Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 30, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #21,452 of 150,321
This whole one vs. two Vidar thing is ridiculous. If one Vidar can so effortlessly and transparently run a pair of Maggie's like it did at the LA Audio Show, it's not going to suddenly trip the protection ciruitry running two. Jason is just being overly caution with his recommendations.
Balanced has always sounded better to me than unbalanced . I would probably have bought just one if the Vidar had 2 xlr's on a single amp .

Jun 30, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #21,453 of 150,321
Jason,
thanks for the update! I'm pretty persuaded that Vidar is gonna be another winner for Schiit, and this is what I wish you. I'm definitely going to get one in some months (I just can't now), so I'd be very interested in any additional technical details you'd be wanting to give us in your following chapters (whenever you'll find the time to write them, of course), besides what you've already told us in your past chapters.
Now, this is my question: are you going to send a Vidar (or perhaps a Freya/Saga/Vidar 'combo') to any audiophile magazine for review purposes? Or is this something you haven't already decided? And what about that 'obsolete' magazine? Would they be going to have a Vidar to review, after all they did with their Yggdrasil review (or, in particular, the measurements section of their review)?

Saga was reviewed earlier this year in Hi-Fi World magazine, here in the U.K, and was rated as outstanding.

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #21,458 of 150,321
I am completely new to poweramps but all the buzz got me interested, can I use the preamp outs from my Vallhalla 2 to drive the Vidar? Or do I need a dedicated preamp?
I used a Valhalla 2 in this manner for sometime. It was great... Until freya landed. If you already have the Valhalla 2, run it. my freya does preamp duties far better and from what I have read about the saga I assume the same so my opinion would be if you do not have the Valhalla2 already go with one of the preamps for a 2ch rig.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #21,459 of 150,321
Sadly don't think I will have space for a Vidar and Freya :triportsad:. My Rotel RA-1570 only just fits and the Vidar is longer, only way it would fit is if they are stack-able but I am guessing that is probably a bad idea considering the potential heat output.

Jun 30, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #21,460 of 150,321
I turn my stuff off when I am done listening. I do not believe in burning in but I have experienced burning out. I all so do not charge any batteries needlessly or just leave things running because i feel it makes them sound "better". But then I am a toad of little brain.

At what cost is entry gained to Schiithalla? We are given the divine gift of speech and I like to put it to good use when ever possible. Schiit offers excellence equal to or greater than other makes and for, if you will, working man prices.

As Steve Martin once said, "Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way." 'Tis far, far better to have a way with words than to have a wonderful economy with them. I suspect you are all eagerly awaiting my next syllable with great eagerness (yet another homage to yet another film's greatness) . I doubt it, LOL!

It is a truth that people, especially so in audio circles, desire "equality", but only with those they consider their betters. This sort of BS fuels the ENC (Emperor's New Clothes) and frAudiophiles are for ever engaged in acts of self-flaggelation in an effort to make some thing sound better when it costs more. They can hear a flea fart or so they would have you believe. They make excuses for their suppositions and rationalize the crap out of their "reviews".

With Schiit, there are no excuses because none are needed. As for looks? Well, those are subjective and to be honest just icing on the cake.

Nothing wrong with "plain" cake, tho'. And the cake will be ready when the baker says it is.

"The Obsolete Sound"...LOL!

Jun 30, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #21,461 of 150,321
Sadly don't think I will have space for a Vidar and Freya :triportsad:. My Rotel RA-1570 only just fits and the Vidar is longer, only way it would fit is if they are stack-able but I am guessing that is probably a bad idea considering the potential heat output.

So long as you are happy with what you have, just enjoy it. There is no need to upgrade just to "keep up". Rotel makes nice stuff and I am certain that you will later on find some thing Schiity that will add to your happiness with out detracting from your life in any way at all. Nothing wrong in wanting some thing new, just wait until it not only fits in that shelf space but your life.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #21,462 of 150,321
Balanced has always sounded better to me than unbalanced . I would probably have bought just one if the Vidar had 2 xlr's on a single amp .
Suggest that you read Jason's words in post #21384---if there were 2-XLR inputs on Vidar for Left and Right channels, they would have to be summed to single ended configuration in order to use Vidar as a Stereo amplifier. When you use Vidar as a monoblock, then the + and - terminals of the XLR each drive one of the two amplifiers. It should make no difference in performance, but Balanced XLR to Unbalanced RCA resistor summers are readily available.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #21,463 of 150,321
And Jason has stated repeatedly that for most folks one Vidar will be enough.

That said I wonder if a Vidar will power my HE-6's. Hmmm...

Jun 30, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #21,464 of 150,321
So long as you are happy with what you have, just enjoy it. There is no need to upgrade just to "keep up". Rotel makes nice stuff and I am certain that you will later on find some thing Schiity that will add to your happiness with out detracting from your life in any way at all. Nothing wrong in wanting some thing new, just wait until it not only fits in that shelf space but your life.

Very true, at 120W/c with my Rotel I have more than enough power for most speakers and it does already sound pretty damn nice with my Monitor Audio Platinum PL100II but you know... Grass is always greener :beerchug:

Jun 30, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #21,465 of 150,321
That said I wonder if a Vidar will power my HE-6's. Hmmm...
Of course it would, assuming you can build the proper adapter. The real question is would it fry them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back