Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 6, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #23,281 of 148,517
Jason and Mike,
For my upcoming Sol purchase, I elected to go with one of these. Will the color clash? Thanks, DSNORD

Ebony molecules? o_O

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #23,282 of 148,517
I seem to remember Mike saying "several hours, so you might as well just leave it on, so you don't have to wait to listen to music".

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #23,283 of 148,517
Jason and Mike,

For my upcoming Sol purchase, I elected to go with one of these. Will the color clash? Thanks, DSNORD

You are kidding, right?

Because everyone knows that best record clamps are made from fossilized dinosaur semen. The best of the best are made from Triceratops semen. It is difficult to find a female Triceratops that became fossilized quickly after doing the dirty deed, but even though the cost of a fossilized premortem jizzed Triceratops vagina is over 2 billion dollars (only 3 ever found), it will be the best 2 billion dollars you ever spent. The change in sound stage is beyond belief.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #23,284 of 148,517
So, I put them in a closet attached to a music player for 4 days. After the 4 days, I tried them again, and most of the flaws had vanished.

But after 4 days you could very well be in a different mood and/or physical condition.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #23,285 of 148,517
When used correctly, yes. Done many over the years. Usually to test the observers and to weed out those who couldn't detect the types of differences we needed to detect.

Awesome, you eliminate people that don't agree with you. That is so so scientific. Galileo was similarly eliminated. Fool thought the world was round and the Earth revolved around the sun, bwahahahahaha.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #23,286 of 148,517
I maybe lost it for a second, because some fool was bragging about a digital coax cable that only cost $89. Burn in and expensive interconnects really drive me crazy. The guy that hand picks his test subjects sent me over the edge.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #23,287 of 148,517
I maybe lost it for a second, because some fool was bragging about a digital coax cable that only cost $89. Burn in and expensive interconnects really drive me crazy. The guy that hand picks his test subjects sent me over the edge.
My word, you are having a bad day, aren't you.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #23,290 of 148,517
With Schiit's R2R DACs, with any R2R DACs, it's not necessarily about burn-in, it's about warm-up. And optimal operating temperatures. These devices settle within their INL/DNL specs only when reaching optimal temps. The differences can be perceived, but can also be small. If you don't notice them, in your system, more power to you. If you do, leave them DACs on and forget about it. Either way, take a deep breath, and leave others be.

+1

I had the same with my Wadia CD-player. It took at least a week before it sounded at its best. So this is a condition of high quality multibit DAC's in general, not only those of Schiit.

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #23,291 of 148,517
I hope @Baldr and @Jason Stoddard are reading all of this. Sounds like they have a lot to learn. :triportsad:
I hope they're reading this so they can come back and do a good thread cleanup.

Didn't head-fi (way back) have a no double blind discussion rule? Also, someone get Tyll over here to measure say a new HD600. Use it for a month and then measure again. Then maybe we can stop talking about burn-in too. #overit

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #23,292 of 148,517
Awesome, you eliminate people that don't agree with you. That is so so scientific. Galileo was similarly eliminated. Fool thought the world was round and the Earth revolved around the sun, bwahahahahaha.
Clearly you haven't any idea what we were talking about. Always the best standpoint for making bold comments.

To clarify, we were testing the people. People who couldn't pass the test weren't qualified for the job. Pretty simple, properly set set up and very successful.

I love how people who don't understand testing protocols have such strong opinions. Ignorance tends to inspire confidence.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #23,294 of 148,517
I dont use the Gen. 2 USB converter in my Gumby. I use a Yellowtec PUC2 Lite with an Neutrik AES-BNC converter and it is a big improvement. I will not upgrade to Gen. 5 before I have read some comparisons to a good outboard USB-converter, like Yellowtec, Stello U3, Audiophilleo etc. I hope that Gen. 5 is "up there" but I have my doubts...

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #23,295 of 148,517
I'm clueless as to why there exists a resounding distaste for blind tests on this site. If I'm not mistaken, the fundamental purpose of Head-Fi is to share qualitative information about audio related devices between two or more interested parties. Why is there so much opposition to a testing methodology that seeks to eliminate all non-relevant influences from the auditory information collecting process? If I want to know what something sounds like, I don't want to also know what it costs, how visually impressive the enclosure looks, the reviewer's opinion of the manufacturer, the effectiveness of the manufacturer's marketing team, etc... ad nauseam. When I want to know how something sounds, that is all I want to know. Some of the other things mentioned are indeed important considerations, however deciphering them from the middle of a listening impression is a bit tedious and error prone.

Additionally, on the topic of "silly things," do know, I have recently paid a local witch to bless my audio system. The blessing has improved my system dramatically. Any claim to the contrary is for starters, an affront to my firsthand experience to which I take deep offense. Secondly, as we all know (and are so often incessantly reminded), auditory qualia are subjective, and by the mere invocation of the word subjective, the laws of reality give way before me on my quest towards audio nervosa as if they were the red sea and I was Moses. Before anyone asks, no, I will not be willing to conduct a controlled experiment to demonstrate the efficacy of my claim. Additionally, such a request is offensive, and ought to be removed by the moderators at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back