Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 15, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #21,901 of 150,753
Though cost-wise his products aren't Schiit cheap, I recommend Core Audio Designs. I have his (height adjustable) 'riser' speaker stands, and they're fantastic. The racks on the site look pretty impressive as well.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #21,903 of 150,753
This was mentioned a while back on another thread, of course it was a prototype with no indication it would see the light of day. I agree, the voodoo that happens in that little box Known as the Modi MB is scary good. Another discussion had a while back was the viability of a smaller amp possibly in a Bifrost sized Chassis, after a few pages of back and forth little was said about it but apparently the groundwork is there. while feeding the rumor mill is fun it really is putting us in an endless death spiral until Monday.

In my opinion the Bifrost chassis is the perfect size for a desk, an amp in there from Schiit would be sublime.

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #21,904 of 150,753
Jumping way ahead, I would love to one day see both mini Vidar and Über Vidar; both also being single-ended and balanced-capable. Perhaps the mini version could put out 50/100 watts per channel, and the larger could do 150/300 per channel, or 600 watts at 8 ohms as a mono block. The larger one could also feature further sonic refinements. Jason had previously hinted at *possibly* one day putting out an even fancier, Schmancier power amplifier.

In the meantime, Monday can't come soon enough!

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #21,905 of 150,753
NightSchiit
WP_20170710_00_23_02_Pro.jpg

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #21,906 of 150,753
A good way to do a 25 watt desktop amp in a Bifrost sized case might be a chip amp using an LM-1875 chip or something similar. I've had a few of these in my system, and with speakers that present an easy load they can sound spectacular. They can be done at a pretty reasonable price, too.

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #21,908 of 150,753
maxresdefault.jpg

The
time on
the east coast
when Jason says
"Aaanndd we're live!"

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #21,911 of 150,753
So...you guys wanna kill some time and show me your rack?
Audioracks only please.

I want to DIY it but I keep running into cablemanagement-issues, room for powerstrips out of sight and I decided I don`t want glass.
So it will be wooden but not sure if it will have 1,2,3 or even four feet and how to attach the plateaus (4 of them) and keep them somewhat decoupled at the same time.
And the goal is to keep cost at a minimum and buy more Schiit.

So here's a pic of my HT Rack. All DIY build. 3 Legs per stand. Wood is rough sawn old Ironbark hardwood from an old building in Murchison (country Victoria, Australia). Would have been originally cut and installed in 1850 as it was from the floor of the undertaker's business in the town. They are roughly 2.5" x 5". The wood still has the hand made by a blacksmith, square nails. Three legs, so always stable.

IMG_0511.JPG

Shelves are 500mm x 500mm, Jarrah for the two left and right, and Bloodwood (ex Queensland utility poles) for the centre.

Each shelf is fixed directly to the legs via 2 x 150mm screws (countersunk into the legs and painted matt black so they disappear.
Don't know how heavy, but the middle rack needs a hand-truck to move.

I am still working on cable management but am heading to a system from networking, and just screw it onto the back of the rear leg, cables run up and down, and break out for each device.

black_metal_cover_network_cable_management_bar_products_for_19_inch_cabinet.jpg

Can send some better photos if you want them, but will have to be a few weeks away as I am currently travelling with work.

Need to get something better for the speakers to sit on too!

No Schiit on this rack yet, my Schitt is on a shelf in the office. But maybe some Vidars might find their way here!

Good luck with your search!

Cheers
Tim

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #21,912 of 150,753
That is a SERIOUSly well made rack system.
Ironwood is amazingly dense.

My suggestion is to put the power cables in one breakout runner and the analog signal cables in another, and perhaps the digital in a third.
Just a thought.

JJ

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #21,913 of 150,753
That is a SERIOUSly well made rack system.
Ironwood is amazingly dense.

My suggestion is to put the power cables in one breakout runner and the analog signal cables in another, and perhaps the digital in a third.
Just a thought.

JJ
Thanks. I probably won't have the space, as the whole setup needs to be less than 5" wide to stay hidden on the back leg. But yes I will separate as much as possible!

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #21,914 of 150,753
Nice work Timster. Those concentric Tannoys are sweet. I agree with johnjens power and signal breakout wherever possible. In the Networking world there are also screw in mounts that let you loop velcro in which I really like, called saddles. which may work for areas where those traditional channel type organizers may be to big.

699_Saddle_Velcro_Screw-On_Mount_Belden.jpg

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #21,915 of 150,753

@thedesigner2011. Yes Bifrost/Asgard Size will live on a desk nicely.
WP_20170715_17_40_33_Pro%20(2).jpg

You failed to show me this when we were cutting up the tree why?

And did I know you got an Assguard? I can't remember.

Where's your dock hidden?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back