Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 28, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #33,316 of 150,613
I have done a dozen diy amps, from the O2 to the neweer TI OP1622 chips in a very small package...805 parts were not that bad to hand solder,
but the leadless QFN package with 0.5 mm pitch were a different story...had to buy a hot air gun station and learn to how air solder.
The chips get really hot when doing this especially when there is a heat sink pad to solder to on the bottom of the part!!

This DIY project worked first time!! But I dont think I will do another one in the near future..

I would think Schitt has his vendors wave solder or oven solder vs the slow hand approach in this new small parts world...diy days may be numered!
Alex

Capture.JPG

May 28, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #33,317 of 150,613
Molte grazie!

I'm going to attempt this week and will let my 19 month old daughter and 4 year old son know they'll be shot if they fold the pizza. :cry:

-Peter
Don't shoot them if they do.
Shoot yourself. You're a disgrace to the education of your children.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #33,319 of 150,613
"Videre Neapolim et Mori" (Original Latin)
Means: First see Napels and then (the vilage of) Mori
As a way to say: First see the big and later the small as equal.
The name of Mori later became mori and muori (to die)
"Vedi Napoli e poi Muore" (Goethe)
Meaning: If you saw the beauty if this city you can die.
A more than inadequate attempt to change the original into stupid poetry.

May 28, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #33,320 of 150,613
Thanks to the tip from Tom @Paladin79, Annette was able to acquire a portion of the US "Leinenkugel's" kolsch bier!
This would pair nicely with an Italian pizza...especially the hot pickled pepper variety.
Such nice cuisine ideas presented here mates...I salute all. :)

US Kolsch.JPG

May 28, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #33,322 of 150,613
Glad you folks found it RCB I had Leine myself with a pizza that is a local favorite. College towns tend to have great pizzas as well as being good places to invest in real estate.

Mine had bacon, artichokes, and black olives.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #33,324 of 150,613
I may down the road, are you in the states?

May 28, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #33,326 of 150,613
I will send a PM when time allows.

May 29, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #33,327 of 150,613
I have done a dozen diy amps, from the O2 to the neweer TI OP1622 chips in a very small package...805 parts were not that bad to hand solder,
but the leadless QFN package with 0.5 mm pitch were a different story...had to buy a hot air gun station and learn to how air solder.
The chips get really hot when doing this especially when there is a heat sink pad to solder to on the bottom of the part!!

This DIY project worked first time!! But I dont think I will do another one in the near future..

I would think Schitt has his vendors wave solder or oven solder vs the slow hand approach in this new small parts world...diy days may be numered!
Alex

At first glance I thought "that doesn't look too crazy small to solder".......
.......and then I saw the liddle biddy thing next to R15. Yikes!

May 29, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #33,328 of 150,613
U1 is a TI Low Noise regulated swithced capacitor invertor. Its 2mm x 2mm and has 8 pads to solder.
Its only .8mm high and has a thermal pad that needs to be soldered as well as the 8 pads....its really
a difficult hand procdess....and amazing to watch the solder paste melt and this little chip wiggle into place.
Then hope you have no shorts from the thermal pad to the pins!

I have never taken a Schitt product apart, just never wanted to void the warrenty etc....

11.JPG 22.JPG
33.JPG

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #33,329 of 150,613
I have to share something and it pertains to Schiit, this is Ripper 2860 explaining the background noise on the new Chesky Meiko album:

TheLyr 3 is a very revealing amp and after additional careful listening, I think I may solved the mystery!! After isolating the rumble sound using Audacity and comparing with the sounds found on Youtube, I have finally determined the possible source of the rumble...

I believe someone in a breakroom down the hall was making a smoothie. The sound seems like that of a blender (Waring mode CB15T) and from what I could tell (due to viscosity based oscillation of blade sounds), it was strawberry-banana protein shake made with 2% milk.

Of course, I could be wrong, so I'd still like to hear from Chesky. :o2smile:
Hilarious! Rivals the toe tapping, shoelace flopping aural competition on Eric Clapton's Unplugged album, over on the HD800 thread.
I posted it to Currawong's Funny Posts thread. You're now famous @Ripper2860 :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/funny-comments-from-the-forums.538887/page-55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back