Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #22,831 of 150,657
Question for your audiophile experts. I am contemplating getting, Freya, and two Vidars. Right now, I am using 2 small NHT book shelf speaker with a sub. Obviously my purchase will be overkill, but since I have a Yggy, I want to run balance. It has been said, that running mono mode sounds better than stereo? Money not an issue, since I have been saving for this for some time. Any of you see any negatives as for as sound is concern?

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #22,833 of 150,657
So I am eitring my lunch and contemplating PRAT when it hit me ALL Schiit gear has it in spades.... Perfect Reach Around Toggle! And I'm done.

Here's to things going well for Jason and Mike today. A company that most certainly deserves continued success.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #22,834 of 150,657
I love PRAT
Pace Rythym and Timing
I love PRAT
Pace Rythym and Timing

If your mocking it, you probably have never heard a system that does it well. Sorry for your loss.

I love PRAT
Pace Rythym and Timing
I love PRAT
Pace Rythym and Timing

Ha ha ha. I can do this all day while waiting for the Shiitrcast

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #22,836 of 150,657
Question for your audiophile experts. I am contemplating getting, Freya, and two Vidars. Right now, I am using 2 small NHT book shelf speaker with a sub. Obviously my purchase will be overkill, but since I have a Yggy, I want to run balance. It has been said, that running mono mode sounds better than stereo? Money not an issue, since I have been saving for this for some time. Any of you see any negatives as for as sound is concern?
I'm no expert, just old. You will wring the most out of Yggy if u go balanced all the way. It will be a proper noise cancelling chain this way all the way to Vidar. If you have 'em use 'em. Those connections are calling you, that's why they're there. Their single ended outputs sound superb because of this circuit design. My 2¢

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #22,837 of 150,657
Trying to figure out how to view the live stream from The Schiitr without having to open an account at Fakebook. If that's the only source, I'll go without watching it- no way am I giving those bastards one data piece about myself and interests. Anyone have the skinny?

Phuckerberg isn't getting my data either (and a European vacation without WhatsApp is not easy!) but I vote periscope. Or YouTube live?

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #22,838 of 150,657
There are absolutely zero drawbacks to just buying a single Vidar to start with. You can always start with just one and then if you are not satisfied, get another. But it would be extreme overkill for two small bookshelf speakers. That's an insane amount of potential power for each speaker.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #22,839 of 150,657

As far as I know, you shouldn't worry about that. Since I haven't tried Vidar yet, I can't comment about mono mode being superior, but since Jason himself has recommended to try only one Vidar first and get another extra unit only if you find one Vidar is unable to give enough power to your speakers, I deduce there isn't any improvement in sound quality and power is the only factor to consider.

I'll go the same route than you, two Vidars, despite the fact my current speakers are the KEF LS50, which are inefficient but still don't require 400 W. The thing is, in less than a year I'll switch to a pair of floorstanding speakers, and I want to know I have enough power to buy whatever speakers I fall in love with :D

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #22,841 of 150,657

Don't go crazy for bookshelf speakers! Vidar is already a high gain amp. Running them as mono blocks adds 6db to that. Then, factor in the gain you get with Freya in tube gain mode and you are going to have a lot of speakers noise with nothing playing. I am running a single Vidar amp and don't feel like I am missing out on anything. I had ordered two Vidar amps but I sent one back without evening opening it. That was based on direct feedback from Jason himself....which I just passed along to you!

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #22,842 of 150,657
The Eitr is now in stock at the Schiit UK store as of a few minutes ago. I've already ordered mine.

Thanks for the alert ... I wasn't expecting availability till later ... ORDERED !

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #22,843 of 150,657
I love PRAT
Pace Rythym and Timing
I love PRAT
Pace Rythym and Timing

If your mocking it, you probably have never heard a system that does it well. Sorry for your loss.

I love PRAT
Pace Rythym and Timing
I love PRAT
Pace Rythym and Timing

Ha ha ha. I can do this all day while waiting for the Shiitrcast
it always has been and always will be a stupid acronym. Something reviewers say that signifies nothing.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #22,844 of 150,657
It's a useful term for a real characteristic. Some pieces of equipment do it better than others, yes, even electronics.
Unless a piece of equipment is grossly out of phase or mechanically unsound or ill-designed, I find most systems have some degree of the above mentioned cringe-inducing acronym. For me at least, it is incredibly undescriptive

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #22,845 of 150,657
Trying to figure out how to view the live stream from The Schiitr without having to open an account at Fakebook. If that's the only source, I'll go without watching it- no way am I giving those bastards one data piece about myself and interests. Anyone have the skinny?

Schiit's facebook page is public, so you should be able to watch the livestream without registering. You would have to go to facebook.com/schiit directly.

Edit: Used private browsing to test this. If you type the address in directly, then click on videos in the left column, you should be able to watch a livestream, so long as it is set to public. Since Schiit is a public profile, the stream should be public by default.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back