Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #22,937 of 150,487
Yes, styling and aesthetics are not their primary focus but should be a part of the plan. I am not saying their stuff is with out merit and as such more assthetic than aesthetic, but I have my druthers and have no problem stating them with alarming frequency.

It will take a while but I suppose I could just start saving for an Accuphase :
accuphase_e-305_integrated_stereo_amplifier.jpg

I doubt the VU Meters interfere with the music but some here assert such things do exactly that. I like Schitt but want more visual appeal. As I have said in the past, VU Meters and the like are just icing on the cake but the reality of it is this - there is nothing wrong with plain cake. I can take it or leave it. Right now, I am leaving it.

But if the Jil does what I want I will with out a doubt be ordering one.

The price of 2 Vidar's might not cover the sales tax on that device.

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #22,938 of 150,487
So my question returns to this - Will the analog out put from a 'table with a built in preamp, sent to the analog input of the Jil and then spat out in digital format and sent to the digital input of my receiver produce music by the receivers DAC? If not, I will not buy one as it would prove useless to me. I can do that with the digital out put from a CD player now. I do not, but it is there if I want to. It seems like it should be able to do so and this in spite of some saying why not just use a line in. Why not use either if you can?

Just thought I should mention that the output of Jil is USB 2.0, so your receiver needs to have USB in. Next, if it does, it needs to accept 24 bit. If it doesn't have USB input but has digital coax or optical there may be other converters out there to do this.

I have an old kids record player from the 60's I found one day probably 25-30 years ago from a cleaned out storage unit by where I worked. I immediately bonded with it. I have it wrapped in plastic in storage here at home.

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #22,939 of 150,487
The price of 2 Vidar's might not cover the sales tax on that device.

Yup. By the time I can afford one it will be due to my buying a nice used one. It is a look I appreciate. Same with certain McIntosh and Yamaha Integrated Amps. There is nothing wrong with Schiit's line up. Some things I prefer and some I do not. It is my choice to either buy or not. to wait or not. Or to just forget it now as there really is nothing I need.

Just want. :beyersmile:

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #22,940 of 150,487
Anyone willing to report their experience regarding inserting Schitt Audio's Eiter in their sound system...?...I posted earlier my impressions, Post #22919, and am very curious regarding others' perceptions/impressions...and yes, mine have been rather to very positive...

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #22,941 of 150,487
To be sure I / we are understanding.

The turntables with built in Phono pre amps are connected to your amp(s) Aux or CD or Tape Play or Tuner inputs since the turntable out put from it's Pre Amp is line level (ie. plus or minus 2 volts)?

The Turntable without built in Pre amp gets connected to your amp(s) Phono input(s).

One of each turntable type should work fine with any amp that includes a Phono and a line level (AUX , etc.) input, thus two turntables into one amp.
All three of your turntables with Pre Amps may all be connected to an amp that has multiple line level inputs like AUX, Tuner, CD & Tape Play and still connect the non Pre Amp turntable to the Phono input.

I am still not sure why you need to add an ADC.

r2

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #22,942 of 150,487
To be sure I / we are understanding.

The turntables with built in Phono pre amps are connected to your amp(s) Aux or CD or Tape Play or Tuner inputs since the turntable out put from it's Pre Amp is line level (ie. plus or minus 2 volts)?

The Turntable without built in Pre amp gets connected to your amp(s) Phono input(s).

One of each turntable type should work fine with any amp that includes a Phono and a line level (AUX , etc.) input, thus two turntables into one amp.
All three of your turntables with Pre Amps may all be connected to an amp that has multiple line level inputs like AUX, Tuner, CD & Tape Play and still connect the non Pre Amp turntable to the Phono input.

I am still not sure why you need to add an ADC.

r2

Yes. The only reason to get an ADC is because I want one to play my vinyl through a digital in put. I do not need one. I use the phono in put for my Pro-Ject and TN-300 'tables. I have never even thought twice about converting an album to digital for my computers but that does not mean it is not worth it for many folks. In fact, many of the records I buy now include a digital down load for your computer and portable DAP.

Thank you for your help!

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #22,943 of 150,487
Yes. The only reason to get an ADC is because I want one to play my vinyl through a digital in put. I do not need one. I use the phono in put for my Pro-Ject and TN-300 'tables. I have never even thought twice about converting an album to digital for my computers but that does not mean it is not worth it for many folks. In fact, many of the records I buy now include a digital down load for your computer and portable DAP.

Thank you for your help!

Ok, Cool.

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #22,945 of 150,487
The FAQ states the name of the ADC is supposed to be a joke as in "Jil the Ripper". :)

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #22,946 of 150,487
Anyone willing to report their experience regarding inserting Schitt Audio's Eiter in their sound system...?...I posted earlier my impressions, Post #22919, and am very curious regarding others' perceptions/impressions...and yes, mine have been rather to very positive...

I've only seen one impression posted (as a new thread) of the GEN 5 upgrade, where the writer also had previously used a WYRD. He claimed that the difference was similar and comparable to a WYRD, but subtly better.

So, I am waiting for someone else with a WYRD to compare it to the EITR or GEN 5 upgrade.

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #22,947 of 150,487
Are you measuring the volume, or does it "sound" louder? Two Vidar's will sound cleaner, and therefore might not give you the standard audible cues you may associate with volume. Cleaner sound, at the same or higher volume than less clean sound, will not always sound as loud. Perception is more important than numbers, once again.
Yes it is louder in monoblock than single amp but not by much actually.

Monoblock is definitely clearer and the more authoritative , much better sound. I can listen at lower levels and pick up more details in monoblock mode versus stereo mode.

You are right about audible cues and volume subjectivity.

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #22,949 of 150,487
BTW, from the FAQ, it seems clear that Jil has no specific marketable difference from other cheap ADCs, other than being designed by Mike (which is, of course, a big difference, but there is no specific unusual technology in use).

It's possible that they wanted to see how much of a demand there is for ADC's before producing a more expensive one. However, that would not help them IF there is actually more demand for a high end "Yggdrasil level" ADC than a $199 one.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #22,950 of 150,487
I've only seen one impression posted (as a new thread) of the GEN 5 upgrade, where the writer also had previously used a WYRD. He claimed that the difference was similar and comparable to a WYRD, but subtly better.

So, I am waiting for someone else with a WYRD to compare it to the EITR or GEN 5 upgrade.

I've searched but I can't seem to find that thread/post. Can you give a link? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back