Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 6, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #36,226 of 155,168
Whatever happens, if he does I know you make'm shine.
As long as whatever commercial activities are generated based on Jason's designs, the designer is properly compensated.

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #36,228 of 155,168
Oh yea. My first computer job was working for a bank with a Burroughs main frame, 80-column cards and large mag tape drives. We had a Singer mechanical modem at 30 Baud to send updates back and forth to the mother bank in St. Louis. In 1973 they installed a hard disk system. 12" platters, 10Mb storage, requied it's own A/C system, and the drive was about the size of a small freezer. We've come a long way, baby.
The first disk-based computer I used with an earlier (smaller) version of these drives. I had used tape-based computers before that :/

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #36,229 of 155,168
The first disk-based computer I used with an earlier (smaller) version of these drives. I had used tape-based computers before that :/

The PDP-11 had RPR-02s. They hadn't even figured out their nomenclature yet.

The VAX with 67 Mighty Megs! had RM03s. So fast, they made a version with a slower spindle for computers that couldn't keep up.

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #36,230 of 155,168
Tom,
Don't be shy about it.
I wish I had the technical savvy to make something like that.
I can only repair humans up to a point.
I'm quiet good at taking apart a dead human too but that's where it ends.
Since you are retired, practice pathology part time as a volunteer. You do not get many patient complaints in that field.

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #36,232 of 155,168
Tom,
Don't be shy about it.
I wish I had the technical savvy to make something like that.
I can only repair humans up to a point.
I'm quiet good at taking apart a dead human too but that's where it ends.

I am not shy, just realistic. A few of us built a Whammy DIY amp and mine is the ugly duckling of that group. I am proud of the work I did on a couple amps but I have been working with electronics since the seventies and I should have a decent knowledge so my interest lies in the aesthetics. The Coaster amp was a challenge because it is round. Soon others will have them working and my designs may not be so special.

Everything is relative. I have also competed in several things where it is easy to learn humility. Play tournament chess sometime and you might think you are pretty good, maybe even beat some of the better players in your state, go to Chicago and find better players, then go to New York and you find out what good players look like. Pit many of them against the Russians and you find a whole new level. In one club I was a top player, then the Swedish national team visited and thrashed us pretty well. Suddenly you learn to play for the love of the game.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #36,234 of 155,168
...In my world simulations provide at best a good starting point, but no human with a sub-Cray-level computer can include every variable in the physical world...
But can someone with a computer more powerful than a Cray include every variable in the physical world?
The cell phone I carry has more computational power than the first Cray supercomputer...

:)

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #36,235 of 155,168
Even Energizers?

Oh, yes. Combine a 1960 oscillator with small batteries.

Yet it looks so good chomping up those batteries
bulovaaccutron.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back