Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 29, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #32,101 of 153,470
A 128 step attenuator please? You'd think 64 would be adequately granular; but I still find myself wanting something in between steps.

That's my primary request, I don't need a remote but as the Freya already has a128 stepped attenuator with remote capability, it would just make sense to go with an existing part already used in their lineup.

Another thought; "IF" Ragnarok 2 comes to fruition maybe they would put in a 2 tube, 6SN7, balanced, front end with a switch capable of choosing between sending the signal to either a headphone amp (balanced or SE out), or to the power amp section. Now that I've had some time with LYR 3 it makes me wish they had done something with a balanced / SE headphone output on Freya. Or maybe with the the new circuit design in LYR 3 they will break away from balanced designs altogether. Or maybe, "monkeys might fly out of my butt". Possibilities are endless, LOL!

Apr 29, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #32,103 of 153,470
Well, if this ain't a pants-schiiting moment, I don't know what is. Thanks to one of our fans, this came to our attention today:

http://thestandard.com.ph/news/top-...-agents-seize-p20-million-drug-shipment-.html

On the one hand, we now know why the FedEx account got hung up, like, right fn now.

And, this jives with the generalities of what FedEx told us.

But, like, HOLY SHEEEEEIIIIIIITTTT! You never, ever, ever, ever, ever want to see your company name next to a big drug bust.

Let me clarify: our account was compromised. Someone did a bunch of third-party shipments using the account. Nothing was shipped out of our warehouse. None of our employees were involved. FedEx investigated and reinstated us. Schiit does not, repeat, does not have a side business selling drugs...well, unless you consider audiophile components addictive.

Seriously, guys, this world is nuts. You just can't make this up.

OMG! Your marketing folks must be standing out on a ledge...

I have my Yggy coming back from being upgraded tomorrow via FEDEX. Hopefully it will be my Yggy in the box!

:)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #32,104 of 153,470
I have my Yggy coming back from being upgraded tomorrow via FEDEX. Hopefully it will be my Yggy in the box!

Well, if it's not you can sell the contents and buy several Yggys. Makes a great gift!

JC

Apr 29, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #32,105 of 153,470
I literally sat there, staring at the screen of the Surface Pro I use as an engineering computer, and thinking, You are the dumbest butthead on the planet.

**** it, tear it down, I thought finally.
This reminds me of a saying we have in our QA Lab: Don't get married to your setup. I've had to scrap completed inspection programs and start over because the first idea isn't always the best or most efficient way.

Regarding the next flagship amp, thanks for sharing some details on where you're headed. It sounds like it's shaping up to be the all-in-one product I've been waiting for.

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #32,109 of 153,470
Nice workshop!
Hey - did you neaten up the bench for the picture? All the tools seem to be "aligned." :)

IMG_2661.JPG IMG_2666.JPG My bench was only that clean then because i had removed everything in order to use up some ceramic tile on the back wall. I tiled three bathrooms in my house and I try not to waste anything so I used a few pieces behind my workbench.

Rarely do I get to stop and clean up because I do continuous projects but I do have future employee coming in soon to help get my garage and shop in order, I am paying her well so she does not take one look and run away screaming. The last person whom I hired to help took one look and said he needed more people.

I am nearly finished with the amp I am building but in all honesty I did have help from Morgan Le Fay, I think it involved cat whiskers.

I rushed to get the AC jack and switch installed so Pietro did not scold me, I now need to mount the headphone jack and Alps pot, do some basic wiring and the amp is completed. I wanted to use individual alps pots but there is just no room, clearance for all parts is unbelievably tight..

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #32,111 of 153,470
She is family, the future employee is much taller and less furry. Morgan insists on helping me with projects.

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #32,113 of 153,470
Anyway the amp should be complete once I break for lunch. I wanted the volume pot and headphone jack equidistant on spacing but that means I will have to go with a couple axial electrolytics instead of radial or the quarter inch jack will not fit. Tolerances are pretty tight.

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #32,114 of 153,470
Someone should build the knob around the jack or the jack inside the knob.
Just for aesthetic fun and obnoxiousness.
About the latter....
I finally found a way to keep Constanza off the Yggdrasil with a piece of my late PS Audio PPP

YggdrasilFence.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #32,115 of 153,470
Keep Constanza off of Yggy??? Get real Pietro and come back in a day or two with pictures of how she has figured out how to work around this new obstacle. Cats are persistent, and WILL do as they please in spite of our best efforts otherwise. Or is that: TO spite out best efforts. :D

J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back