Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #18,226 of 151,028
Thank you very much for replying to my question. I am aware of the likes of say Audioquest Jitterbug which claims USB line and signal filtering amongst others and another variant iFi iPurifier 2.

Both options are compact and am wondering if you place a Jittetbug at the point of USB connection to your PC, would this be as beneficial compared to Wyrd? I am rapidly stepping out of my depth now, but if one thing is rooted in me, Schiit would not produce something that resides in the land of the Dark Magic. At least I hope so!

So stick with Wyrd or.....?

​The drawback with Wyrd might be it's size and it's being a powered device. On the plus side it's a powered device. It can easily bridge some distance. Let's say the most convenient place for your digital source and your dac is 8 feet apart. Not a problem, but you will need an extra usb cable. You can't do that with a Jitterbug. The Wyrd  does more in the sonic improvement part of the game also. It is true Eitr should be coming sometime in May. Welcome to Schiit 
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #18,227 of 151,028

The drawback with Wyrd might be it's size and it's being a powered device. On the plus side it's a powered device. It can easily bridge some distance. Let's say the most convenient place for your digital source and your dac is 8 feet apart. Not a problem, but you will need an extra usb cable. You can't do that with a Jitterbug. The Wyrd  does more in the sonic improvement part of the game also. It is true Eitr should be coming sometime in May. Welcome to Schiit 
smile.gif

Really appreciate the advice kind Sir and the welcome to the Schiit family!

There is no rush so as stated elsewhere, wait to have a look at the Eatr is sound advice to me!

Cheers :)

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #18,228 of 151,028
The latest Stereophile (with the 500 recommended products) takes another dig at Schiit, IIUC.  At the end of the measurements section of the AVM amp (integrated?) there's a drive-by slam at "idiosyncratic amp designs."   IIRC, that's how one of the Schiit amps was described.

Now, they are starting to annoy me.  It's one thing to be in the pockets of the manufacturer but quite another to go out of one's way to be demeaning.

Oh, and 6moons?  I thought the whole thing was an exercise in click-bait.  After all, why put a review on one page when it can be spread over 6-10, all of which are fill 2/3-3/4 of the viewable area with ads?

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #18,229 of 151,028
Like newspapers, they are a dying media. I would suspect they are pissed that Schiit figured out how to get to the market and consumers without them. They are slowly being relegated to the scrap heap of history.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #18,233 of 151,028

Playing around with input or output connectors in the "on" mode has resulted in my Yggy's Sample Rate Indicator lights going out and it passes no signal through the unit. I only have 44.1 CD player connected AES or Coax so it's not like it's constantly having to deal with sample rate changes. The unit seems to go "off line" (but not 100% of the time) when I screw around with the IC plugs. Simply restarting the unit always fixes the issue. Not screwing around with connectors in the "on" mode prevents it altogether.

No offense intended, but What are you guys doing screwing around with interconnects with power on? Do not do that! 

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #18,234 of 151,028
I have seen a lot of USB 2.0 interfaces, even on fairly high end laptops, short chassis to digital ground. Has created some impressive smoke in MIL isolated gear. Usually, when you get to USB 3.0, 3.1 or type C, the manufacturer has figured out to stop making that stupid mistake. To test, try using a DMM to measure resistance between the shell of the down stream connector and pin 4 of the USB plug while plugged into your unpowered source. If 0 ohms, well, there you go. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #18,235 of 151,028
The deprogramming thesis should have started with cables. I have to dig up that article where published audiophiles could not tell the difference between multi thousand dollar speaker cables and coat hangers, yes literal coat hangers twisted together. As for power cables, you have to run them back to your utility. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #18,236 of 151,028
Twisted-pair coat hangers do indeed perform well above their price :p

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #18,238 of 151,028
Here's a thought experiment: what could you do for the ultimate gag on April Fool's day?  

Just leaving that out here for now.

Watch this space.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 30, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #18,239 of 151,028
  Here's a thought experiment: what could you do for the ultimate gag on April Fool's day?  

Just leaving that out here for now.

Watch this space.

​The Rane PI14 remains one of my favorite.  http://www.rane.com/pi14.html

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #18,240 of 151,028
How about a new component from Schiit Audio like a centralized powered control hub (I'm thinking about the size of my Gungnir) that you plug all of your Schiit AC plugs into the back and it has a row of power on/off switches running all along the front panel? This way we never have to hear again about the power switch being on the rear panel. 
biggrin.gif

Maybe even add a couple glowing tubes (battery powered of course) to the top panel to add extra bloom to the AC supplied to the plugged in Schiit gear. I didn't sleep last night by the way... 

I'm not certain of the Norse words for "no reach around required."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back