Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 27, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #27,736 of 150,424
I have a 20yo Sony receiver that I use for various things. Durability-wise it's been a champ. It's an STR-DE475.

I have an STR-DE975 that worked for 12 years before the surround channels started to fail. It still works great in 2-channel mode even though its now 19 years old.

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #27,738 of 150,424
On the subject of HT bypass. If you are going to do it, do it right. It should be a physical switch on the front panel that connects the input from the AVR to the output of the preamp even when the preamp is off. Anything other than this is less convenient than simply using an external switch. Hell, just make a switchbox and slap a cute Norse name on it.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #27,739 of 150,424

Well, I have had it set up for two weeks now and it has settled in nicely. Although Vidar appears to not quite have the sense of space of the Pass X150, it easily bests it in bass control and lack of distortion at high volumes. In fact, I put Vidar into protection mode while playing Kodo's Oki Age. At first, I was disappointed that it didn't get that loud, but when I pulled out the dB meter, it read 115!

What I took for lack of Volume was actually lack of distortion. The fact that I have to compare Vidar and Feya to an amp/preamp costing more than 5X the price speaks very well of it. It is not just a great value, it is a great setup in its own right.

@USBlues, I know that we had discussed the relative merits of NOS vs new Tung-Sol tubes, but after spending time with both in my system, I find that the vintage RCAs give a better sense of space. I think you may agree, despite both of our feelings about jumping in the NOS rabbit hole.
Awesome.
:L3000:
Go ahead, jump down the rabbit hole. If you move stuff around, move to a different room or house you will have a rabbit hole collection available for your sonic palette. Plus the rabbit hole is dwindling.

This reply is in no way responsible for what happens to your wallet or family relationships and is intended purely for the entertainment of this thread!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #27,740 of 150,424
Great set-up. 115dB is a bit excessive but I'll bet it sounds great. I also like the stand or rack. Who makes it and where can I get one? I can't quite read the label.

Please don't think that I listen to such high volumes. I just wanted Vidar to stretch his legs.

The rack is a Sound Organisation unit. They are made in England. I got it on clearance when the dealer stopped carrying them. If you can find them in the US, please let me know, I would like to get one for my father.

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #27,741 of 150,424
In my experience, Onkyo = Junkyo. I had one of their receivers a couple years back, it died one month after the 2-year warranty expired. Also Junkyo now owns Pioneer.

A couple of months ago I helped my brother to choose a 5.1 receiver (since I'm the "savvy" member of the family when it comes to technology). I ended with 3 alternatives: Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon. But almost immediately I scratched the Onkyo after reading a good amount of negative reviews about units dying in less than a year. It seems the QC at Onkyo dropped substantially in the last years.

We wanted the Yamaha due to all the positive reviews regarding how great it was for both movies & music, sadly it was sold out in pretty much every store here in Chile, so at the end the chosen one was the Denon.

So far so good, it sounds great paired with a set of 5.1 Kef speakers (the subwoofer really kicks you in the chest :D)

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #27,742 of 150,424
Dec 27, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #27,743 of 150,424
A couple of months ago I helped my brother to choose a 5.1 receiver (since I'm the "savvy" member of the family when it comes to technology). I ended with 3 alternatives: Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon. But almost immediately I scratched the Onkyo after reading a good amount of negative reviews about units dying in less than a year. It seems the QC at Onkyo dropped substantially in the last years.

We wanted the Yamaha due to all the positive reviews regarding how great it was for both movies & music, sadly it was sold out in pretty much every store here in Chile, so at the end the chosen one was the Denon.

So far so good, it sounds great paired with a set of 5.1 Kef speakers (the subwoofer really kicks you in the chest :D)
Seems like Onkyo's quality must have declined in recent years, as you write.
My parents had Onkyo gear - receiver, CD player - for years and it was decent equipment.
I've no personal experience with Denon, but have heard a lot of good comments (including today).

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #27,744 of 150,424
When I worked in Car Audio we used to say "Friends don't let friends buy Sony." In Home Theater, I'd replace that brand with Onkyo. But since I don't like to bash bands, I will reiterate my earlier recommendation and that of several others here to look at Yamaha for a good sub-$1K receiver.

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #27,745 of 150,424

Well, I have had it set up for two weeks now and it has settled in nicely. Although Vidar appears to not quite have the sense of space of the Pass X150, it easily bests it in bass control and lack of distortion at high volumes. In fact, I put Vidar into protection mode while playing Kodo's Oki Age. At first, I was disappointed that it didn't get that loud, but when I pulled out the dB meter, it read 115!

What I took for lack of Volume was actually lack of distortion. The fact that I have to compare Vidar and Feya to an amp/preamp costing more than 5X the price speaks very well of it. It is not just a great value, it is a great setup in its own right.

@USBlues, I know that we had discussed the relative merits of NOS vs new Tung-Sol tubes, but after spending time with both in my system, I find that the vintage RCAs give a better sense of space. I think you may agree, despite both of our feelings about jumping in the NOS rabbit hole.

Very nice system, congrats! Yes, Vidar's get effortlessly loud, and they sound just dandy.

Personally, I am avoiding rabbit holes for the present time, thank you. I am sure there are rewards in the NOS game, I just can't go there. Right now.

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #27,746 of 150,424
My father has had the same Onkyo receiver for 15 years and it's still going strong. Of course, most old brands don't make stuff like they used to.

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #27,747 of 150,424

What I took for lack of Volume was actually lack of distortion.

+1

That's exactly what I found when I drove my single Vidar to thermal protection. Absolute clarity at very high levels, so much so that I didn't realise it was so loud.
Impressed, I am.

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #27,748 of 150,424
My father has had the same Onkyo receiver for 15 years and it's still going strong. Of course, most old brands don't make stuff like they used to.

Most old brands don't even make stuff where they used to. Just sayin'.

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #27,750 of 150,424
Very nice system, congrats! Yes, Vidar's get effortlessly loud, and they sound just dandy.

Personally, I am avoiding rabbit holes for the present time, thank you. I am sure there are rewards in the NOS game, I just can't go there. Right now.
DOn't go there, get solid state..... Your wallet will LOVE you...:ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back