Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 4, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #28,951 of 150,563
Dear Jason and Co,

After having Freya for some time, I would like to share my thoughts and wish list for the V.2. Mostly wish list J

- Having 3 outputs is great.

o Having one more would be great;

- Having 5 input is great.

o I could use one more each balanced and unbalanced;

- Wish there was a solid state option instead of tubes;

- From my listening chair, it is impossible to tell which input is ON;

o Would be great to have some sort of indication which input is selected;

o The select button only pics inputs from left to right. Would be great to be able to move in both directions. For example, to compare input 1 and input 5, four clicks is needed, while 5 to 1 just one click;

- Remote is too small;

o Would be great to make the remote larger, with bigger, better, more clearly labeled buttons;

§ Would be even better to have an indication of which input is selected right there, on the remote;

- There is no way to tell in which position the volume is;

o Would be helpful to have some indication, at least big, readable mark on the volume button itself.

- Would be nice to have a rack-mounted option, or kit that would allow for rack mounting.

- Lastly, I would gladly pay double for such Freya v.2! Even if the power switch is still on the back!

Sign me up! I like the design. Maybe getting rid of the 19th century lightbulbs (heaters?) will compensate for some of the additional cost of added inputs and outputs, a nice remote, and some way to tell what the settings are.

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #28,954 of 150,563
Dear Jason and Co,

After having Freya for some time, I would like to share my thoughts and wish list for the V.2. Mostly wish list J

- Having 3 outputs is great.

o Having one more would be great;

- Having 5 input is great.

o I could use one more each balanced and unbalanced;

- Wish there was a solid state option instead of tubes;

- From my listening chair, it is impossible to tell which input is ON;

o Would be great to have some sort of indication which input is selected;

o The select button only pics inputs from left to right. Would be great to be able to move in both directions. For example, to compare input 1 and input 5, four clicks is needed, while 5 to 1 just one click;

- Remote is too small;

o Would be great to make the remote larger, with bigger, better, more clearly labeled buttons;

§ Would be even better to have an indication of which input is selected right there, on the remote;

- There is no way to tell in which position the volume is;

o Would be helpful to have some indication, at least big, readable mark on the volume button itself.

- Would be nice to have a rack-mounted option, or kit that would allow for rack mounting.

- Lastly, I would gladly pay double for such Freya v.2! Even if the power switch is still on the back!

- Wish there was a solid state option instead of tubes; -> Passive, JFET and tubes. What is JFET not solid state?
- From my listening chair, it is impossible to tell which input is ON; -> Don't you remember what you selected? Do you need to look to know?
o Would be great to have some sort of indication which input is selected; -> There are 4 WHITE LED's to indicate the selected input.
- There is no way to tell in which position the volume is; -> Your ears can tell you perfectly
o Would be helpful to have some indication, at least big, readable mark on the volume button itself.-> This forum already put up with a lot of ideas about how to solve this
- Would be nice to have a rack-mounted option, or kit that would allow for rack mounting. -> Ask for @Pietro Cozzi Tinin to lend you his Makita

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #28,955 of 150,563
Many college radio stations are but then they don't have much of a paid staff or a budget. We had an FM and an AM transmitter that were donated by a local station when they bought new ones. But I spun nothing but 33/1/3 vinyl on a surplus turntable whose make I can no longer remember. We were bad.

My station was CJSW 90.9 (CJSW.com these days) and it regularly won awards and best-ofs.

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #28,956 of 150,563
KEBS-FM at 89.5 "where FM means fine music". The first radio station licensed to a California campus (San Diego State) but apparently now defunct. KCR-AM 1610 replaced it in 1969. Good in its day but that was long long ago. We didn't have a single piece of Schiit either.

Feb 5, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #28,957 of 150,563
It's a Renaissance Man's Makita indeed.
I'm now pilfering the pile for parts.
The new one will have a small enclosure, no lcd screen, no operating system and will be named the Constanza II.

Don't expect any support from Toad.....

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #28,959 of 150,563
People have been bridging amps in 2-channel and multi-channel speaker systems for quite a while. I take a bridged amp running one channel to be a mono block. See for example https://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/car-audio-and-video/car-amplifiers/how-to-bridge-an-amplifier/
I'm not a EE, correct me if I am wrong. One could define mono-block as only an amp that has the components necessary for a single channel and thus exclude bridged amps. I see that but we were talking about using 2 stereo head-amps in L-R configuration to drive a set of cans. Schiit's Vidar is being called a mono block but it has two channels.

And yes, it has been done before as @rkw points out.
This is more than about amps being monoblock. The topic that was brought up involved taking a balanced output from a DAC, and maintaining a balanced signal to the headphone by using two stereo SE amps. With a balanced signal, you need two amps per channel, to drive the lines in differential mode. This can be achieved with a stereo amp for each channel by rigging up cabling, but I haven't seen people talk of actually doing it. I don't think it would be described as bridging the amp. It would have differential lines coming in and amplified differential lines going out.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #28,961 of 150,563
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back