Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 19, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #24,496 of 151,233
Wow looks really nice!

ibaAied.jpg

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #24,497 of 151,233
They haven't updated the site yet, but I heard some noise about this over on another forum, and then verified with Schiit via email. Apparently all new Freyas are shipping out with this new remote as of late August, and anyone who buys the replacement remote ($18), will get the upgraded aluminum one [I got mine last week].

Here's a picture of it from that other source (since I'm not at home and can't take a picture of mine now):
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/mLtyVDNrVDZfTF7XH1SBQvtm6fKtasv6oOYqKHqLBtb?tag=viglink121798-20

The top portion of it looks very similar, but the buttons have much nicer haptic feedback (i.e., "click") when you press them than the cheap black plastic one. Feels much more solid and is nicer to use.

EDIT: I hope i'm not screwing up their Schiit by posting this... I assumed they haven't updated the site with the new remote picture because it hasn't really been a priority (with three new product releases in the works), but I suppose it also could be that quantities are low at the moment.

OK ... so you're saying if I order the $18 remote ... I'll get that lovely beauty from the photo!?!?! YES PLEASE!

My Rogue Cronus Magnum remote is like $150 ... STUPID expensive ... I would have paid $50 for an aluminum Schiit remote ... $18 is great!

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #24,498 of 151,233
They haven't updated the site yet, but I heard some noise about this over on another forum, and then verified with Schiit via email. Apparently all new Freyas are shipping out with this new remote as of late August, and anyone who buys the replacement remote ($18), will get the upgraded aluminum one [I got mine last week].

Here's a picture of it from that other source (since I'm not at home and can't take a picture of mine now):
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/mLtyVDNrVDZfTF7XH1SBQvtm6fKtasv6oOYqKHqLBtb?tag=viglink121798-20

The top portion of it looks very similar, but the buttons have much nicer haptic feedback (i.e., "click") when you press them than the cheap black plastic one. Feels much more solid and is nicer to use.

EDIT: I hope i'm not screwing up their Schiit by posting this... I assumed they haven't updated the site with the new remote picture because it hasn't really been a priority (with three new product releases in the works), but I suppose it also could be that quantities are low at the moment.

Yep got mine yesterday when I ordered Eitr plus a replacement remote. Here's a couple pics ( sorry for the low light shots):

20170919_213614.jpg
20170919_213628.jpg

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #24,499 of 151,233
OK ... so you're saying if I order the $18 remote ... I'll get that lovely beauty from the photo!?!?! YES PLEASE!

My Rogue Cronus Magnum remote is like $150 ... STUPID expensive ... I would have paid $50 for an aluminum Schiit remote ... $18 is great!

Yep, that's what you'll get. That's exactly what I did. :)

And yeah, I totally agree -- I thought if they released an upgraded remote, it might have come at a higher price point... but leave it to Schiit to break the mold, as usual!!

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #24,500 of 151,233
Yep, that's what you'll get. That's exactly what I did. :)

And yeah, I totally agree -- I thought if they released an upgraded remote, it might have come at a higher price point... but leave it to Schiit to break the mold, as usual!!

Hahaha ... I don't expect you to try this ... but the question now is will pass the wash test? I ran my Saga remote through the laundry ... it took 48 hours and a new battery to start functioning again ... but it's a little squirrely now. I think I'll be picking up the new remote soon! Thanks for the hot tip!!!

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #24,501 of 151,233
Hahaha ... I don't expect you to try this ... but the question now is will pass the wash test? I ran my Saga remote through the laundry ... it took 48 hours and a new battery to start functioning again ... but it's a little squirrely now. I think I'll be picking up the new remote soon! Thanks for the hot tip!!!

HAHA! I never put the small one in my pocket when I was still using it, but could see how that could easily happen!

Fortunately this new one is bigger and heavier, so you shouldn't have that issue again :wink:

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #24,503 of 151,233

Interestingly, there is no way to access the battery on the new remote. It must be installed by Schiit (or whomever is putting them together) before the face with the buttons is installed. This is almost definitely a cost saving measure since the casing can be a single piece...and I suspect the battery within will last for quite some time (hopefully).

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #24,504 of 151,233
Great work. How about third generation Mjolnir? Really look forward to Schiit's progress.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #24,505 of 151,233
Interestingly, there is no way to access the battery on the new remote. It must be installed by Schiit (or whomever is putting them together) before the face with the buttons is installed. This is almost definitely a cost saving measure since the casing can be a single piece...and I suspect the battery within will last for quite some time (hopefully).

I noticed the same thing on mine as well when I got it! I thought for sure that I must have been blind or something, but have been out of town and haven't been home to pick it up and check it again. Good that someone corroborated this, and yes -- hopefully the battery is long-lasting!

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #24,506 of 151,233
Just so you guys don't think I'm BSing on Asgard 3 prototypes...

...but please note this is not a product, and never will be...it was simply a path to Magni 3.
I want to kiss it! :heart_eyes:

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #24,508 of 151,233

freya-manual-13-proof-4.jpg

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 19, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #24,509 of 151,233

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #24,510 of 151,233
Quick story about the new remote:

One of the things I'm doing this year is going through the products and making little tweaks, based on what we've learned by making several thousands of them. Most of these tweaks are relatively invisible, and are things like the Magni 3's stamped chassis. Some are more visible, like the Modi 2's aluminum top. Most are related to quality. This is no different than what any other smart manufacturer does over time, making changes to improve the product or the way it's made.

During the course of this process, one product stood out: the Saga/Freya remote. Sure, it was serviceable. Sure, it was reliable. Sure, it was made for us (overseas) by a reliable remote supplier (based in the USA). But it was a bit ass-y. As in, it looked and felt like ass.

So, I began wondering: what if we made our own remote? As in, what if we went ahead, tooled up, and did a real die-cast remote. I mean, after the tooling costs, we couldn't be looking at an absolute fortune, right?

In short, no. But the cost of tooling was such that we'd need to make ten thousand or so remotes in order to make the pain go away. Which, in the long run, was still fine.

But...

...but, in the process of looking into the die casting process, I found a reputable company already making aluminum remotes for audio gear...remotes that looked pretty good. They even had a neat magnetic-assembly trick for getting to the battery. So I figured, might as well contact them and get a quote. I drew up a quick sketch of our remote, based on their form factor, and asked if they could customize their product to fit our needs, and what the cost would be.

Long story short, they got back to me quickly, with a quote that was no more than the ass-y plastic remote we were already using!

Yes, that's right. No more money. Much better remote. No tooling cost.

Huh?

What was the catch? I decided to place an order and see if there was some kind of gotcha. The company sent along a sample for approval, which worked fine, and we received the first shipment in exactly the time they quoted, and they worked fine, too. So now we have new remotes...better remotes...for the same price as the old ones. Still made overseas, yep, but that's no different than the plastic ones. And I bet everyone likes the new aluminum ones better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back