Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 19, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #33,061 of 153,161
IMG_2722.JPG The Chambord bottle is pretty large and would have to be cut in half so I doubt it. i used to have a glass cutter for circular objects, you could cut a Micelob bottle in half and use the top for a base but that was many years ago. I also have the idea of an amp in a mug sitting on top of the coaster, pottery or ceramics should be easier to drill than glass. I have tiled three of my bathrooms so I have ceramic drill bits. Bottle cutters are available on Ebay but they would work better with cylindrical bottles. Some prosecco bottles I have would be a perfect size, or maybe a chianti bottle with the lower basket to hide the cuts.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #33,062 of 153,161
IMG_2719.JPG IMG_2721.JPG \\

Sorry about the extra post, I am not sure how to delete it. When my parts arrive I will see how things fit in this copper frame I made, then I will work on some finishing touches including a hinge. I like the idea of leaving this fairly open.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #33,063 of 153,161
\\

Sorry about the extra post, I am not sure how to delete it. When my parts arrive I will see how things fit in this copper frame I made, then I will work on some finishing touches including a hinge. I like the idea of leaving this fairly open.
Wow...
You're good!!!

May 19, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #33,064 of 153,161
It is just solid copper wire and solder right now but thanks.

May 19, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #33,066 of 153,161
Assuming budget ...

If you want truly budget price but non-budget sound and don't mind separates -- the Magni 3 amp and your choice of Modi DAC (Modi 2, Modi 2 Uber or my favorite, Modi Multibit) will work nicely with HD6XXs. Don't let the price fool you, the Magni 3 can definitely drive the HD6XX to very high levels.

If you want a single chassis AMP/DAC combo, the Jotunheim w/ DAC module is very nice and can run the HD6XX nicley -- especially if you spring for some balanced cables for the headphone.
One really can’t go wrong with the Magni & Modi pairing. I’m happy with them. Even with the Canadian-USD exchange rate & duties, it was worth it. Welcome, fellow Torontonian, @alex5908 .... the HD650... even if you find them, are twice the price of the HD6xx (Massdrop) offering. My Massdrop HD6xx should arrive st the end of August.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #33,067 of 153,161
You won't be disappointed by hd6xx.

On a scotch/Schiit related topic, I tried Johnny Walker blue label tonight for the first time in my life. My father in law isn't a scotch drinker, he tried my black label, and didn't like it..... So as a follow-up he paid 25 bucks for a drink of blue label.....He didn't like that either, but man I loved it. Now I have decisions to make. A bottle of blue, or loki mini...... @Jason Stoddard what would you do.... They end up about the same cost after shipping..

May 20, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #33,068 of 153,161
On a scotch/Schiit related topic, I tried Johnny Walker blue label tonight for the first time in my life. My father in law isn't a scotch drinker, he tried my black label, and didn't like it..... So as a follow-up he paid 25 bucks for a drink of blue label.....He didn't like that either, but man I loved it. Now I have decisions to make. A bottle of blue, or loki mini...... @Jason Stoddard what would you do.... They end up about the same cost after shipping..

The Loki will be there, giving up great sound, long after the scotch mod bottle is empty...

May 20, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #33,069 of 153,161
I am going to start with some Raytheon 6088 tubes and then try a few others later in the Coaster amp. If anyone has experience with this type of tube and wants to make suggestions it would certainly help.

I am adding a patina to the copper frame for a coaster amp. All you need is a sealed metal or plastic chamber, a method of suspending your materials above either ammonia or vinegar, and some sea salt. I think most any salt will work. The fumes from the ammonia react with the copper and can give you a nice malachite blue. Cu2CO3(OH)2 Heat can speed up the reaction. I usually spray a mixture of water and sea salt on the copper, then sprinkle grains of salt on top of that. You can achieve a rich, dark patina in 24 hours or less. When finished you simply wash off the excess salt etc., allow to dry, and apply a clear finish. It is best to set the chamber outside or in a well ventilated shed or such and avoid breathing the fumes.

I do not drink blended scotch often but blue label is certainly a good way to go. A lesser expensive blended scotch I like is Dimple Pinch.

https://www.shop.lavinotheque.us/Th...x_rzsvjHcp9uVallKdLltcM5_WY4gtvUaAtPhEALw_wcB

This morn I am listening to Lou Reed...The Sire Years box set. There are some albums I only listen to on tube type amps, and right now the Lyr 2 is my selection and Sennheiser HD6xx's.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #33,070 of 153,161
You won't be disappointed by hd6xx.

You could enjoy either one some evening, but you would still have your Loki the next morning. Also, Loki would not ask you if you still respected her as the sun came up.

May 20, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #33,071 of 153,161
IMG_2735.JPG IMG_2731 (1).JPG For those of you looking for a fairly quick and inexpensive way to mount a Schiit Coaster amp, this is a plastic, magic 8 ball sold by Mattel. Cost is $6.39, shipping included, Amazon prime. It has a flat bottom and a seam running around the center of the ball. I have yet to get this one open, but I shall. Being plastic it will be easy to drill, non conductive, and might look kind of cool sitting on a desk. One of my employees with fairly young children suggested this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001ZWV7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The magic 8 ball is hard to get open but.....once opened, the cylinder pops out and there is a ledge on the bottom half, and the 3.5 inch board fits perfectly inside the 8 ball. There is not a fraction of an inch to spare. The bottom is now open so you can reach under to pop the board back out. I repeat, this was hard to open, if you wish to try this PM me and I will give you instructions.

There may well be enough room to mount the 3.5 mm jacks and power jack, close the ball entirely, and raise the top up enough to plug in cables when needed. If Jason had tried to be sure the board was the proper size to fit inside this toy, he could not have done a better job, it is perfect. Right now you can buy shares of Mattel for about $15, I have a feeling there may soon be a run on magic 8 balls.

Don't you just love it when a plan works and you do not slice into your hand in the process!!!!

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #33,072 of 153,161
LOL. I've seen worse, but yeah... I don't think Tekton designs resonate well with the feminine world.
I have Tekton Lores in black and another set in bright orange, and a set of Double Impacts in light gray. My wife has no problems with them at all. They make her favorite music and movies sound great so she's good with how they look.

May 20, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #33,073 of 153,161
Can anyone give an update on the Schiit SOL? I read it will be available "late summer" by chance? In addition to the SOL itself, I assume one will ALSO need to purchase a MANI plus a MM/MC cartridge of choice? Is this about correct? Will Schiit tell us which cartridges they use for development/prototypes?

May 20, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #33,074 of 153,161
Can anyone give an update on the Schiit SOL? I read it will be available "late summer" by chance? In addition to the SOL itself, I assume one will ALSO need to purchase a MANI plus a MM/MC cartridge of choice? Is this about correct? Will Schiit tell us which cartridges they use for development/prototypes?
SOL?

May 20, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #33,075 of 153,161

Users who are viewing this thread

Back