Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 23, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #33,151 of 155,191
Great reads, Jason and Ableza. I lived it for many years, in a different 24/7 industry, and just stepped away.
Miss the commotion and sense of accomplishment, at times, but really not very much.
Step back and take time to think...not always easy to convince some bosses that it's value-added time.

May 23, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #33,152 of 155,191
Sounds like a good way to properly use one as a coaster.

Does anyone happen to have a Fosters Lager can handy, and is it 3.5 inches, 90 mm diameter or more? It is the only short, modern beer can I can think of that might be large enough. 16 oz cans in the US are usually just taller unless there are some craft beers out there using wider cans.
The Mission Brewery has a 32 ounce can. Not sure what the diameter is but it's pretty large.

May 23, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #33,153 of 155,191
Hmm I am not sure that is in my area, I am out in the middle of nowhere in between corn fields and limestone quarries but maybe some kind soul could send me a couple cans with the beer still in them so I can experiment? I can imagine walking into my local licquor stores and asking for beer by can diameter.:ksc75smile: Luckily the coaster amp fits nicely into a shirt pocket, I may stop tonight and see what I can find.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #33,154 of 155,191
The Mission Brewery has a 32 ounce can. Not sure what the diameter is but it's pretty large.
The Crowler. Pretty popular at craft breweries for taking home beer. They seal the can right there. Maybe a brewery would seal a couple of their cans with the completed coaster amp inside. Now that would be unique.

May 23, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #33,155 of 155,191
Haha, the man with two major successful start-up businesses is lazy? :p I'm half your age and I could never handle a third of what you do my friend.

I jest of course, but I do think that's kinda the point. Everyone is different, and some people enjoy the grind, but I know myself well enough that I stay away from jobs like that. I get accused of being lazy, but I know what I can handle. And sometimes waiting to go to work till 4pm so I can have a beer and sit outside listening to my ciem's and watch the clouds is just as vital as doing the actual work (yes, I'm self employed), and I think people forget that. As you said, it's a balancing act. I just wish more people learned that lesson before they've sunk decades into a job and run themselves ragged and miserable. It could save a lot of people a lot of stress. I'm glad you recognized the need as well :)

May 23, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #33,156 of 155,191
Sounds like a good way to properly use one as a coaster.

Does anyone happen to have a Fosters Lager can handy, and is it 3.5 inches, 90 mm diameter or more? It is the only short, modern beer can I can think of that might be large enough. 16 oz cans in the US are usually just taller unless there are some craft beers out there using wider cans.

You could try a Heineken keg can as well.

May 23, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #33,157 of 155,191
Hmmm I will look for those as well.
Eventually I may cut some scotch bottles but I need to buy the bottle glass cutter first. It is a nice idea for the amp to be visible in glass. If I cut just the bottom, and maybe seal it with clear silicone that could be cut again if need be, it might look pretty cool.

I just learned something, Crowlers are cans and growlers are glass bottles. Ok I am done learning for today, one thing a day is plenty.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #33,158 of 155,191
A quick report on the coaster amp, from the objective and subjective side:

1. I've assembled a couple of them now, using 6418 tubes. They are reasonably consistent with respect to operating point, gain, and performance.
2. They actually don't sound like weak, high-distortion amps. They actually sound pretty good. They even get quite reasonable volume out of MrSpeakers Aeons, which are 13 ohm loads. This really isn't that surprising when you look at the actual voltage peaks--the Aeons play LOUD on 2-3V peak (about 1V RMS.)
3. There is some residual hum and noise and tube riiiinnnnnnnnggggggggggg that will likely make them unsuitable for custom IEMs, but is inaudible on most regular headphones. This isn't surprising, given the tubes and simple regulation.

At this point, I'm comfortable finishing up the measurements, getting the next chapter written, and releasing the coasters for purchase.*

*As COASTERS. Like I said, we'll post a schematic and BOM, but we don't sell parts, we won't provide tech support, we won't be held responsible if you try to run 115VAC straight into the board while taking a shower. They're COASTERS. If other, talented individuals can make them into functioning amps, that's cool. But that isn't their intended purpose.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 23, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #33,159 of 155,191
Crowlers may be perfect. I'll check when I go to Pocock today.

May 23, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #33,160 of 155,191
Hmm I am not sure that is in my area, I am out in the middle of nowhere in between corn fields and limestone quarries but maybe some kind soul could send me a couple cans with the beer still in them so I can experiment? I can imagine walking into my local licquor stores and asking for beer by can diameter.:ksc75smile: Luckily the coaster amp fits nicely into a shirt pocket, I may stop tonight and see what I can find.
I believe that Foster's is available in many stores that sell beer. Hell, if it is available in south Georgia/north Florida it should be sold in your neck of the woods.

May 23, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #33,161 of 155,191
I would be amazed if the Coaster amp would fit in this tin but Dapper Dan Pomade would make a very cool coaster amp if the size worked. Someone must buy this stuff, they are still in business. It could be just for fans of the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou I suppose.

What about Fopp. Have you thought of using that?

May 23, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #33,162 of 155,191
I believe that Foster's is available in many stores that sell beer. Hell, if it is available in south Georgia/north Florida it should be sold in your neck of the woods.

I can find Fosters lol, heck I can order a 32 oz glass at Outback and probably talk them out of the glass if I get the right waitress. It was Mission Brewery I was not so sure I could find. Next time I am in Northern Fairfax county in Virginia there is a store there with about ten aisles of craft beers, I will grab a selection of larger cans.

If Fopp has a can with 3.5 inch (90 mm) or bigger diameter, it might work, I may have to go with axial capacitors as opposed to radials if the height is not there but that is doable.

All surface mount parts and caps (everything but tubes) are waiting for me at home, thanks again to Sublime9 for a highly accurate parts list that made my parts ordering experience with Mouser extremely fast.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #33,163 of 155,191
Hi all,

Started on my coaster amp today. Attached gives a good representation of the size of the components. They are very small.

IMG_0730.jpg

May 23, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #33,164 of 155,191
If you get into the diodes and LED's you might mark cathode side and post it, or I will once I start the build. It might make things easier for DIY folks with less experience. Everything else should be pretty straightforward I believe except for changing plate resistors to match up with specific tubes.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #33,165 of 155,191
Hi all,

Started on my coaster amp today. Attached gives a good representation of the size of the components. They are very small.

Ha. Try a Fulla with 0402 parts.

And even that's pretty tame. Parts go WAY smaller these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back