Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #22,217 of 151,024
That's not quite how you do it. Yes, latching to ground and attempting to dissipate the whole strike won't work, but lightning rods take those hits all the time.

The idea is to make a ground window (google it) a single point where your gear interfaces with all protection and system ground. Your equipment with a properly set up ground window and grounding system will float up together to 50kV or more (with no delta between individual components) and drop together as well. Your job is to make sure the ground system is up to the task and provides a better ground than your equipment (typically in a rack) will. It's surprisingly both delicate and tough to do. A single phone line not going through your ground window will defeat the whole thing.

If you really are interested, look for a book called, 'The "Grounds" for Lightning and EMP Protection'. It's out of print now -- it used to be available at a relatively cheap price from Polyphaser.

But I digress... this thread is about Schiit, not lightning or even USB other than Schiit USB interfaces and how your equipment can fail easily.

Bring on the Vidar impressions!
Not totally true--I worked in EMI/EMC/EMP design and testing for 40 years. The calculations may indicate compliance, but the testing says otherwise. All of the direct strike suppressor manufacturers always have survival caveats. If you really get a direct strike, your building may survive, but your electronics are toast----ask NASA.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #22,218 of 151,024
Not totally true--I worked in EMI/EMC/EMP design and testing for 40 years. The calculations may indicate compliance, but the testing says otherwise. All of the direct strike suppressor manufacturers always have survival caveats. If you really get a direct strike, your building may survive, but your electronics are toast----ask NASA.

Ever work on a broadcasting site? They -- especially TV and FM stations -- get struck a lot.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #22,219 of 151,024

Have you read "Grounds?" By chance, do or did you know someone professionally named Gary Coffman? I learned a lot from those guys and I'm still here to talk about it. I do believe you can't survive every strike, but you can certainly tip the odds in your favor. A change of having your coax run to the ground, then to the building, then through your ground window -- the correct way -- versus running the coax to the 8 foot point of the tower and going over to the ground window -- the incorrect way -- can make the difference.

I should say I'm not belittling your experience. I've just had different ones, and have tried to follow the rules religiously.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #22,222 of 151,024

See Apollo 12. Or search Youtube for "SCE to AUX"

As much as I like this side discussion, we really should take it offline.

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #22,224 of 151,024
Schiit only does black finishes when they have enough enclosures that will not work out for the brushed aluminum finish. Then they powder coat those. If you really want a black Freya (or other Schiit) you will have to wait for that to happen.
What I posted above is the way Schiit has always done black enclosures. I remembered and reread a post that may mean that Schiit has changed their black finish philosophy as far as 2-channel gear goes.

"A lot more of our 2-channel stuff will be more available in black, going forward. Vidars will be available in black from launch." - @Jason Stoddard

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #22,227 of 151,024
Will Schiit Eitr pass DSD and MQA like the Singxer?

Nice product name. However I’m waiting for the Schiit Sturm.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #22,230 of 151,024
Have you read "Grounds?" By chance, do or did you know someone professionally named Gary Coffman? I learned a lot from those guys and I'm still here to talk about it. I do believe you can't survive every strike, but you can certainly tip the odds in your favor. A change of having your coax run to the ground, then to the building, then through your ground window -- the correct way -- versus running the coax to the 8 foot point of the tower and going over to the ground window -- the incorrect way -- can make the difference.

I should say I'm not belittling your experience. I've just had different ones, and have tried to follow the rules religiously.
I am not disagreeing with you. What I was driving at is that sturdy structures and high powered devices will survive a direct or near miss strike, many electronic devices [especially semiconductor junctions] can be damaged or degraded by energy as low as picowatts, which is many orders of magnitude below the energy dissipated during a strike. Consequently, we need to protect these devices from stray energy---the easiest way that I know is disconnect them when the thunder starts. I have personally lost networking equipment to ground currents induced in underground cables running between buildings at my home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back