Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 21, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #33,871 of 150,788
My understanding is FLAC, ALAC, AIF, AIFF, etc (all lossless files) use WAV files for the actual music, and the different formats are different compression schemes and 'wrappers' (the actual format of the wav file and associated additional data).

JJ

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #33,872 of 150,788
At $99 USD, they were a STEAL!!!! Frankly, I'm surprised there are still EITR's in B-Stock. :)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #33,873 of 150,788
Was there any information released on Loki Maxi? Loki seems to be named “Loki Mini” at schiit.coms “B-stock & closeout” section.
If not, why not call the new version “Loki Midi”? :smiling_imp:

LOL! No Loki Maxi imminent.

I'm sure Jason has all sorts of ideas in his head, scratched out on paper, or kluged on a board in his shop, but until he announces something going into production its all blue-skying on our part. But I believe it is important for Jason (and Mike) know what we (Schiit - Heads) are interested in and thinking about, so we we continue to have fun of the speculation type from time to time until a new product release is announced. Then we (Schiit-Heads) change gears into Question Mode for pages and pages, most of which were already answered 10 squared times over. Then the product gets released and into our hands to listen to; the fun part is over, now it's time to get into Listening Mode followed by Impressions Mode.

Makes for a vibrant community thread(s).

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #33,875 of 150,788
As for music? I just finished listening to ELP's Brain Salad Surgery. I like it. I have no idea why, I just do.

If you want to say, "Toad...Go intercourse yer grumpy ol' self!", well...Please chime in.

Welcome back, my friend(s) to the show that never ends...

As for Journey... The music is not exactly my thing, some of the synth-pop sections grate on me. However, as for people that think Morgan Freeman should narrate life, I'd go with David Hemmings by a nose.

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #33,876 of 150,788
LOL! No Loki Maxi imminent.

I'm sure Jason has all sorts of ideas in his head, scratched out on paper, or kluged on a board in his shop, but until he announces something going into production its all blue-skying on our part. But I believe it is important for Jason (and Mike) know what we (Schiit - Heads) are interested in and thinking about, so we we continue to have fun of the speculation type from time to time until a new product release is announced. Then we (Schiit-Heads) change gears into Question Mode for pages and pages, most of which were already answered 10 squared times over. Then the product gets released and into our hands to listen to; the fun part is over, now it's time to get into Listening Mode followed by Impressions Mode.

Makes for a vibrant community thread(s).

In Jason's last big info download, in which he spoke of amplifier designs and the like (3 attempts at a Rag replacement), he did not mention the Loki Maxi so I asked a follow-up question. He responded by asking that we leave it aside for a bit, but did drop this tidbit: the design accomplishment of the amp section of the Magni 3 may, MAY, be a needed solution for making the Loki Maxi work.

Jason had previously indicated Loki Maxi would have XLR inputs and outputs, but would not be a fully balanced circuit due to cost. The Magni 3 amplification circuit is single ended, and that topology may find it's way into Loki Maxi. Or not. If it ever gets built. Or not.

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #33,877 of 150,788
A bit off-topic, but I wanted to share ...

If you are into acoustic Jazz trios, you must check out the Brad Mehldau Trio (LIVE) recording. A fabulous recording of an outstanding trio in a small venue with wonderful atmosphere. The piano work, stand-up bass, and drums are exemplary. Available for lossless streaming via Tidal, if one has a subscription. :thumbsup:

(Their 'Black Hole Sun' rendition is fantastic)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #33,878 of 150,788

If you are into acoustic Jazz trios, you must check out the Brad Mehldau Trio (LIVE) recording. A fabulous recording of an outstanding trio in a small venue with wonderful atmosphere. The piano work, stand-up bass, and drums are exemplary. Available for lossless streaming via Tidal, if one has a subscription. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered it through Amazon.

JC

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #33,879 of 150,788
Meddle for sure. And live shows from 1970 & 1971. Once Dark Side came along their shows became live versions of the albums, and while fun in some ways, they lost/gave away the freedom to change things up. People wanted the hits and so that's what they performed, leaving behind songs like "Set the Controls For The Heart Of The Sun."
Saucer Full Of Secrets, eh. Syd Barrett's Bike is another one of THOSE songs that... well... I was kind of wondering what was going on in his head (nothing sane, apparently). Sigh, dammit. Gotta go re-rip and re-listen to Shine On You Crazy Diamond (from Wish You Were Here).

I never could get back into Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Loved it in my 20s... then I went 'off'.

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #33,880 of 150,788

Black Hole Sun, as in Soundgarden? Oh, I have to look that up! :ksc75smile:

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #33,882 of 150,788
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered it through Amazon.

I think you'll be quite happy with your purchase. :wink:

Black Hole Sun, as in Soundgarden? Oh, I have to look that up!

Yes. It's a rather laid-back interpretation, but oh so full of layers, ambiance, and so engaging. I can't keep my foot from tapping and my head from nodding! It's a slow burn, but definitely rewarding!! :beyersmile:

(I don't want to diminish the rest of the album -- It's all very good. This cut just happens to be one of my favorites.)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #33,883 of 150,788

Listening to the first track 'Wonderwall' right now. Sounds great!!

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #33,884 of 150,788
It was a toss-up for me -- 'Wonderwall' or 'Black Hole Sun'. Heck, it's all good!!! :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back