Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 24, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #30,796 of 150,082

I have a Music Hall MMF5.1 that does everything I need it to. I got it used.

It sounded esp. fine after I read the manual and realized I needed to unbolt the plinth from traveling mode ;-D

Music hall was on my list...hmm.....but aren't music hall and rega about the same???
I really did not like the built of the rega, it did not impress me, so flimsy compared to my vintage pioneet....but maybe all new ones are. I just want a nice heavy new one.
It will be a ways out. I always do some pretty diligent long research, 18 mos or so.
I would say $500-800 range. $1000 tops!!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #30,797 of 150,082
i started thinking about Asgard 2 / Valhalla 2 + Bifrost mb, then Jotunheim MB, and now Lyr 3 MB shows up and my doubts increased.

I currently have the Bifrost MB, Asgard 2, and Valhalla 2. If I were to have a do-over, I would get the Jotunheim MB and save $600. Conventional wisdom says that you should pair a "dark" amp with "bright" headphones like your Grado's. A "dark" amp would be something Class-A or with tubes (generally speaking). That said, the conventional wisdom is vastly overrated and the Jotunheim will perform wonderfully. A friend of mine has a pair of Grado's paired with a Jotunheim and it sounds pretty darn good to my ears.

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #30,798 of 150,082
i have i think 9 turtables now. faveorite i is denon auitomatic but project is really cool looking. i am done for the night sorry.

2nd turntable will be my last purchase for a Loooonnnggg time, or I will be looking at living by myself lol.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #30,799 of 150,082
I appreciate any nuggets of knowledge for turntables..... I am definitely excited to hear the reviews of the SOL...
No worries here Jason stoddard....I will be pouring over those with a fine tooth comb.

I hope they go for something different....maybe pioneer heavy like, not rega light weight!

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #30,800 of 150,082
I currently have the Bifrost MB, Asgard 2, and Valhalla 2. If I were to have a do-over, I would get the Jotunheim MB and save $600. Conventional wisdom says that you should pair a "dark" amp with "bright" headphones like your Grado's. A "dark" amp would be something Class-A or with tubes (generally speaking). That said, the conventional wisdom is vastly overrated and the Jotunheim will perform wonderfully. A friend of mine has a pair of Grado's paired with a Jotunheim and it sounds pretty darn good to my ears.

you already tried grados in your system? better with Asgard or Valhalla?
i decided wait the last months for the mb dac module for the jotunheim, but now with the Lyr 3 mb i really dont know what to choose :/ between all options

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #30,801 of 150,082
Get one that is not audioquest branded and it will be 1/6 the price.

In this case it isn't one of those extravagant products. The Audioquest is $12.95 and 1/6 would be $2.16. You can save a bit, but it's hardly worth mentioning.

Parts Express has almost identical looking ones for $6.79 (black, red)

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #30,802 of 150,082
Try these guys. https://uturnaudio.com/pages/turntables

Same kind of made in the USA stuff as Schiit. Cheaper entry level than SOL is going to be. Right coast instead of left coast.

I have a Orbit custom coming on Tuesday I bought used; White with acrylic platter and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. Got a great deal on it. Excited to spin some vinyl on my first record player. Granted, I'm not a complete vinyl noob, I've spent plenty of time around other peoples vinyl rigs, but nothing really high end.

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #30,803 of 150,082
Hi @ScubaMan2017

Thanks for your reply.

Well right now my audio source is my Imac, and about the amp i dont have preference, can be all in one or not, if yes good, cause will save space, but if dont no problem.
i started thinking about Asgard 2 / Valhalla 2 + Bifrost mb, then Jotunheim MB, and now Lyr 3 MB shows up and my doubts increased.
Based in some reviews and opinions, looks like Jotunheim isnt the best option for Grado right?
what do you recomend, im a newbie and all the help is welcome!

thanks in advance

Pedro

Fyi don't expect anyone from schiit to comment on specific pairings it's no win for for them and completely subjective. Understand one thing if you go integrated if you ever think you might change dac or amp you have complicated matters. If you want to change dac you likely can't resell the add-on card. If you want a new amp you have to replace your dac.

That said I'm hugely intrigued by the lry3. I'm a fan of feed back and 6sn7. Having the option of rolling just one tube to tweak a headphone pairing would be a big factor for me.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #30,804 of 150,082

Apologies, my wording was a bit confusing. I've tried a pair of Grado's on my friend's Jotunheim. I haven't tried them on my system (Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2). I can say that I enjoyed listening to the Grados on the Jotunhein, but unfortunately I do not have a point of comparison between the amps.

Mar 25, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #30,806 of 150,082
i decided wait the last months for the mb dac module for the jotunheim, but now with the Lyr 3 mb i really dont know what to choose :/ between all options

Some extra thoughts for you on this. The Valhalla has a higher output impedance and does better with higher impedance headphones like the 300 ohm senns. The Asgard 2 has a low output impedance and is better for low impedance headphones like the Grados. The Grados are easy to drive so they will work with the Valhalla 2 but not optimal for that amp. Bear in mind that I have not heard Grados on the Valhalla 2 so just speaking some theory as I understand it. I have a pair of vintage Grado RS1s that I am currently listening to on my Asgard 2 being feed by a Bifrost Multibit. I am playing the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet New Renaissance album in high res. Just sound fantastic. I also have a Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD which is a legendary match with the Grado RS1s. While I agree that the Grado RS1s sound good with the Mapletree I prefer the Asgard 2 overall. The Asgard 2 sounds more detailed, open, and has better bass. Another thing I am expecting is an eventually upgrade to the Bifrost Multibit which will make my little Grado system sound even better. Also the Bifrost has better USB input that the Jotunheim multibit. I only use coax with my Bimby which the Jot multibit does not have.

My main system is a Ragnarok, Yggdrasil, and Senn HD800S. That is my best sounding system and it sounds sublime. That said I still like to listen to my Grado RS1s on my Asgard 2/Bimby system as a change of pace. And it is not a let down. I am even considering a second set of "e" series Grados to put with my Asgard/Bimby system. Trying to decide between RS2e, 325e, and GS1000e. And I will upgrade my Bimby in a heartbead when that comes out. With as easy to drive as the Grados are 1 watt of class A power into 32 Ohms is plenty. The extra wattage of the Jot or Lyr 3 is simply not needed. Just comes down to sound. So there is my recommendation, and Asgard 2 and Bimby for your Grados. And keep upgrading your Bimby over time.

Mar 25, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #30,807 of 150,082
Heard this hilarious podcast working out at the gym today, I couldn't resist the analogies to some of the more esoteric discussions in these fora, including objectivist vs subjectivist. Enjoy!

Mar 25, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #30,808 of 150,082
Music hall was on my list...hmm.....but aren't music hall and rega about the same???

Rega makes fine 'tables but I get the impression that 1/2 the price is the name. Doing a bit of googling says that Regas are finickier to set up and Music Halls are more turnkey. And Roy Hall is more of a character than anyone on the Rega side :)

My MMF5.1 has been trouble free since I got it used some 2y ago. Before than I had a '72 Sansui that made frightening noises like it was about to die so I traded it in for the MMF. Love the cueing lever as my hands aren't all that study anymore. Too much drink? Too little drink? @Ableza what do you think?

I am using a cork pad but I much prefer how the glass platter looks. My cartridge is an Ortofon 2M Blue and phono is a Thorens MM 008 which has USB out. I've used it to digitize a handful of albums. I haven't done more because I want to measure the output of the Thorens to see if I need to EQ it more. But I have no idea how to go about such a thing.

How does one measure the flatness of a phono stage in terms of RIAA EQ?

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #30,809 of 150,082
I have a Orbit custom coming on Tuesday I bought used; White with acrylic platter and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. Got a great deal on it. Excited to spin some vinyl on my first record player. Granted, I'm not a complete vinyl noob, I've spent plenty of time around other peoples vinyl rigs, but nothing really high end.
Frank,

You are going to have a lot of fun with that rig. Me? I am an old guy. LP's and 45's are where I started. Please follow up with your impressions.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #30,810 of 150,082

Rega makes fine 'tables but I get the impression that 1/2 the price is the name. Doing a bit of googling says that Regas are finickier to set up and Music Halls are more turnkey. And Roy Hall is more of a character than anyone on the Rega side :)

On the low end, RP1, you're not paying 1/2 the price for the name, you are paying it for the arm, and I think it's more a case of Rega owners being finickier about their turntable set up.
Rega's Roy Gandy has character, rather than being a character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back