Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 24, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #21,286 of 150,333
VS is my favorite PJ album. I have the vinyl and an original CD from the first release which doesn't have the album name on it. I am trying to justify new speakers. So with your vinyl VS does it really rock? What cartridge is that. I suffer the same problem on my vinyl copy.

The most amazing VS experience I had was with a $7,500 Naim CDX2 with the Cronus. Otherworldly, but $7500 for a Cd player may actually get me shot by my wife.

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #21,287 of 150,333
VS is my favorite PJ album. I have the vinyl and an original CD from the first release which doesn't have the album name on it. I am trying to justify new speakers. So with your vinyl VS does it really rock? What cartridge is that. I suffer the same problem on my vinyl copy.

The most amazing VS experience I had was with a $7,500 Naim CDX2 with the Cronus. Otherworldly, but $7500 for a Cd player may actually get me shot by my wife.

VS on vinyl rocks hard ... I have the original CD too,currently ripped as WAVs for my home-brew music server.

The Pro-ject Esprit in the picture is my wife's table and currently using the stock Ortofon Red ... I will be upgrading her to the Bronze cartridge and throw in the Clamp-It for Xmas. I find the Red cartridge to be quite sibilant ... which is not a good match with titanium horn tweeters =(. Despite the sibilance ... the vinyl still rocks harder than the CD / WAV. There's a "presence" to it that the CD just can't match.

Edit: I hear you on the Naim CD player ... no way, death by wife would happen quickly. I've tried it on my old man's ~$2,000 Elite player from back in the day ... still not as good as the LP.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #21,288 of 150,333
I don't have a subwoofer. Eyeing for one from SVS but may not pull the trigger until next year.
Do you think setting the crossover and let the subwoofer handle the base will give me much better result?

Maybe maybe not as there is still the room placement thing. The more options built into the sub the better though. Do you have a CD with test tones on it? That might really speed the experimentation process. Just a thought.:o2smile:

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #21,289 of 150,333
VS on vinyl rocks hard ... I have the original CD too,currently ripped as WAVs for my home-brew music server.

The Pro-ject Esprit in the picture is my wife's table and currently using the stock Ortofon Red ... I will be upgrading her to the Bronze cartridge and throw in the Clamp-It for Xmas. I find the Red cartridge to be quite sibilant ... which is not a good match with titanium horn tweeters =(. Despite the sibilance ... the vinyl still rocks harder than the CD / WAV. There's a "presence" to it that the CD just can't match.

Edit: I hear you on the Naim CD player ... no way, death by wife would happen quickly. I've tried it on my old man's ~$2,000 Elite player from back in the day ... still not as good as the LP.

You have just sealed it. I'm going to figure out how to get new speakers. I think begging is in order. I use a 2m blue on my TT.

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #21,290 of 150,333
Probably obvious answer to obvious question ... but I'm driving myself crazy between a choosing a Bimby or Gumby ... and I have no opportunity to listen to either unit prior to purchase. Any thoughts or input? I've read the Gumby is warmer than the Yggy (that's a good thing for me). Does the Gumby add a little warmth to your setup? I'm trying to stay with a highly resolving system but like a touch of warmth.

I think the main difference is the BMB is only SE and GMB supports balanced connections. My system is fully balanced from DAC to HP's, sounds great. But, I can't imagine the SE vs. balanced would make a huge difference. I think the GMB does have one more bit of resolution vs. BMB, whatever that means. I owned the original UberBiFrost but never the BMB, so can't directly compare the BMB and GMB. Maybe Mike (or the Schiit tech guys tech@schiit.com) can answer more logically.

Edit...
Oh, forgot about the warmth. I heard the Yggy / Rag setup at a meet, and it sounded nicely "warm." I have read that Jason feels the GMB is slightly "warmer" than the Yggy. At that writing - months ago - he prefered the GMB for headphones and the Yggy for 2-channel. However, the Yggy will be more accurate/resolving than the GMB. I'm now confusing myself. Good luck w/ the choices.
:)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #21,291 of 150,333
You have just sealed it. I'm going to figure out how to get new speakers. I think begging is in order. I use a 2m blue on my TT.

With your Blue ... which from my understanding is meatier than the Red and fixes the sibilance issue ... you should be rocking. If you do get speakers, I'd love to know what you end up with. I love Klipsch but would really like to hear some Salks with the silk ribbon tweeters, or try out some Maggies with the Rogue. I bought the Klipsch for a tiny 4W SET amp and they are WAY WAY WAY too sensitive for the Cronus. I need some inefficient speakers ... without losing the horn highs that I love ... at 8 ohms ... and that seems to be almost impossible to find =(

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #21,292 of 150,333

Yamaha_CD-S2100_550.jpg

Yamaha CD S-2100, $3000 @ Amazon. Some say it is very very close to high end stuff like Naim
at half the price.

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #21,293 of 150,333
I think the main difference is the BMB is only SE and GMB supports balanced connections. My system is fully balanced from DAC to HP's, sounds great. But, I can't imagine the SE vs. balanced would make a huge difference. I think the GMB does have one more bit of resolution vs. BMB, whatever that means. I owned the original UberBiFrost but never the BMB, so can't directly compare the BMB and GMB. Maybe Mike (or the Schiit tech guys tech@schiit.com) can answer more logically.

Edit...
Oh, forgot about the warmth. I heard the Yggy / Rag setup at a meet, and it sounded nicely "warm." I have read that Jason feels the GMB is slightly "warmer" than the Yggy. At that writing - months ago - he prefered the GMB for headphones and the Yggy for 2-channel. However, the Yggy will be more accurate/resolving than the GMB. I'm now confusing myself. Good luck w/ the choices.
:)

I'm totally confused. Do I upgrade from Bimby to Gumby or even Yiggy??? Or do I just enjoy my (single ended) system as it is, which is wonderful, and not keep trying to stay up with the in-crowd??? I've got an idea. I'm going to listen to music right now and just ENJOY :ksc75smile:

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #21,294 of 150,333
With your Blue ... which from my understanding is meatier than the Red and fixes the sibilance issue ... you should be rocking. If you do get speakers, I'd love to know what you end up with. I love Klipsch but would really like to hear some Salks with the silk ribbon tweeters, or try out some Maggies with the Rogue. I bought the Klipsch for a tiny 4W SET amp and they are WAY WAY WAY too sensitive for the Cronus. I need some inefficient speakers ... without losing the horn highs that I love ... at 8 ohms ... and that seems to be almost impossible to find =(

I am seriosly thinking a pair of Tekton design because thats about all I can swing right now. I was hot and heavy looking at songs 3, but a new HVAC system and garder tractor shot that. I am thinking tekton Lore, Uruz, Lore Reference, Seas Pendragon or Enzo. I'll need to unload some spare gear.

That and I've seem some craigslist stuff locally that looked good.

I also have a pair of Dali Zensor 3 bookshelf that I may rotate back in. Greeat in the boogie factor, but noticeably inferior tweeter for the other music I like.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #21,295 of 150,333
I am seriosly thinking a pair of Tekton design because thats about all I can swing right now. ....

I hadn't heard of Tekton so I had a look at their site, a lot of speaker for the money (Seas Pendragon) (if that means anything?), they might be great speakers but I nearly choked on the hype BS - I must "research" further.

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #21,297 of 150,333
Do you think setting the crossover and let the subwoofer handle the base will give me much better result?

A subwoofer can help even out the bass in the room even if it doesn't go deeper than your mains. I suppose you could try the "sub crawl" with your mains.

Place one of your speakers at the listening position and play a nice low note, say from a deep bass or a test tone if you have them. Then walk around the room to find where it sounds best. That's where the speaker should go.

At least, that works with subwoofers.

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #21,298 of 150,333
Or do I just enjoy my (single ended) system as it is, which is wonderful, and not keep trying to stay up with the in-crowd???
I try to upgrade only if I perceive an issue. Staying pat is always the best option.

Besides, you gotta save your dough for the new Schiit coming out....

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #21,300 of 150,333
Nice to know that it works straight out og the box. I also beleive in changing on thing /parameter at the time. Then I also know what to give him for christmas.
Looks like I landed on the Vali2 with a ModiMB for my bro. I'll probably get the jotunheim for my GungnirMB then we can compare and try out the possible combinations. Fun times ahead.
It was great to get all of your comparisons of the Schiit gear.
I miss a thread which does that. Discuss and compare all the different benefits, advantages/disadvantages, soundprofiles good/poor combinations of the different schiit gear. And with great combos of schiit with other gear outside the schiit foodchain.
Is there such a place?

Vali2 and Modi Multibit is probably the maximum value audio source and amplification on the market. He won't be disappointed, but, the stock tube is sort of... bad, if you get one like the one I got. I've rolled quite a few and settled on NOS Amperex from Holland and big stupid 6SN7s with all the adapters as my favorites.

As for absolute best bang for the buck headphone, I don't think anyone has suggested this yet, but it's got to be the Fostex T-series RP Mk III with some modifications. Occasionally, T40 (fully closed variant) go on sale for as low as $110 new, and an hour or two of work, maybe $50 in pads, and $10 at your local craft store and you can have something that IMO bests the HD6X0 easily (except for efficiency and aesthetics). Even soundstage on a good closed Fostex mod can be way better than the HD6X0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back