Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 20, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #24,526 of 150,704
Yo Pietro!
Good tip on the JKE-hifi cables! Mille Gracie!
They look and feel really solid and well-made without being flashy and in your face about it.I like it.
And I didn`t have to curse heaven and earth making them myself.
Which would cost about the same I guess.
(Considering I would ruin at least one cables worth of material. At least. I suck at repetitive chores)
Nah...thanks.Good tip my man.

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #24,527 of 150,704
all greatness here! One question: Is it fair to assume that Modi 3 will support MQA?

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #24,532 of 150,704
all greatness here! One question: Is it fair to assume that Modi 3 will support MQA?

upload_2017-9-20_9-25-11.png

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #24,534 of 150,704
I assume that my MQA ask was fair...... I was going to ask for solar power as well, but I was afraid that some of you might find it unfair and over the top. But, since the VU meters that you suggest are on the cycle plan, then yes, solar panels please. and a Tesla wireless adapter.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #24,536 of 150,704
I added columns for price, crosstalk, and output impedance. I also used Way Back Machine to get the specs from the older versions, they really have put out a lot of products over the years!

KGp1e8O.jpg

Here's the spreadsheet if you guys want to tweak it or add your own amps for comparison, I hid all the rows for past products to make it easier to look at, just "unhide all" if you want to see everything from the beginning:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4lpa_zoQltaX1ZEUkQ5NkRJUmM
Oh noes! I have to deliver my Ragnarok back after reading this chart, its upper range peaks at 110kHz. that's only 3 times over the audible range of humans. Cant use it to play music to my bottlenosed dolphin if i ever decide to get one.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #24,537 of 150,704
I assume that my MQA ask was fair...... I was going to ask for solar power as well, but I was afraid that some of you might find it unfair and over the top. But, since the VU meters that you suggest are on the cycle plan, then yes, solar panels please. and a Tesla wireless adapter.
Modi 3?
never heard about a new DAC. Schiit Released a Magni 3 Amp some days ago though =P
as for MQA, is there any difference between software decoding vs hardware decoding it? Tidal software decodes their master MQA files and they play great so i don't know what the fuss is about.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #24,538 of 150,704
Modi 3?
never heard about a new DAC. Schiit Released a Magni 3 Amp some days ago though =P
as for MQA, is there any difference between software decoding vs hardware decoding it? Tidal software decodes their master MQA files and they play great so i don't know what the fuss is about.
There is a 1500 to 2000 euro difference :)
Archimago did all kinds of measurements on the differences between MQA an non MQA and, if I remember correctly, he also compared software vs hardware decoding.
Look for Archimago`s musings and ye shall find.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #24,539 of 150,704
Modi 3?

This is true. My Dad plays Tital (Hi Fi) from his PC laptop through his non MQA Bryston DAC and the MQA versions sound better than the regular digital versions. He even said that his 96hz hi rez light comes on with several of the MQA files from Tidal. This would indicate that the files are being unlocked or uncompressed by Tidal before being sent to the DAC.

I spoke with a Bluesound rep about their MQA certified Node 2 streamer/DAC. They said that customers with high end non MQA DACs are getting better sound quality with MQA files than the MQA certified DAC in the Node 2. They just use the Node 2 as a digital transport to send MQA to their non MQA DACs. Lots of people including Hi Fi magazines either do no know this or do not bother to educate people about this. You do not need a MQA DAC to experience the benefits of MQA. You just need a transport that does MQA.

By the way me and my Dad have been using a NAD Dac 2 to transfer files from JRiver on our laptops to our DACs. You plug a little wireless transmitter into one of your Laptop's USB ports and it transmits to a little box by your DAC that sends the digital by coax to your DAC. We have found that this sounds great and eliminates the need to run a long USB cable from your laptop to your DAC.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #24,540 of 150,704
Quick story about the new remote:

One of the things I'm doing this year is going through the products and making little tweaks, based on what we've learned by making several thousands of them. Most of these tweaks are relatively invisible, and are things like the Magni 3's stamped chassis. Some are more visible, like the Modi 2's aluminum top. Most are related to quality. This is no different than what any other smart manufacturer does over time, making changes to improve the product or the way it's made.

During the course of this process, one product stood out: the Saga/Freya remote. Sure, it was serviceable. Sure, it was reliable. Sure, it was made for us (overseas) by a reliable remote supplier (based in the USA). But it was a bit ass-y. As in, it looked and felt like ass.

So, I began wondering: what if we made our own remote? As in, what if we went ahead, tooled up, and did a real die-cast remote. I mean, after the tooling costs, we couldn't be looking at an absolute fortune, right?

In short, no. But the cost of tooling was such that we'd need to make ten thousand or so remotes in order to make the pain go away. Which, in the long run, was still fine.

But...

...but, in the process of looking into the die casting process, I found a reputable company already making aluminum remotes for audio gear...remotes that looked pretty good. They even had a neat magnetic-assembly trick for getting to the battery. So I figured, might as well contact them and get a quote. I drew up a quick sketch of our remote, based on their form factor, and asked if they could customize their product to fit our needs, and what the cost would be.

Long story short, they got back to me quickly, with a quote that was no more than the ass-y plastic remote we were already using!

Yes, that's right. No more money. Much better remote. No tooling cost.

Huh?

What was the catch? I decided to place an order and see if there was some kind of gotcha. The company sent along a sample for approval, which worked fine, and we received the first shipment in exactly the time they quoted, and they worked fine, too. So now we have new remotes...better remotes...for the same price as the old ones. Still made overseas, yep, but that's no different than the plastic ones. And I bet everyone likes the new aluminum ones better!

Genius!

I will order a new remote soon ... and I was in the camp of people who said "NO! Don't bother with an expensive remote." I never considered you could produce a nicer remote without raising the purchase price.

Genius!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back