Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 24, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #21,271 of 149,764
Yes. It is a very cool thing about Schiit that they only seem to care about designing the best gear they know how to make for the $. And not how the price/soundquality ratio fits into the product line. Kinda the opposite of apple Who always say it's the best product they ever made when what they actually mean is: "we redesigned a perfectly good product so it fits what we think you will make you pay more for (and "update") while reducing production cost so we can make more $"
This is also what makes it difficult and therefore a little bit frustrating to buy Schiit. We are unaccustomed and therefore sceptical to this alien business model where the producer have not made perfectly sure that their cheaper products are inferior to the top of the line gear in evry way.
So when buying Schiit we are faced with other less defined parameters to choose from than "how much our wallet can spare". Choices such as sound preferences, aesthetics, practicalities(size), connection needs/ -preferences/ -beliefs, add others. Most of which are subjective values and therefore difficult/impossible to fit in a box or diagram or give general true-for-all buying advise to.
Seems that to some extent this could be said about the Headphone market in general. Which I guess is partly the reason why this model it is so successfull and welcomed.
@Pandahead by the look of your heap of Schiit you will most def' be the one I contact if I run out of good rationale to buy more Schiit. :file_cabinet::o2smile:

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #21,272 of 149,764
One of the things I like about Schiit is not only is their gear quality and affordable but they aren't afraid to make great sounding gear that will take sales away from some of their other gear. Jotty (and Jason's development of a unique circuit design, etc.) for example vs Mjolnir 2. Gumby vs Yggy. Mimby vs Bimby. It's been fun following the company develop products over the years and so one tends to collect a lot of Schiit. I still very much enjoy my original Lyr with the right tubes it has a synergy with my original LCD2's that I enjoy. If I don't feel like sitting at my desk I can relax on the bed turn on the little Schiit stack, -instant tunes. You will most certainly enjoy collecting and configuring, and finding very, very, practical, logical, convenient, good for the economy reasons to buy more Schiit! They have so many products now and more stuff coming. Jason generally keeps this thread focused on Schiit gear, so many threads, so little time. I only follow a few. Oh, don't forget to try LISST someday...ooops:beerchug:

You have a wonderful collection of Schiit multibit DACs. Have you ever posted a detailed comparison of them. If not, would you consider doing that? :o2smile:

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #21,273 of 149,764
You have a wonderful collection of Schiit multibit DACs. Have you ever posted a detailed comparison of them. If not, would you consider doing that? :o2smile:

Yes, I have posted my comparisons in the past. My situation in life kept me a lurker here for years. But, I have been collecting Schiit now for almost 5 years (and selling my old gear) The reason is I figured if they can make a product like the original Lyr, then I will wait for them to release other products. I was frustrated with things like, "my turntable still sounds better than my Transporter no matter what I do." And they cost the same. You can read reviews in magazine's of life changing DAC's that cost $10K-30K endlessly. There are few Hi-Fi brick and mortar stores....like none around here. So, I waited over two years for Yggy and got one of the very first ones May 13, 2015. That sealed the deal. They weren't just pedaling Schiit!

So my recommendation is buy what you can afford because it is all good. Sure Yggy is at the top, it's a large superbly executed product, it costs more, but Bimby has that Multibit sound too! And now if you're interested in getting into a two channel speaker system this is the place to be. A well set up speaker system is a different animal than headphones. As time passes and you can afford their fully balanced gear it's likely that Bimby will still be in use but maybe on a night stand. And if you never do that it's still really affordable enjoyable gear.

I still regularly listen to my Lyr and enjoy it. Is Lyr 2 better? Yes, quieter and more versatile, why? Because technology allowed Jason to fit more into the same space and we all benefit. I listen to it every night before falling asleep, fits on the night stand. I thoroughly enjoy it.

Enjoy what you can:beerchug:

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #21,274 of 149,764
Bought a pair of SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation Feet, and a pair of Auralex SubDude-II Isolation Pads. Trying to tame the bass... My Tannoys are sitting on wooden floor and the construction of the apartment building is (I think) muddling the bass.. Too boomy...
Not sure these things will help or not... Still experimenting with placement.

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #21,275 of 149,764
Yes, I have posted my comparisons in the past. My situation in life kept me a lurker here for years. But, I have been collecting Schiit now for almost 5 years (and selling my old gear) The reason is I figured if they can make a product like the original Lyr, then I will wait for them to release other products. I was frustrated with things like, "my turntable still sounds better than my Transporter no matter what I do." And they cost the same. You can read reviews in magazine's of life changing DAC's that cost $10K-30K endlessly. There are few Hi-Fi brick and mortar stores....like none around here. So, I waited over two years for Yggy and got one of the very first ones May 13, 2015. That sealed the deal. They weren't just pedaling Schiit!

So my recommendation is buy what you can afford because it is all good. Sure Yggy is at the top, it's a large superbly executed product, it costs more, but Bimby has that Multibit sound too! And now if you're interested in getting into a two channel speaker system this is the place to be. A well set up speaker system is a different animal than headphones. As time passes and you can afford their fully balanced gear it's likely that Bimby will still be in use but maybe on a night stand. And if you never do that it's still really affordable enjoyable gear.

I still regularly listen to my Lyr and enjoy it. Is Lyr 2 better? Yes, quieter and more versatile, why? Because technology allowed Jason to fit more into the same space and we all benefit. I listen to it every night before falling asleep, fits on the night stand. I thoroughly enjoy it.

Enjoy what you can:beerchug:

Thanks a lot for your response. After 40 years as a two-channel, speaker based audiophile, life changes and such led me to sell my system in 2009 and move on. My last system consisted essential of Vandersteen 5 speakers, Jeff Rowland balanced preamp, John Curl's (who I used to know personally) Parasound JC-1 mono blocks, Basis 2500 turntable with Graham arm and Mike's Theta 5 and CD player connected with AES/EBU. I started getting serious about headphones almost 2 years ago, and my experience with the Theta led me to Bimby. I'll never go back to a speaker based system. Too late in life for that now. But I will eventually upgrade to Gumby or Yiggy. I love my system as it is, and either of those would be icing on the cake.

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #21,276 of 149,764
Schiit has several (many) dacs at various levels of performance. A mimby doesn't give you the level of performance of a Yggy. Will there be any phono pre-amps beyond Mani? Maybe a Gumby or Yggy level phono pre?

THIS! I would love a tube'd Schiit phono stage! Apparently the Mani is a SS version of Moffat's tube'd phono stage. I think it's high-time for a re-issue. I'd also like to reiterate my desire for a Schiit 2ch tube amp (SET preferred, mono blocks would be nice ... maybe using the KT150). I ended up with a Rogue after all the recommendations and positive comments in this thread. It's nice ... but I'd still prefer something a little more Schiitty.
mganga.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #21,277 of 149,764
Trying to tame the bass... My Tannoys are sitting on wooden floor and the construction of the apartment building is (I think) muddling the bass.. Too boomy...

All kinds of reasons for boomy bass but placement is one of the big ones. Do you have a subwoofer?

Jun 24, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #21,278 of 149,764
All kinds of reasons for boomy bass but placement is one of the big ones. Do you have a subwoofer?
I don't have a subwoofer. Eyeing for one from SVS but may not pull the trigger until next year.
Do you think setting the crossover and let the subwoofer handle the base will give me much better result?

Jun 24, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #21,279 of 149,764
Bought a pair of SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation Feet, and a pair of Auralex SubDude-II Isolation Pads. Trying to tame the bass... My Tannoys are sitting on wooden floor and the construction of the apartment building is (I think) muddling the bass.. Too boomy...

Not the most visually pleasing but it does what it promises:
http://www.isoacoustics.com/product...0sub-acoustic-isolation-stand-for-subwoofers/
Placement is difficult when your entire floor is part of your sub :) My floor being over 100 years old and made of wood really needed harsh measures.

Jun 24, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #21,280 of 149,764
THIS! I would love a tube'd Schiit phono stage! Apparently the Mani is a SS version of Moffat's tube'd phono stage. I think it's high-time for a re-issue. I'd also like to reiterate my desire for a Schiit 2ch tube amp (SET preferred, mono blocks would be nice ... maybe using the KT150). I ended up with a Rogue after all the recommendations and positive comments in this thread. It's nice ... but I'd still prefer something a little more Schiitty.

We have similar electronics. I have a Rogue Cronus Magnum as he basis of my system. Its being fed by a Gumby/MicroRendu and a Red VPI Traveler/Lounge Audio LCR. I'd welcome a Tube phone so I could get MC Cartridge

Jun 24, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #21,281 of 149,764
We have similar electronics. I have a Rogue Cronus Magnum as he basis of my system. Its being fed by a Gumby/MicroRendu and a Red VPI Traveler/Lounge Audio LCR. I'd welcome a Tube phone so I could get MC Cartridge

Probably obvious answer to obvious question ... but I'm driving myself crazy between a choosing a Bimby or Gumby ... and I have no opportunity to listen to either unit prior to purchase. Any thoughts or input? I've read the Gumby is warmer than the Yggy (that's a good thing for me). Does the Gumby add a little warmth to your setup? I'm trying to stay with a highly resolving system but like a touch of warmth.

Jun 24, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #21,282 of 149,764
Jun 24, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #21,284 of 149,764
Probably obvious answer to obvious question ... but I'm driving myself crazy between a choosing a Bimby or Gumby ... and I have no opportunity to listen to either unit prior to purchase. Any thoughts or input? I've read the Gumby is warmer than the Yggy (that's a good thing for me). Does the Gumby add a little warmth to your setup? I'm trying to stay with a highly resolving system but like a touch of warmth.

Gumby is very analog sounding. Definitely a warm tone. I really love how it sounds like real instruments in the room as opposed tp really good approximations of instruments. I have heard neither Yggy or Bimby. I am coming from a Rega DAC and Naim UnitiQute. For the majority of music I listen too its great. Keb Mo, Eric Clapton, Sting, Norah Jones, Jack Johnson, Louis Armstrong. If it struggles with anything its Pearl Jam or Metallica, although my speakers are a bit laid back too. (Sonus Faber)

Have you done anything with the Tubes in the Cronus? I found that switching the AU7 to Rca Cleartops was a nice change and also the single pre-amp tube to a Cifte from Upscale Audio. I also tried a fancy Mullard in the pre-amp and it had a glorios midrange, but limited bass.

Looks like you are using a Saga as your pre-amp. How is that working? Why are you using Cronus as just an amp.

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #21,285 of 149,764
Gumby is very analog sounding. Definitely a warm tone. I really love how it sounds like real instruments in the room as opposed tp really good approximations of instruments. I have heard neither Yggy or Bimby. I am coming from a Rega DAC and Naim UnitiQute. For the majority of music I listen too its great. Keb Mo, Eric Clapton, Sting, Norah Jones, Jack Johnson, Louis Armstrong. If it struggles with anything its Pearl Jam or Metallica, although my speakers are a bit laid back too. (Sonus Faber)

Have you done anything with the Tubes in the Cronus? I found that switching the AU7 to Rca Cleartops was a nice change and also the single pre-amp tube to a Cifte from Upscale Audio. I also tried a fancy Mullard in the pre-amp and it had a glorios midrange, but limited bass.

Looks like you are using a Saga as your pre-amp. How is that working? Why are you using Cronus as just an amp.

Extremely useful reply ... I like everything you mentioned ... but also Pearl Jam ...VS on vinyl is AMAZING!

I am currently running a CBS AU7 in the center, new issue Mullard (long plate) for the AX7 PI position, and Raytheon black plate AU7 in the driver positions. I almost have the sound I'm looking for ... but you also mentioned my next tube purchase ... the Cifte. I heard it has a "3D" sound and I just can't get enough of that. I'm thinking about running the Cifte in the center and then a pair of the CBS as drivers.

I am using the Saga as a subwoofer driver and to avoid abusing the potentionmeter in the Cronus. I've never had a potentionmeter last more than a couple years for me ... hoping those relays in the Saga will last for the long-term. It also adds a little more ... tube ... to the Cronus. Another benefit is having the subs run off the Saga ... I can play with the volume just a little bit ... independently of the Cronus.

I think I might go with the Gumby ... I like that "analog" sound and warmth .... and Klipsch is anything but laid back so maybe will do OK with Pearl Jam =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back