Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 29, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #25,156 of 150,704
I can afford the Yggy if I wanted to spend that much on a DAC. I own a Mimby. I listen to music and it sounds great. I don't spend any time at all wondering if I am missing some magic from a pricier DAC. As far as deep bass, this is a line level device. It supplies minimal current to the amplifer regardless of frequency. Neither has a rolloff in the deep bass. I don't see how the bass performance is going to be much different.

That is very good that you are content with the Mimby. I am the same way with the Bimby vs. better DACs as I just enjoy what I have. Some love their phone DAC and think a Mimby is not worth it. And while the Yggy is not a better value it is a much better DAC than the Mimby or the Bimby with significantly better bass and everything else. Some do not think that kind of improvement is worth it and there is nothing wrong with that. However I sure think it is worth it. I can't wait to get a Yggy if I get a chance to. I am pretty confident I will appreciate the improvement.

Sep 29, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #25,157 of 150,704
Then what does this text, in the first sentence below, from the Freya manual mean?:

Note: Freya does not convert single-ended to balanced, except when using the tube gain stage. Note2: Don’t panic—all of Freya’s outputs work fine with all of its inputs, you’ll get output from all of them with any input type.

It means that in passive and JFET modes, if you select a SE input, a SE signal will be present on all outputs, including the XLR one...
When the tube mode is enabled, the signal will be converted to balanced on the XLR outputs.

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #25,160 of 150,704
I've been using Freya with balanced input and tubes removed for the last 2 months on 24/7. Barely warm, and all outputs work.

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #25,161 of 150,704
I've been using Freya with balanced input and tubes removed for the last 2 months on 24/7. Barely warm, and all outputs work.
Freya and Saga both work fine with no tubes, but of course you're not going to get much output in tube mode :wink:

Oh and don't pull the tubes when the thing is powered up for heavens sake.

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #25,162 of 150,704
I really don't know lol. I can tell you though it works (SE in, XLR out) through Passive, JFET and Tube gain.

Well that's interesting - So what is Vidar getting then when you're in JFET or passive mode...what does it do with the unbalanced signal?

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #25,163 of 150,704
There's certainly some misunderstanding here between the manual and what @Jason Stoddard said earlier this afternoon. I tend to believe the guy who designed the pre-amp more than I believe the manual. In any case Jason assures us that with SE input there is output on the XLR or balanced outputs. Whatever signal comes out of those outputs is if nothing else, balanced by virtue of having 2 signal leads and a separate ground on the XLR jack and cable.

I gotta say for the millionth time here on Head-Fi, SE and balanced carry the same signal and should sound the same unless the two outputs are designed in a way that allows one output to be inferior to the other. Voltage and gain can be different between SE and balanced outputs but that that doesn't necessarily mean one or the other sounds worse.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #25,166 of 150,704
And now for some thing completely toadish...

Yamaha-A-S2100-integrated-amplifier.jpg

Simple. Elegant. Simply elegant. The answer to how to turn a Schiit amp (and that is a good thing) in to some thing I would find attractive. All that meat (i.e., power) and no potatoes now has potatoes (VU Meters). It is even Schiitish in colour (note the cool British spelling...Classy, huh?).

For those that feeeeeeeeeeel I am off topic, I say, "Meh!" and cry foul craven! I think, not feeeeeeeeeel that Schiit equipment is the sonic and technical equal of a great many lofty brands but this is pretty much what I am looking for in an integrated amp. Well, actually it is a close, very close, second to this...

accuphase_e-305v_integrated_amplifier.jpg

If some here decry either one as "ugly" that does not butt hurt my feeeewings in the least. I fell in like ("love" is reserved for family and friends, not inanimate objects) with this style in the early 70s and with good reason. It put the "fun" in "functional". I have my modern receivers, both stereo and AV. A new Denon AVR-X4300H, an Onkyo TX-NR818 for the AV side and a Pioneer Elite SX-N30 for the 2.1 side. My vintage unit is a Sony STR6800DS...

sony.STR-6800.SD.02.jpg

To own a piece of Schiit is a lofty goal, I know. I like knobs, VU Meters, an up front power switch and PLLs (Pretty Little Lights!). I like vintage class! I like what I like and if Schiit does not care to make it, no big deal but it NEVER hurts to ask. Again and again and again and again...

You should start a company. Build full size boxes that have the meters, knobs, switches and styling you crave. Make them hollow inside so a person can place their favorite Schiit component in it. I could see wooden side panels like my Pioneer Elite.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #25,168 of 150,704
You should start a company. Build full size boxes that have the meters, knobs, switches and styling you crave. Make them hollow inside so a person can place their favorite Schiit component in it. I could see wooden side panels like my Pioneer Elite.
knobs must go up to 12 too, 11 is getting ole fashion now.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #25,169 of 150,704
And now for some thing completely toadish...

Yamaha-A-S2100-integrated-amplifier.jpg

Simple. Elegant. Simply elegant. The answer to how to turn a Schiit amp (and that is a good thing) in to some thing I would find attractive. All that meat (i.e., power) and no potatoes now has potatoes (VU Meters). It is even Schiitish in colour (note the cool British spelling...Classy, huh?).

For those that feeeeeeeeeeel I am off topic, I say, "Meh!" and cry foul craven! I think, not feeeeeeeeeel that Schiit equipment is the sonic and technical equal of a great many lofty brands but this is pretty much what I am looking for in an integrated amp. Well, actually it is a close, very close, second to this...

accuphase_e-305v_integrated_amplifier.jpg

If some here decry either one as "ugly" that does not butt hurt my feeeewings in the least. I fell in like ("love" is reserved for family and friends, not inanimate objects) with this style in the early 70s and with good reason. It put the "fun" in "functional". I have my modern receivers, both stereo and AV. A new Denon AVR-X4300H, an Onkyo TX-NR818 for the AV side and a Pioneer Elite SX-N30 for the 2.1 side. My vintage unit is a Sony STR6800DS...

sony.STR-6800.SD.02.jpg

To own a piece of Schiit is a lofty goal, I know. I like knobs, VU Meters, an up front power switch and PLLs (Pretty Little Lights!). I like vintage class! I like what I like and if Schiit does not care to make it, no big deal but it NEVER hurts to ask. Again and again and again and again...

Seriously?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back