Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 3, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #20,701 of 150,702
See I added one of those weasel words. By writing that it might lead to a premature disposal. I did not state that all active transducers are creates alike. And they'll all self-combust in the middle of your favorite opera. Also if it's a class D amp You should be good (from a thermal perspective)
What I do say is that it's a thermally compromised design. It originates from pro audio where it's impractical with amps littered everywhere on the stage and where the time and effort spent on preparing the stage is limited by finance and concert progams. A bit like the formula one pit stops of audio.
And since it's practical and neat(and can be made for cheap) its an easy sell. I bet that's the main reason why it has since been adopted by the home audio and pc crowd.

Putting a big ass speaker amp inside your beloved speakers isn't the brightest idea. Does it sound like the heat dissipation from an amp like Vidar is a joke?
This thermal concern is (physics)not something I've made up. I have it from a good friend who has been selling pro audio solutions for the last 30 years and imports ATC which makes some of the worlds most acclaimed an well made active speakers.
The only actives you'll find in his house are the ones he sell.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #20,702 of 150,702
I was more concerned with weight and the amount of wires running to each speaker.
Amount of wires shouldn't be a concern. One extra power cord per speaker. Speaker cables are traded for RCA cables.

I've had a pair of AR Powered Partners since about 1990, and still using them as desktop speakers. Have needed to replace the foam surrounds once (a common failure in some vintage speakers).

Advent%20AV-570-2T.jpg

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #20,703 of 150,702
Amount of wires shouldn't be a concern. One extra power cord per speaker. Speaker cables are traded for RCA cables.

I've had a pair of AR Powered Partners since about 1990, and still using them as desktop speakers. Have needed to replace the foam surrounds once (a common failure in some vintage speakers).

Advent%20AV-570-2T.jpg

I have a set of those, I had to get new woofers a couple of years ago. I use them on biz trips, I drive so I can bring them along. they make my evening in hotel rooms worthwhile.

Jun 4, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #20,708 of 150,702
Life would be so much simpler if everyone just added a dollar to their product prices...
The picture I posted was a custom build, not mine. A Bob Latino ST120 kit meaning you do the soldering, the tube buying, etc can be had for 929 US dollars. A fully wired and tested version with tubes will cost $1500.

I have no affiliation with Bob or his kits except being a satisfied customer which is why you can google him for yourself if you are so inclined. A GZ33 rectifier tube can cost a lot of money, but is not required. My GZ33 tube is a Mullard original and has the same date code I have which is OCT 1959. That makes me smile.

Jun 4, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #20,710 of 150,702
I know this sentiment has been said before. I don't understand the new format of this site. If Head-Fi wants to add a new feature, give me the ability to upvote/downvote posts. I love the Reddit style, but absolutely hate the community on Reddit (full of trolls and sycophantic fanboys).

Jun 4, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #20,711 of 150,702
Life would be so much simpler if everyone just added a dollar to their product prices...

Referring to Schiit's product pricing. Probably should've quoted the image earlier. My bad. ^^'

Simpler? It's not any more complicated to pay $699 than it is to pay $700. If you are paying online, you are using a credit card or PayPal so there is no difference between the two there. If you are paying in person, you are paying tax so there is no difference there either.

Or, is it that you don't like the psychological pricing game retailers play? Me? I'll take the $1 savings.....

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #20,713 of 150,702
See I added one of those weasel words. By writing that it might lead to a premature disposal. I did not state that all active transducers are creates alike. And they'll all self-combust in the middle of your favorite opera. Also if it's a class D amp You should be good (from a thermal perspective)
What I do say is that it's a thermally compromised design. It originates from pro audio where it's impractical with amps littered everywhere on the stage and where the time and effort spent on preparing the stage is limited by finance and concert progams. A bit like the formula one pit stops of audio.
And since it's practical and neat(and can be made for cheap) its an easy sell. I bet that's the main reason why it has since been adopted by the home audio and pc crowd.

Putting a big ass speaker amp inside your beloved speakers isn't the brightest idea. Does it sound like the heat dissipation from an amp like Vidar is a joke?
This thermal concern is (physics)not something I've made up. I have it from a good friend who has been selling pro audio solutions for the last 30 years and imports ATC which makes some of the worlds most acclaimed an well made active speakers.
The only actives you'll find in his house are the ones he sell.

Mount these on the back of most any speaker, bi-amp, tri-amp....

www.hifisystemcomponents.com/amplifiers/proprius-power-amplifier.html

Jun 4, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #20,714 of 150,702
Powered loudspeakers have never been my thing, but I would not turn down a set of Beolab 90's or Meridian DSP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back