Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 9, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #21,706 of 152,712
Hi Everyone, First time poster here. Big fan of Schiit having recently purchased an Yggy, only about ten days into "burn in" but sounding sweeter as time passes. Also will be driving speakers as well as headphones (Senn..HD 700) , anyway my interest in Vidar is twofold, I wish to move to separates from an integrated amp, using Freya and Vidar, but will be driving Magnepan 3.6's two way only not home theater.The Maggis are power hungry, standing 2x6 feet each, so waiting for final specs to see if I should monoblock, or start with one Vidar and if needed get a second Vidar. An earlier post mentions a demo at a trade show using Manepan .7's with good results...Any thoughts? Thanks All

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #21,707 of 152,712
According the most recents specs we have heard, Vidar is 100 watts per channel at 8 Ω, 200 watts per channel at 4 Ω. In monoblock mode, it is 400 watts at 8 Ω. Vidar will not be rated at 4 Ω in monoblock mode.

The Maggie .7 is a 4 Ω speaker. The speakers I am buying are 4 Ω speakers also. But, I am going to try and drive them with both one and two Vidar amps. I am not a headbanger so I suspect the monoblock setup will work perfectly fine without the amps shutting down to protect themselves. The speakers I am getting look to be quite a bit more efficient than your Maggies which means they *should* need less power than the Maggies.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #21,708 of 152,712
Winders , Thanks for the quick response, hopefully once officially announced I might check with Schiit support..My best understanding is the 3.6's should be good between 100 to 250 watts per channel, which puts a single Vidar toward the upper end recommendation. I'm courious about your results with different Vidar combinations.. I do feel that a fair amount of headroom power is desirable especially at low volume...maybe Jason will chime in on this ..if he ever gets time..this week looks very busy for him and folks at Schiit

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #21,709 of 152,712
Within practical limits, you cannot have too much power. I have a pair of Magnepan MMG that were for some time driven by a PS Audio GCC-500. That's 1000 Watts per channel into the 4 Ohm load of the Maggies. I think that was 'enough' power, as I never got to maximum volume before my ears said 'that's enough'. That amp developed a fault and needs service, so in the meantime the Maggies are being driven by a PS Audio Trio C-100 (200 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms). The C-100 also has sufficient power to play well with the Maggies. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you that one or the other amp sounds better as I did not do any critical listening and comparison while both were operational. Still, more power did not hurt, even if I cannot tell you that it sounds better.

That said, if I had the funds, I would not hesitate to (and would very much like to) buy a pair of Vidars to operate in monoblock mode into the MMGs, and would comfortably suggest the same for any Maggie owner under the following conditions. If you can get things as loud as you want running a single Vidar in stereo mode, then you should have no difficulty in running the Vidar in monoblock mode. You will have four times the headroom (much better for transients and overall control) while averaging half the power delivered per amp. This would be the same power per channel at the same listening level, therefore half the power per chassis in monoblock mode. You would only hazard running into protection if you were power limited in stereo mode needed the additional power to be running the sound level more than 3dB louder in monoblock mode than in stereo mode. While not 'rated' into 4 Ohms (that's a legal/FTC rating issue) the Vidar should be safe operating into that load at the same listening level that it can deliver in stereo mode.

J.P.

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #21,710 of 152,712
The Gungnir Mulibit is the best value for the money in my opinion. You get 95% of the Yggdrasil, for half of the price. I listen to 16/44 most of the time; so those two extra bits of resolution don't matter to me much.I have the Gungnir, and there is no way I would ever get rid of it. The soundstage, and tone is so right, that it feels like you can get up and walk around in the soundstage.

I have to second this, all though I'm probably going to get a Yggy at some future date far in the future, the Gumby is really really good.

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #21,711 of 152,712
Again Great info! I'm saving my pennies, I must say that I don't know where at the Vidar(s) price point that anything comparable can be found, especially with the quality that Schiit has maintained throughout their line of products. I do try to be frugal, my Maggie's are used, so I paid a 3rd of retail price, and at least to my ears they sound great
.Thanks Windsongs sorryI meant Windsounds

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #21,712 of 152,712
I'm courious about your results with different Vidar combinations..

Results? There can be no results yet since the Vidar does not yet exist. When it's released and in people's hands then we can discuss results,. :)

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #21,713 of 152,712
What amp are you driving the Phil 3 speakers with?

Initially I used a Krell Vanguard, which i felt was a very competent integrated, well able to drive the Phil 3s. Selling that off have me funds for Freya and two Vidars. The Freya was a revelation - much more satisfying than a Krell KRC preamp I owned 20+ years ago.

My current power amp is a diy job based on the top Anaview class D module. I'm well aware Jason dislikes class D, but until Vidar ships this is the best I'm able to find. I also tried an old Aleph class A amp. Great mids and sweet top end, but way too rolled off in the bass for the Phil 3s.

BTW, I use the Freya with jfet active buffer. I've tried the stock tubes and Tungsols, and find the jfet buffet is consistently less forward and has much better bass control. The Phil 3s are flat to 26Hz. Dennis Murphy doesn't recommend exotic gear to go with them, but they are revealing!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #21,717 of 152,712
Denis Murphy does the crossovers for Salk Sound. I love everything Salk Sound produces. In the USA. Top quality and custom finishes (and custom anything else if you ask). Very reasonable cost for top quality handmade and gorgeous sounding speakers.

I have a 60 evaluation period for the TektonDesign Double Impact speakers. Salk offers a 30 evaluation period. After about a month with the Double Impacts, I may order up a pair of Salk Song3-A speakers and compare them. That will depend on how much I like the Double Impact speakers.

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #21,718 of 152,712
I have a 60 evaluation period for the TektonDesign Double Impact speakers. Salk offers a 30 evaluation period. After about a month with the Double Impacts, I may order up a pair of Salk Song3-A speakers and compare them. That will depend on how much I like the Double Impact speakers.

I thought Salk's speakers were made to order with delivery typically measured in weeks...wouldn't the timing of that pose some issues for direct comparison?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #21,719 of 152,712
I have a freya sitting in its box waiting for a pair of Vidar. I'm way out in western AK about 300 miles off the road system so everything comes out to my village in an airplane or a container barg.

Pre listening is not an option but I have been looking seriously at Spatial M3i, Zu Omen Def MKII , and even those Teckton Double impact discussed here a few times have caught my eye.

Before all this I was looking at the MM1.7 but just reading about them I got the impression that they would not feed the Rocknroll beast as it were.

To be honest I just decided a week ago to seriously consider a pair of the MM 1.7 for that piano female vocalist music a la Tori Amos or Regina Spector and a pair of something more suited to reproducing the bass and kickdrum of Social D or what ever else I have in mind to listen.

Mostly I just keep my collection on random so its Musorski one moment and... ya, its Suzy and the Banshies ratting the hanger walls at the moment, now its Julie Cruze...

Really appreciate the depth and detail everyone here has been sharing. Its been a good learning experience

Now its Bauhaus's cover of Ziggy Stardust...

M. Paul

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #21,720 of 152,712
I though Salk's speakers were made to order with delivery typically measured in weeks...wouldn't the timing of that pose some issues for direct comparison?

As soon as I get a couple of weeks on the DI speakers, I will know if I need to order the Salk speakers for comparison. That gives me time to get them ordered and here so they can be compared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back