Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 22, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #22,531 of 151,038
Jul 22, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #22,532 of 151,038
Well you're in the incredible position to come and hear for yourself.
I might just have to.
I want to hear more and different setups but I have no people around who even care about sound.
It`s all sonos everywhere over here and I don`t even try to convince these slaves to ease of use anymore.
They look and my set and go: you should get a Sonos play3 and put it under the sofa so you can get rid of all that stuff in your livingroom. Plus there is an app!
Then I tell them I have a ridiculous phone too and there is no windows mobile app for sonos-farts-from-under-the-sofa.

I just figured out why I have a hard time making new friends.

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #22,533 of 151,038
Do the sonic stabilizers work?
And if.. What do they do?

to answer your question, yes they do.. the sonic stabilizer work with with Herbie`s Tenderfeet, there are four of those under the Freya and under the Bifrost. i have use these with great effect on previous tube and SS gear. i won't listen to my gear without them. the tube dampers are a blessing to microphonic tubes, also help cleanup the sound if your speakers are as close the rack as my are. better focus, bass, mids and treble from Herbie`s products. i use his TT mat as well, love his stuff, and very effective and reasonable price too!

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #22,535 of 151,038
I might just have to.
I want to hear more and different setups but I have no people around who even care about sound.
It`s all sonos everywhere over here and I don`t even try to convince these slaves to ease of use anymore.
They look and my set and go: you should get a Sonos play3 and put it under the sofa so you can get rid of all that stuff in your livingroom. Plus there is an app!
Then I tell them I have a ridiculous phone too and there is no windows mobile app for sonos-farts-from-under-the-sofa.

I just figured out why I have a hard time making new friends.
You use a Windows phone?
How stupid.
Me too.

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #22,537 of 151,038
Me too, but my Nokia 1520 is showing it's age.... They need to bring something soon...

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #22,538 of 151,038
Ha! What are the odds?
Well...now we can talk about all the apps we don`t have when we meet.

Edit:
I do miss vivino
How about all the apps you don't need.

Bring your own DAC and we'll do some comparison.
When you leave I'll write you a prescription for anti-depressants.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #22,539 of 151,038
Jul 22, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #22,540 of 151,038
IMG_20170722_151755908.jpg
IMG_20170722_121325541_HDR.jpg

Ahhhh, well here goes! They're up and running.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #22,541 of 151,038
Jul 22, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #22,543 of 151,038
re: Yggdrasil and Gungnir

The Yggdrasil was the first Schiit DAC I ever purchased. Until it came out I was a dedicated user of tube-buffered DACs, with the three in my systems at the time being from Wavelength and Kora. But I was using a Schiit Lyr headphone amplifier and I knew Mike Moffat's work from Theta and Theta Digital and I used to lust after the Theta Laserdisc players and DACs from the 80's and 90's, so when I read what Mike had to say about Yggdrasil I knew I wanted one. And I was blown away by it. It was smooth and pure, turned digital bits into sweet analog music with none of the harshness I normally associated with solid state DACs from companies like Ayre and Benchmark and other companies I had owned and tried. After a side-by-side comparison with both my Crimson and my Hermes II DACs, I found I preferred the Yggdrasil in both cases. And not by a slim margin. So the high-end tube DACs were sold and Yggdrasil replaced them. I was using a Wavelength Brick for my headphone system but didn't really have room for another Yggdrasil... and just then Schiit released the Gungnir Multibit version and the Mjolnir 2, so I jumped on them replacing the Brick and the Lyr. Wow, a much better sound. Then because I could I compared the sound of the Gungnir MB to the Yggdrasil in my headphone setup and found that I preferred the Gungnir's slightly warmer tone. Not by a lot, but enough for me to notice. Hmm, I thought, what about in my 2-channel system? So I toted the Gungnir into the stereo room and compared it to the Yggdrasil there, and found that the detail and accuracy of Yggdrasil sounded better. Not by a lot, but enough for me to notice. So that's my opinion: I prefer the Yggdrasil for music in a 2-channel setup, and I prefer Gungnir MB for headphones. Is one better than the other? Only your ears can know for sure. For me, I liked them both but for different applications. As always, YMMV.

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #22,544 of 151,038
Has anyone received an Eitr yet? Picked mine up yesterday and have encountered an odd issue. Listening to audio and plugging in some other device to a power outlet in the room causes the Eitr to drop out for a split second (also tested turning on my ceiling fan and again Eitr cut out). I sent an email off to Nick but am wondering if anyone else can reproduce this. This does not happen when the Eitr is removed and the Modi is connected directly to the computer.
I don't have an Eitr, but interestingly, I have the same issue on my Singxer X-1, which is actually powered through it's USB connection.

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #22,545 of 151,038
Well I briefly switched from Vidar balanced mode to se(rca mode ) running only one Vidar.
IMO running Se is not even close to the audio resolution and clarity in my system.
I will run the Vidars in monoblock mode period .

One thing I noticed is volume is quite a bit lower in monoblock configuration running two Vidars than Se mode running only one Vidar . I wonder why that is ? In other words, running one Vidar is much louder at the same spot on the Freya volume knob than running two Vidars in monoblock mode . When it's not in tube mode I really have to crank it to (3 o'clock ) to get loud volume .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back