe we should ease up :L3000:
Unless of course everyone's happy!!
It's what happens, along with Scotches, reds, barbeques, coffee etc. between Jason's posts, unless someone raises a more relevant topic (and it's all better than cat pictures).
The advantage over a general recommended music thread is that the people here tend to be more on the same wavelength and open to others choices, hardly any taste shaming here (except for jest)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #36,628 of 155,088
I have a Prince show from 1988 where he performed in a small club in Holland after a concert performance. Back then he would unwind from Arena shows by playing for a few hours at a nightclub. I can dropbox the show if there is any interest

Prince - Small Club - 2nd Show That Night

Location: Paard Van Troje (The Trojan Horse), The Hague, Holland
Date: August 18, 1988
Sound Quality: Soundboard

Disc 1:
1. Instrumental Jam 12:54
2. DMSR 8:46
3. Just My Imagination 7:44
4. People Without 10:28
5. Housequake 4:31
6. Down Home Blues 8:46

Total running time: 53:12

Disc 2:
1. Cold Sweat 9:34
2. Forever In My Life 11:28
3. Still Would Stand All Time 10:47
4. I'll Take You There 15:57
5. It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night 2:40
6. Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic 2:11

Total running time: 52:39

The Lovesexy band:

Sheila E: drums, percussion & vocals
Matt Fink: computer keyboards
Cat: vocals
Eric Leeds & Atlanta Bliss: brass & vocal
Miko Weaver: guitar & vocal
Boni Boyer: vocal & Hammond organ
Levi Seacer Jr.: bass & vocal
Prince: whatever

Note:
I've heard hundreds of bootlegs. This one is, by far, the best sound quality (check the stereo separation on "People Without"). Prince used to unwind from arena shows by playing for a couple of hours at a nightclub (today he only does about half an hour). This is the second show that night after playing "De Kuip" earlier that evening in Rotterdam.

If you aren't a Prince fan, this may convert you.

I assume you've heard the one from Paris in 86? I think it's soundboard and is the show as opposed to the afterparty. It doesn't sound as good as the one you mention, but is really good. Missing some bottom end, so I think this might be one to bump up the sub, or maybe the EQ in foobar...

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #36,629 of 155,088
Aug 15, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #36,630 of 155,088
Seeing Plini and Between the Buried and Me as support for Tesseract in December. Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back