Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 26, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #30,871 of 150,107
Pietro
It pays to be careful and wear hearing protection but there is no beating time. I understand about IEMs but does that apply to headphones too?
No, for various reasons it doesn't.
There's a sticky in the Headphone full sized forum, that shows various decibel reading and the exposure time to them that can cause hearing damage. Looks like it does include headphones too, not just IEMs. https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/h...h-thread-a-diary-of-a-ear-health-noob.723464/

Mar 26, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #30,874 of 150,107
If I can make one serious suggestion about changing a component simply to improve it's looks, make the sys aluminum. It messes up my stack. I think most people buying it will have a stack and willl gladly pay $10 more dollars if that is necessary. It's not a $50 dollar component, it's an addition to my $600 stack.

Mar 26, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #30,875 of 150,107
If I can make one serious suggestion about changing a component simply to improve it's looks, make the sys aluminum. It messes up my stack. I think most people buying it will have a stack and willl gladly pay $10 more dollars if that is necessary. It's not a $50 dollar component, it's an addition to my $600 stack.

Schitt, I'd pay $10 for a replacement aluminum case for the SYS. And with no power in the SYS, anyone who knows how to turn a screwdriver could swap these without worry of shocking oneself.

Mar 26, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #30,877 of 150,107
As has been said often here and elsewhere regarding Schiit's constant product improvement, good things come to those who wait patiently.
I don't have any of those so I can't say, but what's the benefit from going to a Darkvoice and a Valhalla to a Lyr 3 besides the shrinkage? If consolidation is not your goal I agree get the amp Lyr3 section or wait and see if
@Jason Stoddard

The web page for the Lyr 3 spec states:

Gain: 7.5 (17.5db) or 1.5 (3.5db), via rear switch

But the manual states that the gain switch is on the front.

Thought you might like to know.

JC

Also on the site under

Guides

Choosing a Headamp

Lyr 2 is still listed

and under Choosing a DAC/amp

Lyr 3 is nowhere to be found

Mar 26, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #30,878 of 150,107
I don't have any of those so I can't say, but what's the benefit from going to a Darkvoice and a Valhalla to a Lyr 3 besides the shrinkage? If consolidation is not your goal I agree get the amp Lyr3 section or wait and see if

Also on the site under

Guides

Choosing a Headamp

Lyr 2 is still listed

and under Choosing a DAC/amp

Lyr 3 is nowhere to be found

Thanks for reminding me to fix this--fixed!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 26, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #30,883 of 150,107
If we're talking about Schiit wish-lists... I'd love to see a Freya with a modular slot that could take a headphone amp or one of the other cards already available. Add a DAC, phono pre, or headphone amp (Magni 3 on a card but using Freya's volume control?). I replaced my MJ2 with a Freya since I use speakers most of the time, but man I miss the MJ2 when I am using headphones and I don't have space in this system to have both.

-Mike

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #30,884 of 150,107
Since you're tinkering on your site. The link under Modi 2 to pop sci is broken. Replacement link below.

https://www.popsci.com/what-is-a-digital-to-analog-converter-and-do-you-need-one?
Since we are tuning up the site, how about fixing Loki specs:

Topology: fully discrete, all-bipolar, symmetrical current-feedback design with no capacitors in the signal path and DC servo...

Pretty sure you can't do a (several) high pass filter(s) very well without some capacitors in the signal path. And the gyrators have them also. Probably a cut and paste oops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back