Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 9, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #33,512 of 150,715
I'm glad I started at the beginning and worked my here.

Yeast question for @Pietro Cozzi Tinin
Do you have any preference or recommendation for the brewers/beer yeast from your dough recipe. I live out in the boonies and my small town grocery store only has instant and active dry, so I'm going to order off Amazon. I see some brewers yeast from Italy by a brand called "Molino Rossetto". Wondering if you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
I always use plain bread yeast.
You can use 1/2 - 1/2 bread-beer yeast but because of the beer yeast you have to let it rise much longer.
Using only beer yeast (which I don't like) doubles your rising time.
Ask @Ableza

Jun 10, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #33,513 of 150,715
So this thread being my main hangout, I wanted to repost my comment from Mike's thread. Sorry if it's off topic, and for those who read it twice.

Disclaimer** drinking and rambling again.

Interesting read on the yggy thread, before I lost interest and gave up. That kind of thing is why I avoid Facebook other then to post the occasional photo of an outing with my wife to say I love her and all that. Coincidentally (or not) that need for public recognition is probably what drove said person to post said hack job in the yggy thread. I had never heard of that company or both websites until today. And yes I briefly perused them. Now they have my info, a probable goal in the world of data mining - they can pair it with my router data they bought from the Russians. I'm sure their web traffic went up considerably today. It's the culture we live in, it's sad really, but the anthem debate was almost non existent before you know who brought it up at a rally in Alabama last year, so you know this kind of thing works. I'm still not sure what those companies do to make money, as I couldn't tell if they sold anything, but I'm sure this manufactured controversy will pay off for them (and Schiit too probably).

I thought it was a nice touch for their accolytes to accuse Jason and Jude of collusion, (people thought Jason wrote Jude's post).

Smart and/or determined people can make any argument or discussion sound like their viewpoint is the holy grail by how they present themselves. Very few people want to admit or entertain the idea that their viewpoint/idea/thoughts/beliefs are incorrect or off base. I'm thankful that I'm smart enough to know I'm often wrong, and that other ideas/thoughts/methods/beliefs could be better.

For what it's worth, I've seen Jason admit he's an idiot many times on his thread, I haven't finished this thread in it's entirety but I would imagine Mike is similar if Jason has been friends and done business with him for years. I've also never read them calling out competition, for any reason. Sounds like people I'd like to do business with and buy from. (I have a magni/mimby to prove it).

I might post this last question on the yggy thread, or even make an acct on audio review.

Who cares if something measures better or worse if it sounds good? Does it make it less real/enjoyable if it sounds good but measures differently then something else? When you go to a movie and see a huge action scene play out, or breathtaking views of space or what have you - do you come away enjoying it less because it had cgi or old fashioned special effects, and isn't real?

Anyway, made for an interesting read while I had my morning coffee, and again tonight sitting outside after the family went to bed.

Hope more folks realize this a hobby and supposed to be fun... None of it really matters (except the mudslinging, thats never cool, #highschoolneverends)

Night all.

Mike I'll probably never hear a yggy, but I love my mimby. Keep on being you.

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #33,514 of 150,715
That was an interesting read but I am glad I stayed out of the conversation. I especially enjoyed Ripper's comments.

I would be interested in hearing how the owners of the Freya like the preamp.I am building class A monoblocks for some efficient speakers and hope to use XLR inputs and run a balanced system straight to said speakers.

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #33,515 of 150,715
Jun 10, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #33,516 of 150,715
That was an interesting read but I am glad I stayed out of the conversation. I especially enjoyed Ripper's comments.

I would be interested in hearing how the owners of the Freya like the preamp.I am building class A monoblocks for some efficient speakers and hope to use XLR inputs and run a balanced system straight to said speakers.

I tried to stay out of it. But I could not help myself...

rozmowa-4.jpg

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #33,517 of 150,715
I always use plain bread yeast.
You can use 1/2 - 1/2 bread-beer yeast but because of the beer yeast you have to let it rise much longer.
Using only beer yeast (which I don't like) doubles your rising time.
Ask @Ableza
Yes, if you like that sourdough taste, use brewer's yeast and let the dough rise at least 12 hours. If you want a sweeter crust use bread yeast. I got really nice results using half and half and letting the second rise that Pietro describes occur in a refrigerator for 24 hours. Also if you use fresh mozzarella, be sure to let it sit on a rack and dry a little before you put it on the pie.

By the way don't make the mistake I made and try to remove a ceramic pizza stone from the oven while it is still hot. I broke mine. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #33,518 of 150,715
I tried to stay out of it. But I could not help myself...

There are some arguments you cannot win and luckily I was involved with other things over the last few days or I may well have joined in.

I am not sure I have ever seen a used Freya come up for sale but the 15 day return policy allows a person to be sure they like an item so I may go that route. The flexibility of the Freya certainly interests me. I like the tube sound and constantly switch back and forth so the Freya lends itself well to that. I do not see a phono input so someone might be able to address that and get a Mani as well.

Jun 10, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #33,519 of 150,715

I like my Freya very much. It is so perfect that I have very little else to say about it.

Jun 10, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #33,520 of 150,715
I did come across a couple people selling them and one person owned two so he had an extra. Have you done any tube rolling? I am more apt to get one with Tung Sols.

Jun 10, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #33,522 of 150,715
I did come across a couple people selling them and one person owned two so he had an extra. Have you done any tube rolling? I am more apt to get one with Tung Sols.
The Tung-Sol tubes sound better when using my Squeezebox Transporter as source through Yggy. The Novosibirsk tubes sound less brittle when using a Hifiberry as source.

The Hifiberry images better than the Transporter, so I like to use it as my source.

I tried a set of FAA(GE) tubes that have a manufacture date of 1978. These would be my second choice tubes after the 1950 vintage RCA tubes that I trash picked out of the basement of a friend of my father's.

Jun 10, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #33,523 of 150,715
Thanks for the info, I have four different dacs to use and two have balanced outputs so I like the idea of switching between those. Luckily I have a bit of time, I need to construct some cabinets with large heat sinks and I may build my own power supplies as well. I need to start doing more audio as a business so I can write some of the equipment off. My wife gives me a lot of leeway but nothing lasts forever.:smile_phones:

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #33,524 of 150,715
I like my Freya very much. It is so perfect that I have very little else to say about it.

The Tung-Sol tubes sound better when using my Squeezebox Transporter as source through Yggy. The Novosibirsk tubes sound less brittle when using a Hifiberry as source.

The Hifiberry images better than the Transporter, so I like to use it as my source.

I tried a set of FAA(GE) tubes that have a manufacture date of 1978. These would be my second choice tubes after the 1950 vintage RCA tubes that I trash picked out of the basement of a friend of my father's.

My GungnirMB1 MB sits on top of my Freya, so no tubes obviously. I use it as a Preamp and attenuator into a fine tube hybrid amp. It works perfectly for the purpose, though it is pretty much overkill. Let’s say I got a decent deal on it used, and it stacks perfectly with the Gumby......

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #33,525 of 150,715
I may grab one used if the price is right, I am more apt to use tube roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back