Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 23, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #33,166 of 155,196
Crowlers may be perfect. I'll check when I go to Pocock today.
See...the benefit of stepping back, time to think, hitting Pocock for a cold one or two. Great idea :)

May 23, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #33,169 of 155,196
Ha. Try a Fulla with 0402 parts.

And even that's pretty tame. Parts go WAY smaller these days.

DSCF5126.jpg

Much more my style now with my failing eyes and unsteady hands. Getting old is a bear.

May 23, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #33,170 of 155,196
I would be amazed if the Coaster amp would fit in this tin but Dapper Dan Pomade would make a very cool coaster amp if the size worked. Someone must buy this stuff, they are still in business. It could be just for fans of the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou I suppose.

I can't help you with Dapper Dan. Would a shoe polish tin work? Automotive paste wax tin? I've got another idea, so keep a lookout for a PM after I get some measurements.

May 23, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #33,172 of 155,196
Those miniature SMDs is why I don't solder on modern PCBs. Even with magnification it is not my idea of a fun time. Give me big through-hole components - for DIY, that is.

May 23, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #33,174 of 155,196
I would be amazed if the Coaster amp would fit in this tin but Dapper Dan Pomade would make a very cool coaster amp if the size worked. Someone must buy this stuff, they are still in business. It could be just for fans of the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou I suppose.

Oh Man, Dapper Dan. That Pomade would keep ones D/A razor sharp like the prow of a cigarette boat and unlike Vitalis was impervious to water.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #33,175 of 155,196
Great chapter @Jason Stoddard . So many good points. Enjoyable read.

New tools allow work to be accomplished faster. It is happening in many industries. Marketing has also added to the problem. Consumers have become used to new products yearly, or even sooner. Companies have become too dependent on new models to increase sales. Many companies rely on making their customers dissatisfied with last year's product.

Schiit doesn't need to do this! You already have superb products. Sales are going strong. Take time when changing a product. Make sure it is an improvement. Schiit doesn't need rapid product churn to stay profitable and in business. Don't let the industry and consumers push you to change too quickly. True product innovations don't come along that often.

May 23, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #33,176 of 155,196
Thanks for the can size info on the Dapper Dan, it runs about $20 a tin so I did not want to order any without knowing. Beer cans and such are more logical and the Magic 8 ball fits so well it is scary but never easy to open.

I have done plenty of through hole DIY but I have magnifying lights as well as a dual ocular Nikon inspection scope if need be as well as some miniature soldering irons. Somewhere I have some top of the line tweezers as well but I may have to search for those. I may mount a 25k pot as a rheostat instead of a plate load resistor and set up a test board for experimenting with different tubes. I like to use tiny gold pogo pins for some applications but there is not a lot of room on the board for that but I bet i can set up some test sockets for the tube leads.

If I get this down well enough, perhaps this winter I can do the board assembly for some of you folks that might find the soldering difficult, at no charge. I believe total parts cost for my first one may hit $40 or so depending on AC adapter. I am not exactly young but I can still solder well and I believe in helping out where I can.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #33,177 of 155,196
When I was young and beautiful and my wife was still alive....
I used one big trough the hole component.
Now that I'm old even the DIY part with it eludes me.

That’s what you get when you tell a man to step back and look at the big picture :dt880smile:

Wish I had more likes!

Edited for phrasing

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #33,178 of 155,196
Ok I gave you a like but only because you live in a country that gave us Tesla. Pietro got one as well because of Marconi, and Galvani, and Aldini, and most likely Volta. They also gave us Fiat, perhaps the less said there the better.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #33,179 of 155,196
Great chapter @Jason Stoddard . So many good points. Enjoyable read.

New tools allow work to be accomplished faster. It is happening in many industries. Marketing has also added to the problem. Consumers have become used to new products yearly, or even sooner. Companies have become too dependent on new models to increase sales. Many companies rely on making their customers dissatisfied with last year's product.

Schiit doesn't need to do this! You already have superb products. Sales are going strong. Take time when changing a product. Make sure it is an improvement. Schiit doesn't need rapid product churn to stay profitable and in business. Don't let the industry and consumers push you to change too quickly. True product innovations don't come along that often.
I think that's a great point, @barondla.
Companies driven by sales pressure often make hasty and risky product decisions. Product validation vanishes.
It's best that a company be product-driven...which I clearly see from Schiit Audio and Jason's postings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back