Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 14, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #32,851 of 150,705
As I've said before, literally everyone else on the planet does DIY better than we do. Better we concentrate on smarter, high-volume, "shrink wrap" designs that deliver even better value.

Bummer. I guess that means a 'Schiit Kit' for the Rag or Lyr3 is not gonna happen. :frowning2:

:D

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #32,852 of 150,705
Unless I mess something up again. Which is entirely possible.

I always imagine that every once a while the people in the Schiithole? occasionally hear a voice from Jason's office increasingly saying "Oh crap, Oh crap, Oh crap!!", followed by the sound of a small explosion and then shortly after Jason walks out through his office door with his hair slightly on fire, his clothes and eyebrows singed and burnt, a sheepish look on his face and he says "I think I know what I did wrong".

May 14, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #32,854 of 150,705
To illustrate why I'm not so keen on the coaster amp, here's one for the engineers.

Coaster amp THD+N Ratio vs Measured Level.jpg

See this comparison of THD vs output level for the original Vali 1, a Magni 3, and a coaster amp with a 6418 tube in one channel and a 6088 tube in another channel. Yes, you're looking at over 1% THD at 2V RMS from the 6418 and a whopping 8% on the 6088, vs 0.4% on the Vali 1 and basically nothin' on the Magni 3 (0.0005%). I may be able to tweak operating points on the coaster amp a bit, but it ain't gonna get much better.

The key question is: is the coaster amp too crappy as an amp to proceed?

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 14, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #32,855 of 150,705
I always imagine that every once a while the people in the Schiithole? occasionally hear a voice from Jason's office increasingly saying "Oh ****, Oh ****, Oh ****!!", followed by the sound of a small explosion and then shortly after Jason walks out through his office door with his hair slightly on fire, his clothes and eyebrows singed and burnt, a sheepish look on his face and he says "I think I know what I did wrong".

LOL! I have a similar image... I always picture something like Wile E. Coyote - Super Genius...100s of tries, just knowing he'll get it right, but

On the opposite end, I picture something akin to Gene Wilder from Young Frankenstein.... every time he has a breakthrough if Gene were raising a glass of single malt. Or better yet, the kids from Weird Science after they see Kelly Lebrock walk through the mist for the first time. Schiit, now I can't get the image of Jason and Baldr with bras on their heads out of my head.... or Chet as a pile of Schiit.... mind bleach.... please. Moving on.

I know the quality is engineered-in with a ton of forethought, but some of my favorite posts are when Jason and/or Baldr are sharing their genuine surprise with performance and sound quality even after a Schiit-load of hard work. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during some "first-listens".

tl;dr - The relentless "sticktuitiveness" of Jason and his team inspires.

May 14, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #32,857 of 150,705
To illustrate why I'm not so keen on the coaster amp, here's one for the engineers.

See this comparison of THD vs output level for the original Vali 1, a Magni 3, and a coaster amp with a 6418 tube in one channel and a 6088 tube in another channel. Yes, you're looking at over 1% THD at 2V RMS from the 6418 and a whopping 8% on the 6088, vs 0.4% on the Vali 1 and basically nothin' on the Magni 3 (0.0005%). I may be able to tweak operating points on the coaster amp a bit, but it ain't gonna get much better.

The key question is: is the coaster amp too crappy as an amp to proceed?

What if you offered the board to five volunteers, board, bom, and schematic and let us see what we could do to improve on it? I would volunteer, possibly people like Ableza and TomSix but I cannot speak for them of course. I would supply my own parts and time and even offer to buy a couple of the circuit boards in case I needed to alter one. In DIY the builds are refined over time and this might allow you to concentrate on money making product. I have a feeling several would volunteer to help but that is just an opinion.

Tom

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #32,858 of 150,705
Sounds good within its limits, but it is no powerhouse. VERY limited.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 14, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #32,859 of 150,705
Jason,
Do you have enough PC boards to allow others to experiment at this point? You have been open and honest and this is just a one time deal and for me it would be cheap entertainment. Even in the most researched DIY, you bought it, you own it, I would think there is limited liability and I am used to signing non disclosure agreements if that helps.

May 14, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #32,861 of 150,705
I'm very excited to buy a set to actually use as coasters. However, I was also looking forward to maybe trying to build one myself, with zero expectations of getting something usable, much less good, out of it. I know there will be better avenues for this kind of DIY project but I'm invested in this community, so it would be more fun if it was a Schiit coaster amp. Just my 2c.

May 14, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #32,862 of 150,705
I know the deep bass will be compromised in such a small cabinet, which is also fine for the WAF

I've been impressed with the bass measured from transmission line single driver speakers like Role Audio makes. Maybe a design like that can work for you...

May 14, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #32,863 of 150,705
I wanted to buy a couple of coasters to use as coasters, and thought it would be fun to try my hand at making one, I haven't picked up a soldering iron in many years, would be fun to do again.

+1 on the community aspect, and not really caring how it measures.

May 15, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #32,865 of 150,705
I hate to derail the thread as it managed to wind its way back to Schiit, but ...
If you are a Jazz lover -- check out Joey Alexander's album, Eclipse. Glorious!! (If you are a Jazz piano lover -- you must check this one out!!) (If you love jazz drums -- you must check this one out!!!) :ok_hand:

Now back to Schitt...
Ordering my Lyr 3 with Tung Sol and standard Russian tube tomorrow!! My stack soon consist of PC -> EITR -> Modi Multibit -> Loki -> Lyr 3.

Can't wait!!!! :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back