Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #19,066 of 150,612

Bless your little pea pickin' heart. "Cowboys" is one of my favorites. That, and "Beer For My Horses."
biggrin.gif

Yeah...that's Willie Nelson.  An awesome song writer.

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #19,067 of 150,612
Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area, but if you stream music, doesn't that mean that you never purchase and own any of that music?  

Looking for insight here...thanks.

RCBinTN

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #19,068 of 150,612
  Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area, but if you stream music, doesn't that mean that you never purchase and own any of that music?  

Looking for insight here...thanks.

RCBinTN

That is my understanding. Much like ol' fashioned  AM or FM radio.

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #19,069 of 150,612
A USB to AES-EBU magical sonic improver box doesn't make sense to me. If it is possible to take a USB input and convert that signal to AES-EBU, AND a sonic improvement results from this conversion, why is this same technology not existent in the USB input boards that already reside within the DACs? Surly, if you can take USB and make it better, then send it over a wire to your dac, you can skip the wire step entirely. Is Etir a USB replacement board that doesn't suck*?

*I have yet to listen to my Bifrost on the USB input and said to myself, "wow, this sucks." I use it every single day.

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #19,070 of 150,612
I received the latest issue of The Absolute Sound today and they have a very positive review of the Yggdrasil, calling it 'stunningly good'. I've seen a couple of other references to this review, but it's more positive than I expected. Congratulations to the Schiit team!

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #19,071 of 150,612
  I received the latest issue of The Absolute Sound today and they have a very positive review of the Yggdrasil, calling it 'stunningly good'. I've seen a couple of other references to this review, but it's more positive than I expected. Congratulations to the Schiit team!

Yes, that review should sell a lot of Schiit.
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #19,073 of 150,612
I guess they took Jason seriously when he told them after their numerous space ad solicitations to show even a passing interest in Shiit products and he would consider advertising. Look for space ads soon.

I don't know what a space ad is, but there is a full page Schiit "OBSOLETE" ad on page 107.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #19,075 of 150,612
>For products that move: damping is important

Just to double check my interpretation...is the sort of damping being discussed here the same type of damping used on buildings (that really shouldn't move but do anyway) and bridges?

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #19,076 of 150,612
  A USB to AES-EBU magical sonic improver box doesn't make sense to me. If it is possible to take a USB input and convert that signal to AES-EBU, AND a sonic improvement results from this conversion, why is this same technology not existent in the USB input boards that already reside within the DACs? Surly, if you can take USB and make it better, then send it over a wire to your dac, you can skip the wire step entirely. Is Etir a USB replacement board that doesn't suck*?

*I have yet to listen to my Bifrost on the USB input and said to myself, "wow, this sucks." I use it every single day.

As far as I can see, the main thing that such a box does is to (try to) keep various kinds of electrical noise that travel down the USB wire away from the DAC. The physical layer of USB was designed to carry the digital signal correctly and to achieve basic safety regarding DC and mains AC. But those criteria can be met and still have a very noisy connection that interferes with what the DAC (which after all is just a big stack of electronic parts) puts out. If you brought the circuitry of the "magic box" inside the DAC, you'd have to make sure stray noise from the USB side would be contained. Doing it outside the DAC may decrease that potential noise leakage. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #19,077 of 150,612
  Roon Ready Streamer. 

The Schiit-powers-that-be made it very clear they want to stay away from computers (which is what streamers are) as far as possible. If you read forums that discuss streamers, Roon, and the like, you'll recognize their wisdom.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #19,078 of 150,612
I'm also in agreement that some there are going to be some big announcements from Schiit soon. It has been way too quiet on here lately. I expect that we'll see Eitr within the next week or two, whatever it is. A Bifrost multibit upgrade is also a definite possibility, although still uncertain. I think we're also going to see a new Schiit USB card soon. It's been a very long time since they've upgraded it and Gen 3 has been reserved for the Yggdrasil. 

Am I the only one that's a little concerned with the idea of Eitr being yet another box? The proposed Computer > Eitr > Manhattan Project > DAC > AMP chain seems bulky and inelegant to me, and not to mention a cable hell. I'd much prefer DAC upgrades to bring as much of this new technology inside the DAC as possible.

Regardless, I'm excited to see what they have in store for us... 

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #19,079 of 150,612
"the tube manufacturing process is one of those rare processes that is impervious to CI methodologies."  

An interesting thought.  Can you please explain how the process can't be improved?  Thanks.

As a SSBB, I've never seen a process that could not be improved via CI / DMAIC process improvement methods...

All the best -
RCBinTN

Thought I laid the sarcasm on pretty thick...will throw an extra scoop on next time! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #19,080 of 150,612
Could Eitr be a combined product :rocket: :rocket:. An ethernet/ bluetooth / bomb ass usb isolator -> spdif / AES/EBU unit.
And AES/EBU boards to all the upgradable DACs. ??

Almost certainly not, as it violates several Schiit self-imposed rules:
  • They rarely combine functions into single boxes.
  • It's over-specialized -- it only works with Yggy in their product line
  • At the same time, ethernet and bluetooth require software configuration, and Jason and Mike's statements on software user-interfaces are pretty clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back