Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 10, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #18,723 of 150,454
  Somehow I was under the impression that something called the Eitr could be announced at CanJam.
Or some device called the Manhattan Project. Some other forummembers even hinted at knowing what it is but being allowed to speak about it here. I guess I just read too much into things :)

If I remember correctly Baldr said there may be an Incognito Eiter. not an announcement. So those with keen eyes or golden ears may be able to spot it.

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #18,724 of 150,454
I guess that is what I interpreted as an announcement...or at least an unveiling.
No-one who - in hindsight - thinks that that modi-multibit at their CanJam booth sounded way to 3-dimensional?
Or felt their limbs getting heavy while their vision distorted (as with your regular under the counter ether:) while listening to an yggy?

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #18,725 of 150,454

Ah, the Aune X1, brings me equally good and bad memories of my first few steps in audiophilia...

Yes, I know what you mean.  I bought it as a desktop system quite a few years back, and have well outgrown it.  It's noisy, and has awful turn-off thumps through my speakers. Looking forward to getting my Schiit together

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #18,727 of 150,454
There's a Saga tube rolling thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/826632/schiit-saga-tube-rolling  

Many, including myself are happy with the Tung-sol new stock 6sn7 made in Russia. So are a lot of Freya owners in their thread, but they use a quad of the Tung-sol's. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #18,730 of 150,454
  Anybody try swapping the tube in saga yet? Does it make a difference?
And what kind of tube would I wanna be looking for? Is it a `standard` sized tube?

You are looking for a 6SN& or a Compatible Variant. The Saga Tube Rolling thread as Rono Pointed out. There is also the reference 6SN7 thread 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread  
It's Not Saga Specific but a good place to get familiar with the 6SN7 Family and peoples impressions of the tubes overall. Many (Including Baldr) have said the RCA Red Base 5962 is the Bomb. But others have found variants they like as much or more. Be prepared for the Rabbit hole you are about to enter. I to Cheap to get the Red Base 5962 as it seems since the freya and sage have been released the prices have gone up. Kosh Naranek turned me on to the RCA 6SN7 Black base variant which He tells me works well in the Saga and I tried a pair on the input side of my freya and they just stayed their as I like them very much.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #18,732 of 150,454
Paul McGowan, the co-founder and President of PS Audio sends out a short, daily email with his thoughts regarding audio reproduction. Today he shared a story regarding the importance of cables, featuring our very own Baldr:

Tying it together

I would be remiss if I didn’t spend a few words on tying our system together with cables: power, interconnect, speaker.

I remember when cables were an afterthought. Zip cord and cheezy RCA drek did the trick until we realized they mattered.

My first encounter with cables came from one of the founders of Schiit Audio, Mike Moffat. Mike worked as a tech at a California stereo shop called Absolute Audio and Stan and I showed up to pitch our first product, the phono stage. I think this must have been around 1974. Mike gave it a listen and was impressed but before we left he turned our world upside down with an A/B between zip cord and Polk Sound wire (then called Cobra Cable – Litz wire) on a pair of Quad electrostats.

Mike wouldn’t tell us what he was doing. It was simple. Listen to this—now listen to the same thing after I make a change. Hear any difference? Holy crap! As I said, it was life changing. Literally.

Cables matter and how much you spend on them really depends on your budget.

During this series, I have emphasized putting limited funds where they matter most. The fundamentals are critical: speakers, source, AC power, amplification.

Somewhere in the mix, you’re going to need to get good cables—and they don’t have to cost a fortune. But, they matter. A lot.

If I had to make a recommendation of the order of importance, it would look something like this:
  1. Speaker cables
  2. Audio interconnects (and always go balanced when the equipment permits it)
  3. Digital
  4. Power

Get those right and you’ll build a strong foundation supporting the time, effort, and expense you’ve gone through building your system.

It all matters.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #18,734 of 150,454
Have a missed any news about Eitr? I thought that was supposed to be announced last week? All in good time...

Meanwhile, I just jumped on a black Mimby for giggles.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #18,735 of 150,454
Speaking of PS Audio..
I know a lot of us think it's all snake oil and fraudiophiliae.
I live in an old house in the pittoresque town of Delft in the Netherlands.
Building started just before WW2, then it was pilfered for wood to feed the stoves during the war and completed just after.
The electro-grid is updated since then but still not modern in any way.
If I sit in silence (which I do when reading) you can hear the pulses the energy company sends over the grid to turn on/off extra capacity, street lights etc.
When listening to music those noises are (depending on time of day and the mood of my dear cat Constanza ((see picture)) very annoying indeed. It is here that the PS Audio P5 AC re generator gives a lot of relief.
So for me it's not about tone dept, spacing, harmony, ding dong or dong ding. It just keeps me from throwing the whole lot out of the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back