Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 29, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #33,332 of 150,427
U1 is a TI Low Noise regulated swithced capacitor invertor. Its 2mm x 2mm and has 8 pads to solder.
Its only .8mm high and has a thermal pad that needs to be soldered as well as the 8 pads....its really
a difficult hand procdess....and amazing to watch the solder paste melt and this little chip wiggle into place.
Then hope you have no shorts from the thermal pad to the pins!

I have never taken a Schitt product apart, just never wanted to void the warrenty etc....

Now I definitely know that I'm too old for this Schiit

JC

May 29, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #33,334 of 150,427
Jason,

Thanks, as always, for taking the time to share some technology, life experience, and suggestions. Your latest write up is a fascinating look at how progress and technology provide new, efficient, ways to produce product BUT can have unintentional negatives that should be balanced in the end. Fascinating.

And...as timing would have it....i recently posted a poem at work (and just noticed that it is posted JUST above my Lyr/LISST rig..woah!) to help remind me of a key point in your article - step away and think.
At least thats what the poem does for me. TV fans will pick up on this poem from the place i discovered it..Breaking Bad (Best show ever? well maybe 2nd to The Prisoner).
Its called "When I Heard The Learn'd Astronomer" and is by Walt Whitman....

"When I heard the learn'd astronomer
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture room,
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick
Till rising and gliding out, I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night air, and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars." -W.Whitman

Peace n Living in Stereo,

Three Toes of Fury

PS: For you pizza aficionados, i highly suggest Ken Forkish's book "The Elements of Pizza". Ive been on a never-ending quest to make great italian wood-fired style 'za at home.
The temperature environment thats needed is tough to pull off without some specialty gear, however Ken's book is a fascinating look at Pizza and provides some outstanding home recipes and methods.

May 29, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #33,335 of 150,427
Looks like an interesting book, I will check it out. I am considering building an outdoor wood fired oven anyway as well as experimenting with Kishu Binchotan charcoal and small grills.

May 29, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #33,336 of 150,427
We tested the Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler kolsch today (one of the many perks of being retired)...
Just OK. We will continue the search for Reissdorf.

May 29, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #33,337 of 150,427
We tested the Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler kolsch today (one of the many perks of being retired)...
Just OK. We will continue the search for Reissdorf.

I probably like it because I do not get to have it that often. I took the day off just to rest up a bit before returning to work. My schedule gets pretty hectic so every now and then I just need to lay back and relax. I did receive more special cotton paracord in the mail that I use for some of my personal cables. Pietro and another gentleman from here caused me to suddenly run low and I had about a two week wait to get it.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #33,338 of 150,427
2018, Chapter 7
Velocity vs. Sanity

But I can say, for me, that current engineering technology lets me keep up a pace I could only imagine in the past—and that pace is so fast I need to make myself take breaks from it.

And, in finding ways to take breaks, I think we’ll end up with better products.

We’ll see how right I am.

Very interesting stuff, and thanks for sharing. So, I'm also in the industry and also making consumer products, but our process is pretty different, and my personal job is more on the consumer end than the engineering.

I come from a school of thought that most of the innovation should basically happen on paper. In this view, a major part of the process is studying what people want, designing a (theoretically manufacturable) solution to their issue, and then going back to the customer again to validate the idea, before anyone even generates any G-code. :)

Of course there is always iteration once the design is "Finalized" meaning the engineering starts in earnest, but I have to agree that it sounds very labor intensive to be generating features in physical form before the concept is "final"!

May 30, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #33,339 of 150,427
This is how it should look like:

PizzaDiPietro.jpg

May 30, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #33,340 of 150,427
mmmmm

May 30, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #33,344 of 150,427
I envy your freedom to travel Joe, have an enjoyable safe trip my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back