Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 10, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #32,732 of 153,404
… or just use a preamp. :)

By the way I built a B1 buffer a few years ago and liked it so much I used it as the input selector for a small integrated amp I designed and built for my home office. Works great, sounds good.

May 10, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #32,733 of 153,404
The challenge becomes finding a reasonably price good sounding one. The Pro Audio use them in studios but they are not reasonably priced for the good ones. Nelson Pass First Watt has A B1 buffer if you are up for a DIY project.

I just got an email that the Amp Camp kit is available for pre- order from DIYaudio, class a audio speaker amps that can be used in monoblock configuration.

May 10, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #32,735 of 153,404
I don't have even a fraction of your technical knowledge, but I can offer my experiences: I split the output from my Bifrost Multibit between my Valhalla and Cavalli Liquid Carbon amps. The first time I turned on the Valhalla and left the LC off I found the sound very distorted and it took me quite a while to figure out that the distortion disappeared once I turned the LC on. So it seems that the LC's input impedance when turned off is low enough that it impacts the Bifrost's ability to drive the Valhalla. Once both amps are turned on everything works fine. By the way, the opposite configuration (LC on, Valhalla off) did not introduce any distortion.

I have since purchased a small distribution amp to use between the Bifrost and my amps. This has eliminated the problem altogether.

The challenge becomes finding a reasonably price good sounding one. The Pro Audio use them in studios but they are not reasonably priced for the good ones. Nelson Pass First Watt has A B1 buffer if you are up for a DIY project.

… or just use a preamp. :)

By the way I built a B1 buffer a few years ago and liked it so much I used it as the input selector for a small integrated amp I designed and built for my home office. Works great, sounds good.

Given my cerebral palsy, going the DIY route is unfortunately a no-go. I'm a little weary of a preamp as this adds another potentiometer into the mix which could be detrimental to the sound quality. A distribution amp could work, provided it is sonically transparent. I'll have to do some research into this...

May 10, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #32,736 of 153,404
I tried to find the post where it was Jason who wrote this in answer to somebody else's post.
A long long time ago.

How could you find anything amongst all the noise?

May 10, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #32,737 of 153,404
I'm a little weary of a preamp as this adds another potentiometer into the mix which could be detrimental to the sound quality. .

Only if you buy stupid cheap Chinese crap. Good preamps do not deteriorate the sound quality, that is an audiophoole myth.

May 10, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #32,741 of 153,404
OK now. I'm coming up on a major milestone -- 100 posts at Head-fi!! I'll be taking some time and giving this momentous post great thought as I do wish to make it an epic and unforgettable post!! :thumbsup:

May 10, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #32,742 of 153,404
Hey wait!! This is post #101. What???!!!!

:rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #32,743 of 153,404
These are the true challenges for those who use the internet...

social-work-and-social-media-presentation-34-728.jpg

or just one whiney one...

May 10, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #32,744 of 153,404
OK now. I'm coming up on a major milestone -- 100 posts at Head-fi!! I'll be taking some time and giving this momentous post great thought as I do wish to make it an epic and unforgettable post!! :thumbsup:

I am reminded of a Bradbury title, Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Then I saw you missed the 100 and are on 101?

You would have more posts if you liked kittens.

May 10, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #32,745 of 153,404
Fair enough and makes perfect sense -- DOH!! I don't know what I was thinking when I asked that. A neutral sounding tube that is true to the music should suit all music. If one has a neutral and musical tube and feels they must make adjustments for certain types of music, then there's likely a problem or weakness somewhere else -- either the equipment, the headphones, or the source itself.
See @Ripper2860, it's a learning process for us all.
BTW, I didn't realize the Doobie Brothers had pre- and post- Michael MacDonald stages...do you have details? Thx in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back