Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 28, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #25,966 of 150,427
So I'm confused about what gain means.... both Saga and Lyr2 on lo gain list a gain of 1, but to get the same volume level, I am using 10-11 o'clock on Lyr2 vs 2 o'clock on Saga. The cables here are less than 2 feet to Vidar in either case. Why the discrepancy? This volume difference appears to hold throughout the range of both preamps

Do you mean HI (vs LO) gain on the Lyr 2 as opposed to 1? The Lyr 2 has a gain switch but the Saga does not to my knowledge. According to the manuals, Saga has a fixed gain of 1 (0 db) and the Lyr 2 is Hi = 10 (20db) or Lo = 1.5 (3.5db). I take that to be relative to the input signal, which to me means the Lyr 2's output could be louder in general but that has a lot to do with the range of attenuation controllable by the volume knob. I'm not sure you can compare the two devices in this way. Maybe ask Jason...

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #25,967 of 150,427
Do you mean HI (vs LO) gain on the Lyr 2 as opposed to 1? The Lyr 2 has a gain switch but the Saga does not to my knowledge. According to the manuals, Saga has a fixed gain of 1 (0 db) and the Lyr 2 is Hi = 10 (20db) or Lo = 1.5 (3.5db). I take that to be relative to the input signal, which to me means the Lyr 2's output could be louder in general but that has a lot to do with the range of attenuation controllable by the volume knob. I'm not sure you can compare the two devices in this way. Maybe ask Jason...
Ah, I was looking at the specs page for Lyr 2 which said gain of 0dB for lo gain. But if the manual says 3.5 dB, that would explain why it's louder across the volume range than the Saga.

I just need to upgrade my old KLH speakers to some RP-280F. That would take care of any situations where I want more volume. Of course I told myself I have to either drop 3 minutes off my 5k time or run a marathon before I get to buy those...

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #25,968 of 150,427
Can anyone recommend a good Toslink switch with four inputs?

I’ve been poking around monoprice and amazon and am looking for experienced opinions.

TIA.

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #25,970 of 150,427
Oct 29, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #25,973 of 150,427
Who here still listens to a Vali 1?

My home head-fi setup (Dragonfly 1.2 - Vali 1 - HD 600) hadn't seen much of me in a while, but with my wife sleeping and my daughter doing homework I'm giving the speakers a rest tonight.
I still listen to an original Asgard at home; my setup is OptiModi > Asgard > HD 600. Looking to go multibit soon.

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #25,974 of 150,427
I still listen to an original Asgard at home; my setup is OptiModi > Asgard > HD 600. Looking to go multibit soon.
You will love the MB technology.
It was a significant upgrade to my listening experience (Gungnir --> GMB).

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #25,975 of 150,427
Who here still listens to a Vali 1?

My home head-fi setup (Dragonfly 1.2 - Vali 1 - HD 600) hadn't seen much of me in a while, but with my wife sleeping and my daughter doing homework I'm giving the speakers a rest tonight. I'd forgotten how good this setup sounds - so natural.
Me me! Love the Vali 1. It rings a little at turn on, but not at all after that.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #25,976 of 150,427
Any Stax009 folks out there?

My Audio Nervosa was COMPLETELY in recovery...until RCB just happened to mention that I might like the Sennheiser HD800 in my system.

So now that an 800Schiit hangs next to my LCD-X, I’m scratching myself raw like a meth addict thinking about what’s next headphone-wise.

And then my new TAS shows up. Kudos to Schiit for the Jot and Rag plugs, but bummed that Yggy was slighted. Maybe they didn’t want to swell your guys’ heads with 3 mighty recs.

Well I’ve got one of each and all are stellar. So I keep reading. And when I get to the Stax and BHSE writeups, I start scratching all over the place. 10 Grand to do it right. What. The Nervosa goes into overdrive.

So I need to hear it from the horse’s mouth- are these guys that awesome paired with Schiit gear to make it worth me even remotely consider a setup if somehow someday I stumble onto a pile of dough?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #25,977 of 150,427
Ah, I was looking at the specs page for Lyr 2 which said gain of 0dB for lo gain. But if the manual says 3.5 dB, that would explain why it's louder across the volume range than the Saga.

I just need to upgrade my old KLH speakers to some RP-280F. That would take care of any situations where I want more volume. Of course I told myself I have to either drop 3 minutes off my 5k time or run a marathon before I get to buy those...

FYI, I ran the RP-280s with my amp cut to ~ half power by switching to KT77s instead of the KT120s. Even with the reduced output, my ears cried uncle long before I could reach the 3 o'clock position on the volume.

I did have one RP280 come with a defective LF driver, and another with some lifting edge on the rubberized horn.

For $800 they're a good buy despite the imperfections.

They sound great (in that fun colorful Klipsch fashion) with my Schiit Saga and Schiit Mani. I'm happy, but definitely wouldn't pay full retail for them ... especially after the issues I went through with. However, I wouldn't have gone with anything else at the price I paid ... they're just too fun for < $1K !

Edit: I only found the defect by playing 35 - 50hz test files ... I would have never noticed otherwise. I'm glad I was obsessively testing placement for bass response!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #25,978 of 150,427
IMG-20170820-WA0002.jpg

My Audio Nervosa was COMPLETELY in recovery...until RCB just happened to mention that I might like the Sennheiser HD800 in my system.

So now that an 800Schiit hangs next to my LCD-X, I’m scratching myself raw like a meth addict thinking about what’s next headphone-wise.

And then my new TAS shows up. Kudos to Schiit for the Jot and Rag plugs, but bummed that Yggy was slighted. Maybe they didn’t want to swell your guys’ heads with 3 mighty recs.

Well I’ve got one of each and both are stellar. So I keep reading. And when I get to the Stax and BHSE writeups, I start scratching all over the place. 10 Grand to do it right. What. The Nervosa goes into overdrive.

So I need to hear it from the horse’s mouth- are these guys that awesome paired with Schiit gear to make it worth me even remotely consider a setup if somehow someday I stumble onto a pile of dough?
On my trip to Japan, I listened to the Stax 009 via a their tube amp at Labi electronics(thank you @Ableza). I was surprised how close the sound was to the 800 and Valhalla 2 pairing that I already owned. My recommendation is to scratch the itch with a Valhalla 2.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #25,979 of 150,427

Well I’ve got one of each and both are stellar. So I keep reading. And when I get to the Stax and BHSE writeups, I start scratching all over the place. 10 Grand to do it right. What. The Nervosa goes into overdrive.

Like you I have both HD800 and the LCD-X.
I still wonder why I bought the latter.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #25,980 of 150,427
Over the years I've found that while headphone sound quality is absolutely a necessity, almost more so is comfort.

I started with HD 558 and pretty much overnight fell in love with Sennheiser's comfort and lightweight design.
My second headphone was the original HE-400 and while I loved the detail and bass, they were big and heavy and I just couldn't forget I had them on, ever.
Then I got the HD 600 and they had all the detail I was looking for and were just as comfortable as the HD 558, I probably used them more in the first month than I used the HE-400 in a year!

Weight isn't everything but it's a big factor for me, and the LCD-X is like wearing TWO Sennheisers at the same time!

HD 558 - 260g
HD 600 - 260g
HD 800 - 330g

HE-400 - 440g
HE-400i - 370g

LCD-X - 612g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back