Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 25, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #30,826 of 150,081
In some ways, it is form vs. function. Although that SOL is a prototype, the finished unit will not enclose the platter and hide the motor and belt in a nice piece of wood. But look at what you are getting!

A high mass aluminum platter and a carbon fiber tone arm that allows easy, almost instantaneous cartridge setup and adjustment of VTA. I too am a fan of old school. Slightly newer school than you but here is my keeper TT.
Denon DP-45F. A picture I grabbed off of the internet.

927535-vintage-denon-dp45f-turntable.jpg

My Dad has this exact same Denon turntable. Beautifully built table. He recently got it up and going again with a Nagoaka 110 cartridge and a Schiit Mani. We played the Analog Productions Ray Brown Trio Soular Energy 45 rpm lp. Really sounded excellent in his highly resolving system. He has had no interest in vinyl for a few decades now. However after hearing that recording in his system he now see the virtues. His Bryston DAC does sound good but I will admit that I have never heard his system sound as good as it did with that record.

Mar 25, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #30,827 of 150,081
A better Pic:
Thorens TD 165 (2).jpg

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #30,829 of 150,081
I totally agree with you.
That's totally great that you do that!!!
I thought you rotated 9 players in and out of your system!!!.
I love my pioneer pl510 1977.
I agree with you, the new ones do not interest me very much.

I would love to buy another vintage table that was refurbished...it's such a crap shoot though....I bought 3 vintage ones. The pioneer ended up being the gem. Also had a technical and dual that were TOTAL lemons.

QUOTE="OldRoadToad, post: 14127176, member: 49593"]Well, to be honest many of them are awaiting repair. I buy old 'tables and try to fix them up to give to people I meet or all ready know that express an interest in vinyl.
I prefer classic turntables over the (to me!) weird looking stuff.
566439-high_end_pioneer_pl570_turntable.jpg

I like this Pioneer.

walker-audio-procession-turntable1.jpg

I do not like this Audio Precision.

But then, I am old-fashioned in many ways. :L3000:

ORT[/QUOTE]

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #30,830 of 150,081
Posted a pic of my favorite old trusty 4002 a year or more back. Recently a solenoid started to cook so it's diasbled and the even easier for my wife to use 3404 was placed into service.
IMG_20180325_131038945~2.jpg
IMG_20180325_131136032~2.jpg

Mar 25, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #30,834 of 150,081
I wanted to try Schitt's multibit dacs and was able to spring for a Bifrost MB...my headphones are mostly Beyer T1's, T90's DT 1350's higher impedance and use a BH Crack but wanted
to try the Vahalla 2...it has more rms mw's for these higher impedance cans and so far is a great combination. Makes me smile alot.

Then along comes USB Gen 5 stuff..and the Bimby was easily upgraded....made me glad I bought a Bimby for this alone.

Even though the new Lyr 3 intrest me alot because of the lack of Gen 5 for whatever reason, it seems like a step back for me.

Yeah I know there is no room etc in the Lyr 3 for the MB and Gen 5? But Schitt you guys let the cat out the bag and when you advertise "hey get G5 usb and forget about cables etc....consider USB
complete and done..and add that all of our products have this new Gen 5 usb stuff....but now not so with the newer annouced products....

Not raining on the parade here, but a Lyr 3 with MB + Gen 5 and the new design would be the product I would spring for...

Alex

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #30,835 of 150,081
I wanted to try Schitt's multibit dacs and was able to spring for a Bifrost MB...my headphones are mostly Beyer T1's, T90's DT 1350's higher impedance and use a BH Crack but wanted
to try the Vahalla 2...it has more rms mw's for these higher impedance cans and so far is a great combination. Makes me smile alot.

Then along comes USB Gen 5 stuff..and the Bimby was easily upgraded....made me glad I bought a Bimby for this alone.

Even though the new Lyr 3 intrest me alot because of the lack of Gen 5 for whatever reason, it seems like a step back for me.

Yeah I know there is no room etc in the Lyr 3 for the MB and Gen 5? But Schitt you guys let the cat out the bag and when you advertise "hey get G5 usb and forget about cables etc....consider USB
complete and done..and add that all of our products have this new Gen 5 usb stuff....but now not so with the newer annouced products....

Not raining on the parade here, but a Lyr 3 with MB + Gen 5 and the new design would be the product I would spring for...

Alex

All good points. Not a knock on the Lyr 3 so much because one does not have to purchase an internal DAC for the Lyr 3. And it would be a great amp with no DAC. A Bimby with a Lyr 3 would be better than a Lyr 3 with internal Multibit IMHO due to separate power supplies, Gen 5, and potential future upgrades. I think getting the phonostage for the Lyr 3 and a Bimby would be a nice solution. Then you could do digital and analog on your Lyr 3.

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #30,836 of 150,081
you guys let the cat out the bag and when you advertise "hey get G5 usb and forget about cables etc....consider USB

Actually, Mike (@Baldr) was quite clear when Gen 5 was announced that it was too complex for the smaller/cheaper DACs. If you look at the Gen 5 board, you see easily the problem. But he also hinted that they were investigating a new homegrown USB receiver that would get some of those benefits in a smaller and cheaper package. As has been said often here and elsewhere regarding Schiit's constant product improvement, good things come to those who wait patiently.

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #30,837 of 150,081
12A01DF8-384E-4F90-A483-82370D7924AE.jpeg
Here’s mine. Technics SL-1210mkII, with a Linn LVX arm in place of the stock item. I’ve had various tables, including a couple of LP-12s, and this Technics is the most enjoyable to listen to.

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #30,838 of 150,081
I'll likely get a Lyr 3, probably next Autumn, [my Magni 3 is perfect for hotter weather]. Depending on if there are new daughter cards available, I might get one, but even the current cards at only $100 for DS, and $200 for multibit, seem like a very fair deal to me. As far as the current no Gen 5 USB, my current DAC doesn't have this, and sounds fine.

Even, if I decide to go with the Bimby as well, I'd probably still order the Lyr 3 with one of the cards just to listen to the difference, and also, so it could be a separate system, if I ever got a different amp to pair with the Bimby. Looking forward to more Lyr 3 sound impressions over the next few months.

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #30,839 of 150,081
2018, Chapter 5:
Where Do I Start?

Okay. So we now have a Lyr 3. And a Jotunheim. Both are great choices for the desktop. They’re a sane size, and they’re each a one-box solution. But when you’re staring at $599 for a Jotunheim with Multibit card, or $699 for Lyr 3 with Multibit, do you start wondering “is there a more affordable option?”

Specifically...something like a $249 Asgard 3, which could take the same modules and be a $449 product with the Multibit card.

Wait. Before you answer, consider:
  1. If we do an Asgard 3 like this, it won’t be a 100% class A amp like the original Asgard and Asgard 2.
  2. However, it will be a lot more powerful—think 3.5W RMS or so per channel.
  3. It will also have the Continuity output stage, so Class A is less, ah, meaningful than before. That is, if you believe our marketing blather.
And also consider: there will never be a Valhalla 3 like this.

So there’s no Valhalla 3 option. Just Asgard 3. At $249. A lot more powerful than the old Asgard. Not Class A (but pretty damn high bias, like Class A for 1/2W or so, and with the Continuity output stage on top of it.)

So, I’m asking you: does a product like this proposed Asgard 3 make sense?

Or not?

Why?

Your answers will help shape the future.

Yes, I think the proposed Asgard 3 makes sense. Here are three reasons why I think so.

Firstly, Asgard 3 as you have proposed would be an enhancement of Asgard 2. Asgard 2 has a 1W RMS per channel Class A output, while the proposed Asgard 3 would be like Class A for 1/2W or so, and beyond that with the Continuity output, up to about 3.5W RMS or so per channel. So the proposed Asgard 3 would not lose Asgard 2 Class A performance. In addition it would use the same DAC and Phone modules as Jotunheim and Lyr 3. Hence Asgard 2 plus enhancements equals to Asgard 3. All these enhancements at the same price as Asgard 2, which leads the the second reason.

Secondly, value. If there is something Schiit is known for, it's the amazing value of their products. The proposed Asgard 3 would cost the same as Asgard 2. That is an amazing value considering the enhancements it would have. Schiit has products at various price points. There is something for all budgets. Which leads to the third reason.

Thirdly, options. The proposed Asgard 3 would have the option of a singe box Amp/DAC if you want one at a lower price point to Jotunheim. Currently the least expensive Amp and Multibit DAC combo is Magni 3 and Modi 2 Multibit at $348. The next level up is Jotunheim with the Multibit DAC module at $599, after that is Lyr 3 with the Multibit DAC module at $699. There is significant gap between $348 and $599. The proposed Asgard 3 with the Multibit DAC module would fill the gap at $449. The proposed Asgard 3 could be like a hybrid of a single-ended Jotunheim (or a slightly more powerful Magni 3), a tubeless Lyr 3 and, Asgard's 2 Class A output up to 1/2W or so. I think this is a great option to have.

Thats why I think the proposed Asgard 3 makes sense. Great enhancements, value and options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back