Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 21, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #33,091 of 149,272
Pietro's Secret Pizza Dough Recipe.
Conform the rules of the "Associazione Verace Pizza Napolitana".

ingredients: 1l water, 55g salt, 3g fresh (beer) yeast, 1,8kg flour.
- Dissolve the salt into the water.
- Make a volcano sort of mountain from the flour and put the water in it's "crater".
- Carefully blend up to 10% of the flour, then add yeast.
- Blend until all flour is used.
- Knead the whole for min 10 minutes and max 15 minutes to an even elastic ball with the tacky property of a post-it note.
- Let the whole rise for 2 hours at 25 degr Celsius under a damp dishcloth (not too wet, we are not water boarding).
- Part the dough in smaller balls (180-250g depending on pizza size).
- Let the smaller balls rise for another 4 to 6 hours under a damp cloth at 25 degr Celcius.

Now you have the perfect pizza dough which you flatten by hand (no rolling pin).
This is important since the sweat/warmth of your hands add to the perfection of the pizza bottom.
Keep the bottom thin.
Dress the bottom as you like it and cook in the oven at the highest temperature until ready.
So keep looking and do not leave the kitchen.

In Italy one does not drink wine with pizza.
It's a disgrace. You drink beer.
Pizza is eaten with the use of knife and fork.
Do not eat pizza with your hands.
It's a disgrace.
Do not fold the pizza before eating.
It's a disgrace and in Napoli you'll be shot on the spot.
Pietro's Secret Pizza Dough Recipe.
Conform the rules of the "Associazione Verace Pizza Napolitana".

ingredients: 1l water, 55g salt, 3g fresh (beer) yeast, 1,8kg flour.
- Dissolve the salt into the water.
- Make a volcano sort of mountain from the flour and put the water in it's "crater".
- Carefully blend up to 10% of the flour, then add yeast.
- Blend until all flour is used.
- Knead the whole for min 10 minutes and max 15 minutes to an even elastic ball with the tacky property of a post-it note.
- Let the whole rise for 2 hours at 25 degr Celsius under a damp dishcloth (not too wet, we are not water boarding).
- Part the dough in smaller balls (180-250g depending on pizza size).
- Let the smaller balls rise for another 4 to 6 hours under a damp cloth at 25 degr Celcius.

Now you have the perfect pizza dough which you flatten by hand (no rolling pin).
This is important since the sweat/warmth of your hands add to the perfection of the pizza bottom.
Keep the bottom thin.
Dress the bottom as you like it and cook in the oven at the highest temperature until ready.
So keep looking and do not leave the kitchen.

In Italy one does not drink wine with pizza.
It's a disgrace. You drink beer.
Pizza is eaten with the use of knife and fork.
Do not eat pizza with your hands.
It's a disgrace.
Do not fold the pizza before eating.
It's a disgrace and in Napoli you'll be shot on the spot.

There is a very good show on Netflix hosted by David Chang called Ugly Delicious. The first episode covers pizza and one chef travels to Italy to explore the official pizza that Pietro describes up above. I recall that type of oven, cheese, and tomatoes are covered as well for it to be a sanctioned product.

May 21, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #33,092 of 149,272
Sounds like the Dead really sparked some creativity in the sound reproduction field. Or is it just that the Dead told them how to get the good stuff? :wink:

Yes! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Alembic Sound was as much an R & D group as it was a PA company. They looked at everything from how guitar pickups were wound, to how amps worked, to speaker arrays for phase coherent sound dispersion. All the people had experience in engineering, in radio, and such. Ron Wickersham, mentioned above, was a wizard at Ampex who got "poached" before poaching was a "thing." When the first Ampex 16 track machine showed up at a SF recording studio, it was immediately "purloined" by the GD crew to recording the 1968 New Year's show at the Winterland Ballroom, because they knew how the technology could serve the music. And that is what it's all about- how the technology serves the music.

Here's a 1973 Rolling Stone article regarding Alembic: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/sound-wizards-to-the-grateful-dead-19730927

May 21, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #33,095 of 149,272
Do we yet know the size of cd transport from Schiit.
I have no clue, but I would suspect it would match the form factor of their other components (at least width) so it looks good stacking

Modi = 5" wide
Bifrost = 9" wide
Yggdrasil = 16" wide

I would suspect 9" is possible but 16" more likely if they want something more than just the most basic of transports.
(Maybe both with similar transports, but different form factors and price points - 9" = basic & 16" includes a DAC, more I/O, XLR, etc)
I have an extra Oppo 980 and an Emotiva ERC-1, but the Emotiva is just too huge (4.25″ H x 17″ W x 14″ D) for a desktop setting.

May 21, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #33,097 of 149,272
So my Mimby arrived today, with two coasters. Huge thanks to Jason and the Schiit team for making that happen. The coasters are awesome, I hope there will be an opportunity to buy them (as coasters) at some point, but I am very grateful I got two.

As far as Mimby goes, I am blown away when using the optical input. This is my first standalone DAC, and its massive improvement over the integrated DACs used in my other electronics. More substance, more depth, more meat, better clarity, better realism. Bass lines shine through in songs I had never noticed before. Soft treble sounds come through in others.

USB & mimby is better then my ipads internal DAC, but optical seems to offer much better clarity & energy. Used my phone as usb source, with a cheap cable I bought years ago off Amazon. I listened to a Katy Perry song, (please don't hate, Chained to the Rythym has a great bass punch.) and the hand clap on usb was great, but was faded and hollow compared to what I got through optical. The Mimby with optical brought out that hand clap in a way I had never heard before.

On Those Shoes by the Eagles the song sounded as if I was hearing it for the first time. The sound Mimby brought out in the guitar and bass strings was incredible.

Anyway, I'm rambling as usual. Thanks to Mike, Jason, and the rest of the Schiit team for a great product.

Edited 06/18/18 after listening to USB a bunch lately, I think I prefer it to the Chromecast audio/optical I generally use. Less source gain equals better volume control, at least from my point of view.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #33,098 of 149,272
They have never indicated that development of a CD transport is even being considered.

Mike did some weeks ago...

Product candidate number 1 is a CD transport. It has been built as an alpha. It works and sounds fine - I feel content with respect to its performance. It should be a $300 to $500 product. The dependencies of a workable production product are our ability to source a transport assembly in the thousands of units, and our ability to design packing and ship production quantities of fragile items, which we have not yet done. I am convinced that CDs (many/most of which can yet be easily found at a dollar and under) will become popular and enjoy a resurgence of popularity once most realize that streaming is seldom, if ever, the best possible digital source. The original Solti Ring cycle on CD (not the remaster) is by far and away the best sounding. (I know, Bosie, you hate the Solti Ring – the fact remains that is a sonic miracle and one of the two or three best recordings of the last century.) I maintain now is the time to acquire CDs before they suffer the price inflation of California coastal real estate or vinyl records.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-516#post-14230379

Regards :)

May 21, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #33,099 of 149,272
Rensek...Huge thanks to Jason and the Schiit team for making that happen. The coasters are awesome, I hope there will be an opportunity to buy them (as coasters) at some point, but I am very grateful I got two.

I spoke to Jason today and he gave me the impression there should be plenty of Coasters to go around.

IMG_2736.JPG This is the patina I achieved in one day; the wire wrapping around the bottom is some star quad I will use to construct a matching 3.5 mm cable. That is only the shield that was affected by the process, inside are twisted pair that shall allow for a good transference of signal. It is my first attempt at changing the looks of copper shield so there may be more experimenting before I get the product I will finally use. After this dries there will be a clear sealant over all copper. Imagine a darkened room with the tubes glowing dimly within the sphere, softly lighting the frame, or at least that is my concept.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #33,100 of 149,272
As far as Mimby goes, I am blown away when using the optical input. This is my first standalone DAC, and its massive improvement over the integrated DACs used in my other electronics. More substance, more depth, more meat, better clarity, better realism. Bass lines shine through in songs I had never noticed before. Soft treble sounds come through in others.

USB & mimby is better then my ipads internal DAC, but optical seems to offer much better clarity & energy. Used my phone as usb source, with a cheap cable I bought years ago off Amazon. I listened to a Katy Perry song, (please don't hate, Chained to the Rythym has a great bass punch.) and the hand clap on usb was great, but was faded and hollow compared to what I got through optical. The Mimby with optical brought out that hand clap in a way I had never heard before.

On Those Shoes by the Eagles the song sounded as if I was hearing it for the first time. The sound Mimby brought out in the guitar and bass strings was incredible.
Welcome to the Team. Enjoy all music like you've never heard before.

May 21, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #33,101 of 149,272
Welcome to the Team. Enjoy all music like you've never heard before.

Thanks, will be testing mimby in my 2 channel tonight. I'm already planning on how to afford Gumby/Vidar/Saga. When I was younger & poorer I was a decent card player. Now I just like to have a few beers and see some flops. This might give me cause to bone up on my skills again.

May 21, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #33,102 of 149,272
... Imagine a darkened room with the tubes glowing dimly within the sphere, softly lighting the frame, or at least that is my concept.
I think you will get more of a glow from the amber LEDs

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #33,103 of 149,272
You may well be right Jimmers. As I said I have no experience with those miniature tubes, thus my lack of knowledge about associated tube glow:smile_phones:

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #33,104 of 149,272
Yep, the tiny tubes don't glow. At all.

Use 15K as a plate load if you're gonna do 6088s. You're actually shooting for about 7.5V DC at the output (before the coupling cap, of course) for maximum output swing. 15K will get you close to that for 6088s. 10K will get you close to that for 6418s.

You can adjust the plate load for the specific tubes to get it closer if you'd like, because the tubes do vary...and quite a bit. Don't be surprised if you need to match them.

I'll have a chapter up later this week--a bit of a right turn. But don't consider the coasters dead, I'll finish them up and post up the design with the proper caveats about it not being super-powerful.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 22, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #33,105 of 149,272

Users who are viewing this thread

Back