Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 28, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #32,086 of 150,874
Apr 28, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #32,087 of 150,874

Grace Slick,

Planned to dose Lady Bird Johnson with LSD. Good times.

The internet is a wonderful thing. I bought a sealed Everly Brothers LP on eBay for less than 1/3 of the original inflation adjusted price, Nine 2018 dollars. Here it is playing Let It Be Me on a 1956 Magnavox Concerto, my wife's first record player from her Aunt Evelyn, that cost a hefty $158 dollars in 1956. upload_2018-4-28_20-18-27.png

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #32,089 of 150,874
I bought the pc board and downloaded a BOM. I think it was $22, whole build may be $100 total. DIYAudio called the Whammy I think. I can look it up later. The gentleman who designed it specializes in preamps. A buddy who runs Zynsonix was building one so I figured I would pop one together myself.

Im also lookinh at whammy. Curious to know where do you get the parts? Did you order online? If so from which website?

Apr 28, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #32,090 of 150,874
IMG_1196 (4).JPG Most parts have Mouser part numbers. Many resistors and electrolytics I already own. I may be missing a .22 Mylar cap but I am not sure yet till I search my own parts. My friend from Zynsonix basically copied me some of his parts list and I ordered what he ordered.

If you have an understanding of electronics there are ways to achieve some resistor values by using like or unlike values in series or parallel. Having a really accurate multimeter helps.

I am not totally positive I am lacking parts yet, when I build something like this I start with small items that are close to the board rather than trying to insert them around larger parts that might stick up more.

Some of you here are obviously capable of such builds but if you are just starting out, stick with a company who sells you everything as a kit, otherwise you could be spending a lot of time trying to figure out some things. I did find a couple errors in the BOM but nothing major, the pc board is excellent and I was totally impressed with its construction.

This is probably only appropriate conversation since Jason may offer something similar, a PC board with parts or BOM list. I have been working with such things for a lot of years and have laid out my own pc boards but if you are just starting out, this may not be the build for you.

It also helps to have a well equipped shop, here is part of mine. I keep as many as three soldering irons going at any given time with different sized tips as well as associated hand tools.

Attachments

• IMG_1187 (1).JPG
    IMG_1187 (1).JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #32,091 of 150,874
For all of you Canadians out there, look to use a parcel service. US shipping rates to a US location near/at the US/CA border. You order the goods & pay the parcel service to receive them for you ($5 in my area), and then you either pick them up in the US or you pay a little bit more for a local courier to run them into Canada and put them into domestic shipping.

I'm a licensed US customs broker, and I've noticed one of our larger accounts has started using Purolator/UPS more often instead of FedEx Ground like they usually do. Probably something going on company wide. It's ok with me, UPS is superior in many areas (but not perfect).

Sigh, wasn’t NAFTA supposed to aleviate these headaches? Interesting advice, @Rensek . Thanks, eh.

Apr 28, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #32,092 of 150,874
I doubt that...

I hope Schiit and FedEx can work it out. If not USPS and UPS are still readily available. I have used all 3, FedEx, UPS and USPS for my Schiit purchases and actually had the best luck and prices with the old USPS.

:)
FedEx was able to seamlessly process duties & brokerage fees. I’ve had bad luck with UPS here in The north end Toronto. USPS will transfer my parcel to Canada Post.
Meh, we’ll see.

Apr 28, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #32,093 of 150,874
Here’s where we are:
  1. If you like the current Ragnarok, you may hate the new one. It’s a complete rethink in the vein of the Lyr 2/3 changeover—different topology and output, different chassis, different thermal management.
  2. It’ll have Vidar heatsinks, so it will run very cool—that’s a ridiculous amount of heatsinking for its power output. Power output will be the same, or nearly the same, as the outgoing version.
  3. Of course, it will have remote control.
  4. Of course, it will have speakers/headphones/both selectable with a separate control.
  5. It will still have 3 gain levels.
  6. It’ll use a new topology we haven’t used before, but it will still be differential.
  7. I’m holding back a couple of features which I don’t feel like discussing right now, but I think you’ll be excited about.
Beyond that, what do you think? Like I said, no guarantees, but we will listen.

Disclaimer: I’m afraid that there isn’t much I can do to make the product smaller or more desk-friendly, but that’s why racks were invented. I also can’t break the laws of physics, nor make a new Ragnarok much more or less expensive than the outgoing model.
I have a Ragnarok & love it. My criticisms of it are mostly ergonomic.

I'd prefer to put it in a rack; but the current iteration runs 30° hotter in a rack than on my desk. Then there's the rear power switch. If Ragnarok 2 is rack friendly, I'll probably buy one. I'd love to have 18" of my desk back.
While I can live with 60W, 100W would be better. I do not need it to go louder, I'd just like a little bit more room at the top. I know exactly where it will go into self-protect mode.
A 128 step attenuator please? You'd think 64 would be adequately granular; but I still find myself wanting something in between steps.
While the switch between headphones, speakers, & both is functional, it is awkward. I'd love to be able to visually see what is selected. A two position switch would work for me, I've never had a reason to use both at the same time.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #32,096 of 150,874
Well, if this ain't a pants-schiiting moment, I don't know what is. Thanks to one of our fans, this came to our attention today:

http://thestandard.com.ph/news/top-...-agents-seize-p20-million-drug-shipment-.html

On the one hand, we now know why the FedEx account got hung up, like, right fn now.

And, this jives with the generalities of what FedEx told us.

But, like, HOLY SHEEEEEIIIIIIITTTT! You never, ever, ever, ever, ever want to see your company name next to a big drug bust.

Let me clarify: our account was compromised. Someone did a bunch of third-party shipments using the account. Nothing was shipped out of our warehouse. None of our employees were involved. FedEx investigated and reinstated us. Schiit does not, repeat, does not have a side business selling drugs...well, unless you consider audiophile components addictive.

Seriously, guys, this world is nuts. You just can't make this up.
The Pony Express never had this problem.

Of course they went out of business after a year or two....

I'm too tired to even think how FedEx could allow this to happen.

At least baby seat boosters can hold a load of Schiit! So that was fitting. Jason Stoddard was quoted as saying "Schiit Multibit baby seats are guaranteed to be Schitt proof for 5 years or your money back!"...And a crib??

Shouldn't they at least give a Schiit enough to say, "We, FedEx are embarrassed and take responsibility for the breach"?

Apr 28, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #32,097 of 150,874
Wow. At least the contraband wasn't shipped hidden in a Lyr 3 or Rok box :xf_eek:

Hmmmm. There may be a way to capitalize on this event. While it is a deviation from the Nordic naming convention, my vote is to name the potential 25W Class A/Continuity amplifier, shabu. :D

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #32,098 of 150,874
I didn't. I was a heavy smoker myself. You see that a lot in health care.
Since I don't smoke for a lot of years anymore I wouldn't give anyone a cigarette.
Even giving away food is out of my means as you all know by now.
It's me being dependent on the kindness of others.

I always wondered why in the Netherlands so many people that work in healthcare smoke, whilst they must know how bad it is. Is that because of work pressure?

Apr 29, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #32,099 of 150,874
Well, if this ain't a pants-schiiting moment, I don't know what is. Thanks to one of our fans, this came to our attention today:

http://thestandard.com.ph/news/top-...-agents-seize-p20-million-drug-shipment-.html

On the one hand, we now know why the FedEx account got hung up, like, right fn now.

And, this jives with the generalities of what FedEx told us.

But, like, HOLY SHEEEEEIIIIIIITTTT! You never, ever, ever, ever, ever want to see your company name next to a big drug bust.

Let me clarify: our account was compromised. Someone did a bunch of third-party shipments using the account. Nothing was shipped out of our warehouse. None of our employees were involved. FedEx investigated and reinstated us. Schiit does not, repeat, does not have a side business selling drugs...well, unless you consider audiophile components addictive.

Seriously, guys, this world is nuts. You just can't make this up.

Yikes!!!..... Makati is my 2nd home, I'm back there again for work in two weeks time. The "defendant's" address is walking distance from where I stay

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #32,100 of 150,874
I always wondered why in the Netherlands so many people that work in healthcare smoke, whilst they must know how bad it is. Is that because of work pressure?
Because they get you on board when you are young. It proofs to me how addictive ‘tabaco’ is. I speak from own experience, stopped once even seven years......still struggling with the damn tabaco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back